title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

trying to rip CD ive done all i can think of. please help resolve this popping.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dat Ei
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Feb 2014

Ok, now I get it. I hear the popping and crackling sound of the second example too.

Dat Ei

Comment

• Overlord_Laharl
      • Aug 2015

ok i decided to try a rip on linux mint in its live environment (i didnt want to destroy data on a HDD for this) and it still sounds like its gargling marbles.
      so im going to assume this is a hardware issue and not an OS issue.

time to contact my motherboard vendor about this directly.
      in case your curious heres the rip from linux: https://files.catbox.moe/jr4s7b.wav

Comment

• Overlord_Laharl
        • Aug 2015

ok more troubleshooting has happened and it was a hardware issue. but im happy to see this
        Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	48
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	325985

heres what i tried in order of attempts
        DCed SATA power from drives so they are not powered. left sata data connected. - no change
        moved CD drive to a different SATA port like @andrew_deaco15ce02eb said, i was already connected to one of the direct to CPU sata ports. SATA_2 to be specific. i moved to SATA_1 - no change

removed Video card to switch to my APUs onboard graphics (that was its own whole fiasco because im using CSM mode cause the data on my NVME originates from a OLD windows 7 install, so its MBR, and this board onboard graphics wont work in CSM mode) because of the issues i decided to see test this and a few other things at once. - not tested yet
        DCed the 12VHPWR from the power supply - not tested yet
        moved the optical drive to from SATA_1 to SATA_A3 - testing start

using my ventoy boot disc i booted into linux mint live, used rythum box to play the CD and it was clear as day. no noise. just music.

i went into my part room and grabbed the old GTX 1650 from my old build and my PSU box for the needed PCIE power cable. got that connected and was able to cinfigure accurate rip. so for now im just going to rip the CDs i missed. and see what my options for the issue are.
        im assuming the issue is EMI as the GPU heatsink is over the SATA ports.

so now that the main issue was found. what can i do to fix it when i go back to my newer GPU Geforce RTX 4070 TI SUPER
        is there a shielded SATA cable i can use, or is there a mod i can do to the cable to shield it.

Comment

• Overlord_Laharl
          • Aug 2015

ok. i fixed it. CD audio is now working.

the last 2 things i did was wrap a SATA cable in copper tape, and cover that in kapton tape to protect the tape from nicks.

[SPOILER="heres what it looks like"]
          Click image for larger version

Name:	rn_image_picker_lib_temp_704a8816-1255-43f6-9c8e-53a6f3e0b911.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	326149 Click image for larger version

Name:	rn_image_picker_lib_temp_cc1d7338-7a20-41b6-b5a1-2877f74a2bf5.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	326151 Click image for larger version

Name:	rn_image_picker_lib_temp_ba2c16c3-b878-43c7-b0ab-e49f5627dfc8.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	326152[/SPOILER]

i also moved the routing of the power cable a little. (im using a 12vhpwr cable direct from my PSU, no adapter) so now its a little further away from the SATA as im sure this high power cable didnt help.

to summarize this issue as a whole for future reference.

i had audio that was staticky when i played it from CD or ripped it. sample: https://files.catbox.moe/fy9e3o.wav
          after much hair pulling i traced the issue down to my GPU, but it could have been the power cable routing.

so i decided to try 2 things to fix this. wrap the SATA cable in metal tape to help prevent EMI (i could have used a ferrite core, but i didnt have any) the tape i had on hand was copper tape i use in soldering. aluminum tape might work too. i also covered the taped up cable in kapton tape, but packing tape could also work for this purpose, but i didnt have that either.

lastly i also rerouted the power cable.

for your trouble shooting start by rerouting the power cables around the sata cable. or the sata cable. if that dosent help. then insulate that cable against EMI that.​
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...

]]>