title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Transcoding from AAC to Ogg

Question Transcoding from AAC to Ogg

Hi everyone.

I've just transcoded an AAC file (in the M4A container) to Ogg, and received the message that the AAC codec needed to be installed, and if I wanted this to be automatically downloaded from the website. I answered yes, and everything converted fine.

I was wondering, though, why would the codec have had to be downloaded? I've transcoded files from AAC to Ogg before, and everything's gone fine. Although, after saying that, those files that I've converted before were created in iTunes - would that have made a difference?

I also tried searching for any newly-installed DLLs in the dBpoweramp Encoder directory, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks.

Administrator

Re: Transcoding from AAC to Ogg

It is just an internal licensing thingy, the next release of dBpoweramp will do away with this requirement.

Hi, and thanks for your reply.

Interesting. In that case, where is the downloaded codec stored, and why was I able to convert from an M4A file generated with iTunes without having to download the codec?

Thanks.

Administrator

Apple Lossless uses a different codec, the aac codec is stored in m4a.all

Hi.

Ah, that makes sense.

I couldn't actually find the DLL in the decoder directory - where is it located?

Thanks.

Administrator

It could be mp4.dll