title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Full length info on id3 "both v1 & v2" setting

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • buttobase
    • Sep 2003

Full length info on id3 "both v1 & v2" setting

well, I was excited when I discovered this setting (btw, kinda hidden in the configuration thing, I am always only using the CD Audio input and was wondering why you can't set that through the options available there). Because I was always writing id3V2 from the filename (I need full track titles not cropped ones), which is a hassle.

So then I found this tought cool, let's do that I need them both anyway, BUT, it writes the same length of info to v2 that is writes to v1. Aha, that is great! so you still get cropped titles although v2 can hold more characters.

Then I tried the never create v1 setting and lo! there are full length v2 that Ithen copy to v1.

ANYWAY, would be nice if that happened automatically, right?

So yeah, maybe think about making the conf accessible from different places and sorting that string length problem out (used the same string for v1 and v2 after it was trimmed? ;-) ).

Otherwise I am full of praise for this program, may it live long and get better by the hour. Now that I sorted out v2 tagging I am perfectly happy, pending above mentioned addition.

later, Felix
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Full length info on id3 "both v1 & v2" setting

>BUT, it writes the same length of info to

It shouldn't do, try this, write some long entries then hold the mouse over the file, does it show the long info on the popup tip?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• buttobase
      • Sep 2003

well ....

hmm, I tried it with inceredibly long info and used a program called tag and rename to look at the resulting tags, and the v2 info was trimmed to v1 length. after I switched to never do v1 they v2's appeared properly.

following procedure:
      - open the folder with the files in tag & rename
      - see short info, argh ;-)
      - re-encode one file with old setting
      - same short info
      - rubbed my eyes
      - encode again
      - same resullt, rubbed eyes, again, double checked conf, restarted dbpoweramp
      - encoded again
      - same short info
      - chage settings to never ...
      - works, long info v2 no info on v1

hmm, try it . . . sorry bout that, now I am kinda happy anyway.

BTW it does proper length on smart tag then v2 only too, but on both it seems to be schnirched.

Comment

• Wayne
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Aug 2002

I currently have dMC (release 10 beta 9) configured to create both v1 and v2 tag ids, and I haven't had problems with the v2 tag being truncated.

As an example:

tag v2 - (We Don't Need This) Fascist Groove Thang (Original Version)
        tag v1- (We Don't Need This) Fascist G

As you can see the v2 tag is longer.

Wayne

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

You need to look at it in my program, Tag & Rename might have bugs.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• buttobase
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Spoon
            You need to look at it in my program, Tag & Rename might have bugs.
            Sorry mate, I cannot un-recreate it, I just tried again. Using release 9 BTW. Well anyway switched to both v1 v2. same as before and even the dbpoweramp mouse over info says tag: v1 & v2 title truncated. same in, Win XP explorer which always displays v2 instead of v1, truncated, so dunno, if its fixed in release 10 fine.

looking forward to that. Do you think it is a good idea to use the beta already? I am not sure if I could find it before, I'll have a look try that and let you know ok?

later

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

Oh right, that was one thing fixed in the Beta version - the beta version is very stable, infact more stable than other peoples releases (it has been in beta for over 1 year, it is getting near release soon).
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• buttobase
                • Sep 2003

aha, well that's cool. where can I get the beta version though? looked all over the place and couldn't find it.

can you give me a link? would be cool.

then yesterday I downloaded and installed the power pack and it just said your power pack evaluation period has expired, but I really can't remember if I ever used it . . . just wanted to try the super fast ripping and compilation coolness, guess Iwould buy it but yeah, trying would be nice, hmm hmm, any idea. if not don't worry my wallet must answer then.

later

Comment

• Razgo
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

to re activate the power pack run this file: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/bin/ReactivatePP.exe

you will find the latest dmc beta here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=2261

and latest beta dap here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=2045

and the beta forum in the same place for all of Spoon's beta products: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

Comment

• buttobase
                    • Sep 2003

cool stuff.

will straight away get beta and power pack going and then rip to rock! I was anyway always amazed by the speed this works in, waiting to see a speeding shock.

hey one last thing, how expensive is the gracenote license? cause ther e is so much more records on CDDB unfortunately. I saw a few free encoders (QCD) on gracenote's website and was wondering how they do it. I think they have a non-commercial license now anyway, mayeb worth checking out if you haven't yet.

thanks for now, you are the best

Comment

• buttobase
                      • Sep 2003

oops!

now both v1 & v2 actually wrote the exact length to v2 and truncated for v1.

EXCEPT for 2 files where v1 tags are now missing altogether, maybe because they have an awfully long track title: "Wolfgang Schneiderhan/Berliner Phiharmoniker/Eugen Jochum / 1. Allegro ma non troppo (Concerto for Violin and Orchestra in D major, op.61)". that's one of them.

so v1 for this one is completely blank. none of the fields have been written.

any thoughts?

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

Gracenote have a licence that says if you use their CDDB then you cannot use Freedb...

Just tried that title and for id3v1 it had:

'Wolfgang Schneiderhan/Berliner'

if you load that track into notepad and look at the end of the file, can you see that line?
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• buttobase
                          • Sep 2003

hmm, well tried it again just the one file and it worked fine, writing the v1 tags you said it writes, and the proper v2 ones.

I'll just run it again on the whole CD and see if that changes anything, cause I wasn't dreaming this, I believe . . . . waiting . . . .

same result, dunno maybe it was a freak accident, can't recreate it now, so let's assume it works ;-)

hey but what is accuraterip? can't seem to find information that tells me what that is about. is that a fingerprinting technology you are using?

hmm CDDB they are a tough nut. have you tried to find out which one is better? is freedb moderated? we here have ripped around 8000 CDs or so and generally get much better results with CDDB. but the rippers that use it are not as good. hmm hmm, tough like I said should get some other people in on this question, if it is possible to ignore the moral concerns behind using CDDB ;-)

later

Comment

• Spoon
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

For accuraterip look www.accuraterip.com
                            Spoon
                            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• buttobase
                              • Sep 2003

another thing . . .

well, everything is kinda peachy now I start fiddling with encoding quality coz I really think that lame does a bad job on high frequency stuff, just encoded some very loud guitar stuff and its full of "unwanted" distortion, and hi-hat's always sound really wobbly and full of artefacts.

Now, good I thought power pack fraunhofer encoding let's try that. but where on earth can I find a mp3enc.exe??? 3.1. even? I have no problem with buying it I reckon but google is pretty modest with results.

any help there. BTW I searched the forum first . . .

Comment

Working...

]]>