title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

CD Ripper default to MusicBrainz

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MarkSealey
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast

• Nov 2020

CD Ripper default to MusicBrainz

CD Ripper in Release 2024-05-30 (6) on macOS 13.6.7.

I want to default to MusicBrainz for retrieved metadata. For batch ripping on multiple drives, usually. But potentially always.

Is this the best practice, please:
    1. Is it safe/best practice simply to uncheck everything except 'MusicBrainz' in the Active providers dropdown?
    2. If I do, will they remain available in the future if I ever need them again?
    3. Or should I keep anything else in that list ('PerfectMeta', 'dBpoweramp cache', 'Acurate Rip Meta' etc?)?

TIA!
    Last edited by MarkSealey; September 13, 2024, 02:26 AM.
  • Dat Ei
    dBpoweramp Guru

• Feb 2014

You can enable / disbale the different metadata sources forth and back and whenever you want. If you just check one source, it might happen that no metadata will ne found while the sources would have those. I prefer to use all different online metasources plus CD Text plus PerfectMeta and just in case check which source gave me the best metadata to my liking.

Dat Ei

Comment

• MarkSealey
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast

• Nov 2020

Dat Ei - thanks so much for your quick and helpful reply!

Originally posted by Dat Ei
      You can enable / disbale the different metadata sources forth and back and whenever you want.
      Do those sources which I disable remain available in the dropdown? They're not hidden in a Plist somewhere, are they?

If you just check one source, it might happen that no metadata will ne found while the sources would have those.
      Thanks; I can see how that might happen.

…plus CD Text plus PerfectMeta…
      I'm not sure what each of these does. Are they documented somewhere, please: I'd like to be able to understand the features and functionality of all these metadata source options.

(BTW, I tried to edit this post of mine last night: although I could save it and the text came up containing my edits, only the original/first version before I tried to edit it. Is this useful in troubleshooting what appears to be a bug in (this implementation of) the vBulletin software?)

Thanks again in advance for any help on offer for best practices with metadata sources…

Comment

• Dat Ei
        dBpoweramp Guru

• Feb 2014

You can enable / disable the different sources as often as you like.

CD Text refers to additional metadata stored on the CD itself. Not every CD has those metadata.

Da Ei

Comment

• MarkSealey
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast

• Nov 2020

Dat Ei,

Originally posted by Dat Ei
          You can enable / disable the different sources as often as you like.
          Got it. Thanks. Good to know :-)

CD Text refers to additional metadata stored on the CD itself
          And:
          1. PerfectMeta
          2. dBpoweramp cache
          3. Acurate Rip Meta'
          ???

Are these documented somewhere, please; I did look?

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

PerfectMeta combines the metadata looking for spelling mistakes

The cache is just that a cache, any previously known disc it takes from the cache (last say 50 discs stored)

AccurateRip Meta is our own meta database created from PerfecftMeta, so will be the most accurate out there eventually.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• MarkSealey
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast

• Nov 2020

Many thanks, Spoon!

All clear now :-) .

So for my purposes (the most accurate tagging for Classical music, preparatory to importing into Roon) would a good combination be to enable these four:
              • PerfectMeta
              • dBpoweramp cache
              • AccurateRip Meta
              • MusicBrainz
              and - over time - to compare each table to see which results in the 'best' set of data?

Comment

• MarkSealey
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast

• Nov 2020

Following up, if I may: I did try deselecting the sources I don't want. But all of them return on each new launch of dBpoweramp:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Selections return.png
Views:	278
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	327876

Nor can I see a way actually to make MusicBrainz come first as a default.

Thanks in advance for any ideas here, please…
                Attached Files

Comment

• MarkSealey
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast

• Nov 2020

Is someone able to help with my question, please: is there a documentation page which explains in detail how to use the metadata databases - especially which is the most accurate for classical music?

Thanks in advance…!

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

You would enable them all and let the system work it out. For classical there is no better database, they are all so-so with regards to classical (such as composer, conductor).
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• MarkSealey
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast

• Nov 2020

Thank you, Spoon!

I've been doing this for months (years?!); never sure what I'm doing, though.

I suspect(ed) I could tweak it a bit.

When you say that the 'system [can] work it out', do you mean I just let CD Ripper somehow grab all those database's data; and that it will then fill in each field with what dBpoweramp 'knows' to be the most accurate?

How does it do that?

I'd also like to put catalog numbers in. But I can't get them to stick - even when entering manually in the Meta vertical tab.

Any ideas, please?

Thanks so much in advance… !

Originally posted by Spoon
                      You would enable them all and let the system work it out. For classical there is no better database, they are all so-so with regards to classical (such as composer, conductor).

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

Does not stick as in, if you click off the track and back to it, it is gone? or when ripping, there is no catalogue number?

PerfectMeta takes data from all the databases and cross checks for errors.
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• MarkSealey
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast

• Nov 2020

Spoon,
                          Originally posted by Spoon
                          Does not stick as in, if you click off the track and back to it, it is gone?
                          No.

or when ripping, there is no catalogue number?
                          Yes; that's right: although I can enter each catalog number (which I get from various sites with each CD's details) before ripping (and it always does stay in the vertical 'Meta' tab), it's never there - for any of a good three or four dozen labels whatsoever - when I then load it into my tagging software.

PerfectMeta takes data from all the databases and cross checks for errors.
                          That seems like the best of all worlds. So (how?) can I force a rip to take (only, first) from PerfectMeta, please?

Comment

• PeterP
                            Super Moderator
                            • Jul 2011

Please check CD Ripper Options / Meta Data & ID Tag / ID Tags / Write ID Tags
                            Make sure Catalog # isn't unchecked on the list of tags to write.

Also, what other program isn't reading the Catalog # tags?
                            Are these tags visible in dBpoweramp itself, if you navigate Batch Converter to ripping output folder, right click some file and Edit ID Tags?

Comment

• Doug Mackie

• Feb 2022

Originally posted by PeterP
                              Please check CD Ripper Options / Meta Data & ID Tag / ID Tags / Write ID Tags
                              Make sure Catalog # isn't unchecked on the list of tags to write.

Also, what other program isn't reading the Catalog # tags?
                              Are these tags visible in dBpoweramp itself, if you navigate Batch Converter to ripping output folder, right click some file and Edit ID Tags?
                              In my DBPA rips I could never read catalog number tags in other applications. Output files from the Music Converter had the same problem. All other tag values set by dBpoweramp appear as expected in all my applications. The reason turned out to be simple: catalog numbers were indeed stored in the ripped files but with a nonstandard tag name: CATALOG #.

The standard tag names are:
                              MP3 TXXX:CATALOGNUMBER
                              MP4: com.apple.iTunes:CATALOGNUMBER
                              FLAC: CATALOGNUMBER

These names appear in the tag mapping tables at Hydrogen Audio. "CATALOG #" is not listed there for any file type.
                              I have not checked all types of dBpoweramp output files for this naming error, but that might be a good idea. In other respects, the ripper works great for me.
                              Last edited by Doug Mackie; September 19, 2024, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Working...

]]>