title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

CD Ripper default to MusicBrainz

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MarkSealey
    • Nov 2020

PeterP,

Thanks for jumping in here! I love dBpoweramp; but want to make sure I have every last configuration set as optimal for ripping my CD collection :-)

Originally posted by PeterP
    Please check CD Ripper Options / Meta Data & ID Tag / ID Tags / Write ID Tags
    Make sure Catalog # isn't unchecked on the list of tags to write.
    Yes; have checked - and it's as it always has been: checked.

This screen grab shows an example. Say that I want to rip this CD:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Catalog number not saved.png
Views:	80
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	327977

I think those settings in CD Ripper are correct, aren't they?

Also, what other program isn't reading the Catalog # tags?
    When I load the ripped files in their folder (named 'CD1' etc) into Yate, there is no Catalog number in that field there.

Are these tags visible in dBpoweramp itself, if you navigate Batch Converter to ripping output folder, right click some file and Edit ID Tags?
    Yes.

Thanks for any pointers that you can give, please, Peter!

Comment

• MarkSealey
      • Nov 2020

Doug,

Thanks so much for that!

I have to say, it looks promising, doesn't it :-)

Originally posted by Doug Mackie
      …turned out to be simple: catalog numbers were indeed stored in the ripped files but with a nonstandard tag name: CATALOG #.
      … … …
      FLAC: CATALOGNUMBER
      That would certainly explain it, wouldn't it! (I use only FLAC)

If so, may I ask, please: how would I correct this in dBpoweramp - given my settings as per the grab in my post above?

…In other respects, the ripper works great for me…
      Same here. I recently extended my subscription to well over 700 days :-)

Thanks again - your help very much appreciated!

Comment

• Ian Berrington
        • Jun 2024

Hi guys, I've been busy. Ripped the entire collection into FLAC as well as MP3. After that using another program a bit iffy I managed to rip to ISO about 200 out of 220 DVD's. Took some time and the other program was about all I could find for DVD'S, they are all Chinese and a bit dodgy.

I'm now going back to some audio discs I had issues with before. I'm ripping to files on a MacBook (not iTunes) with ultra secure enabled. I have quite a few black CD'S and am using an Apple USB Superdrive to rip. Almost all of the black discs are giving me problems from insecure rip to getting stuck in the drive or sometimes just ejecting on their own. Is there anything I can try in settings to improve the results? Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Doug Mackie
          • Feb 2022

Originally posted by MarkSealey
          If so, may I ask, please: how would I correct this in dBpoweramp - given my settings as per the grab in my post above?
          AFAIK this name error is hard-coded in dBpoweramp and must be fixed by the developers.

I use Mp3tag for tag editing and music file management, and it allows mapping of tag names. So what I did was to map the dBpoweramp tag name to the standard tag name, which allows the data to appear in Mp3tag. This was not a fix but a workaround.

I did not try to create a custom tag name in dBpoweramp called CATALOGNUMBER but you could try that.

As for your screen shot, sorry but it is too small for me to read the text. The forum software may be to blame.
          Attached Files

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Ian Berrington
            Hi guys, I've been busy. Ripped the entire collection into FLAC as well as MP3. After that using another program a bit iffy I managed to rip to ISO about 200 out of 220 DVD's. Took some time and the other program was about all I could find for DVD'S, they are all Chinese and a bit dodgy.

I'm now going back to some audio discs I had issues with before. I'm ripping to files on a MacBook (not iTunes) with ultra secure enabled. I have quite a few black CD'S and am using an Apple USB Superdrive to rip. Almost all of the black discs are giving me problems from insecure rip to getting stuck in the drive or sometimes just ejecting on their own. Is there anything I can try in settings to improve the results? Thanks in advance.
            you should probably start a new thread. this is buried in the MusicBrainz tagging thread but has nothing to do with this so likely won't be seen by many. To answer your question, I'm not aware of any setting that would help. But others may have ideas.

Comment

• MarkSealey
              • Nov 2020

Doug,

Thanks so much for your reply!
              Originally posted by Doug Mackie
              AFAIK this name error is hard-coded in dBpoweramp and must be fixed by the developers.
              I use Mp3tag for tag editing and music file management, and it allows mapping of tag names. So what I did was to map the dBpoweramp tag name to the standard tag name, which allows the data to appear in Mp3tag. This was not a fix but a workaround.
              I did not try to create a custom tag name in dBpoweramp called CATALOGNUMBER but you could try that.
              Thanks. What I actually did was add 'CATALOGNUMBER' in dBpoweramp itself as a 'new' item; when saved and imported into my tagger, Yate, that field was there as well.

Solved! Thanks. Your knowledge of the standard did it. Much appreciated :-)
              As for your screen shot, sorry but it is too small for me to read the text.
              So sorry :-( I'm partially-sighted myself so I do sympathize.

On a Mac you can drag any image from the browser (at least Safari and FireFox) to the desktop to look at them in graphics software.

I think I'm almost set now.

Although more thorough documentation on this aspect of dBpoweramp > CD Ripper would be helpful.

Thanks again!

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

Use the DSP effect ID Tag Processing set to map the tag
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• MarkSealey
                  • Nov 2020

Thanks, Spoon - if this is in reply to mine (and not Ian's), may I ask you to give just a little more detail (where and how), please: still learning. Thanks!

Originally posted by Spoon
                  Use the DSP effect ID Tag Processing set to map the tag

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Doug Mackie
                      • Feb 2022

Thank you for this useful reference, Spoon.

I hope that this naming error is on your fix list. Otherwise users will continue to be baffled when their catalog numbers do not appear as expected in other applications.

Comment

• MarkSealey
                        • Nov 2020

Got it. Thank you!

What’s the advantage of/difference between mapping CATALOGNUMBER where you kindly suggest over adding it in:

CD Ripper Options > Meta Data & ID Tag > ID Tags > Write ID Tags

please?

Comment

• Spoon
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

It is not an error, the official list of Flac ID Tags does not have catalog number, however we will adopt to any most used.
                          Spoon
                          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Spoon
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

The only current standard tags for flac are these:

Not even album artist...anyhow on this page:

has 3 links for proposed extensions, the first link has:

LABELNO record labels often put the catalog number of the source media somewhere on the packaging. use this tag to record it.

The next link which is dead, but in archive.org has:

These fields should be the same for every track in an album. Vorbis provides ALBUM and ORGANIZATION. ORGANIZATION is a bit ambiguous, though, since different companies are often involved in production and publishing, so PUBLISHER was added. To provide a unique identifier for an album in the spirit of ISRC for tracks, PRODUCTNUMBER and CATALOGNUMBER were added.

and the last which is Vorbis official:

https://wiki.xiph.org/Field_names
                            1. PRODUCTNUMBER – recommended because two different field names have been proposed
                            It is a right mess, 3 different tags for the same thing.

Not one of those pages has Album Artist.
                            Last edited by Spoon; September 25, 2024, 10:12 AM.
                            Spoon
                            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• MarkSealey
                              • Nov 2020

Referring to the two posts explaining two (different) ways to ensure that catalogue numbers are ripped and saved (use specifically ‘CATALOGNUMBER’):
                              1. CD Ripper Options > Meta Data & ID Tag > ID Tags > Write ID Tags, which I have got working with 100% success, and
                              2. using the DSP effect ID Tag Processing set to map the tag,
                              what are the differences, please; and is one preferable to the other?

Thanks in advance for anyone’s answer :-)

Comment

Working...

]]>