title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WHS "not connected to server"

WHS "not connected to server"

My Transporter and Squeezeboxes have all gone dark.When I try to start WHS on my laptop I get the above message.Nothing's been unplugged.How do I get things running again?

Re: WHS "not connected to server"

I've managed to bring things back to life by swiching off RipNAS,switching off the router and the switching them back on again.
    Now,however,my WHS network is critical.When I click into the red icon,I'm given a horrifying list of problems :-
    "The back up database has errors.
    Back up service not running.
    Storage Status - ST315003 4T AS has failed.Ensure it is connected.If the problem continues,add a new hard drive and then remove the failed hard drive from your server storage using the console."
    There are then listed file conflicts :-
    Recorded TV shared folder
    Public shared folder
    Software shared folder
    Sonos shared folder
    Videos shard folder
    Photos shared folder
    Robert shared folder
    Music shared folder.
    The RipNAS was recently shipped back to Austria for a replacement DVD drive.What is needed to put things right?

Administrator

One of your HDDs has died, you will have to return to have it replaced.

Spoon,
    Could you give me mCube's address again,please.
    Do I need to send the extra HDD box this time,the one that sits beneath the RipNAS?

Administrator

hfx.at is their web site - they will likely want to work with you to find out which HDD has failed, internal or external.

After several emails from Ernst at mCubed,they reached the same conclusion that an HDD had failed.I've posted it back to Austria .

Re: hi from fan

Dear Mr Spoon,
    My RipNAS has returned from Vienna repaired and ready to roll.
    Unfortunately,the power supply brick appears to have failed.When I plug it in,the LED flashes in time to a clicking sound from the brick.It's labelled 12V 5A 60W.Where can I get a relacement,please?
    Also,when it's up and running again,I'd like to rig up an automatic back-up of the HDD's to an external drive.WHS is on a laptop,the RipNAS is on a shelf with the hi-fi.How to I go about this?
    Many thanks,
    Robert.

Administrator

HFX would be able to supply a new PSU for you.

See re backup:

http://www.informationweek.com/byte/...mory/231000247

Many thanks, Spoon.I'll give HDX a call in the morning and sort out the back up so I don't lose data in the future.

Received the new power supply from Austria today.It allowed the RipNAS to power up and deliver music but,unfortunately, only for an hour or so before crashing.Neither blue or yellow light illuminated.
    I've reached the end of my tether now.The repair cost me £300 plus postage and insurance.Not good value for an hour's music.
    Do you know anywhere I can sell this 1TB RipNAS with 3TB storage box.Very little use since new in 2009 with replacement CD drive and two new factory fitted hard disc drives?

Administrator

I would contact HFX once more and see what they suggest.
    I do not see you being able to sell the RipNAS in a non-working state for anything more than a token value, ebay would be a starting point.

Spoon,
    It was the new power supply that had failed.HFX are sending a replacement.
    Whilst the RipNAS briefly worked,I noticed about 2000 of my ripped CDs are now no longer present after the HDD failures and the CDs still present have tracks missing.
    If I re-rip the CDs still on the RipNAS will it over-wright the original,spoilt version or will I then have two versions of each CD,one with missing tracks and one complete?
    Is it best to wipe everything and devote another large chunk of my life re-ripping my collection?

Administrator

It should overwrite the original (if it is there),

If there are a few duplicates it should be easy to find and delete.

Spoon,
    I received a replacement power brick to replace the replacement which failed after an hour or so's use.The system is up and running again.
    My next problem is that Windows Home Server won't recognise my password.How can I rectify this, please?

Administrator

Contact www.hfx.at they will be able to assist with the password.