View Full Version : Problems encoding WAV to WMA when source properties don't match target properties

06-05-2002, 05:58 AM
I have problems converting WAV to WMA when the source properties (in this case 44khz, stereo) don't match the target properties (in this case 22khz, mono). The output sounds like played at half speed.

Everything seems to work fine if I adjust the source before the conversion. I also tested the Windows Media Encoder, but WME really needs a batch conversion mode. ;)

Here are the files:

Source (349 kbyte): http://www.artifact-media.de/test/1_original.wav
Encoded with dbPowerAmp (23 kbyte): http://www.artifact-media.de/test/1_dbp.wma
Encoded with Windows Media Encoder (9 kbyte): http://www.artifact-media.de/test/1_wme.wma

The settings were: Mono, 22Khz, 20kbit/s

06-05-2002, 08:54 AM
Hmmm... bizarre.

Effort is being put into improving the quality of conversions between different frequencies and stereo modes in dMC, so I guess you should watch this space.

06-05-2002, 12:02 PM
Hmmm, I was using Microsoft sample supplied code to match a profile, but it can fail (the words monkeys and peanuts spring to mind...). It is now fixed give it a try:



(post edited by totalXSive so that the link would work)

06-06-2002, 02:55 AM
Seems to work perfectly. :happy: