title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Local Backup with AudioSafe

dBpoweramp Guru

Local Backup with AudioSafe

I know the idea is to keep a cloud backup, and thats great. My 2TB of flac files are currently uploading. However, it would be great if AudioSafe could also be used to synchronize a local backup. I keep a second external HD that bring home to sync a backup, but think AudioSafe could probably do this better and faster.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Local Backup with AudioSafe

Ideas ... I would be willing to pay for some “AudioSafe Client Reference” which solves the following (the first two features should not be too hard?):

User will often change metadata without changing audio. A backup application could

- keep track of audio-only checksums on the backup volume V: -- and, upon update, on the working volume W:
    - compare V:\file.flac with W:\file.flac by audio checksum. If matches: update the metadata block. If it does not match: YELL!
    (For checksummed audio formats: Could consider a quick mode which merely reads the checksum from the .flac, and in a safer mode which actually verifies.)

This would protect against committing errors to the backup. Application must know the file format internals. AudioSafe surely does.

Sometimes, user will even change file names (and folder names), e.g. to reflect corrected metadata. If there are no audio duplicates, the backup application may report “x files changed name [view/OK/skip], y files new [view/OK/skip], z files to be removed [view/OK/skip]”. If there are duplicates, then add another line.

Again, I bet AudioSafe knows enough to implement this.

If the application knows not only file formats, but also file system internals, then it can even backup the file table, audio checksums per file ID, and know for sure that this file was overwritten with something with new metadata and same audio, regardless of naming. If a file ID changes audio, then YELL AT USER. (And show differences to backup.)

This likely requires more development, and it might be a bit too advanced for some users (will a user understand that if you copy a file and delete the original, you have a different file ID?), but it is certainly a security measure.