title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

64-Bit and/or GPU encoding options?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • volvoguy
    • Nov 2004

64-Bit and/or GPU encoding options?

Hey all!

I've been an illustrate product user for a LONG time, and usually I'm behind the technology curve - but I just got a new iMac (no, not asking what you think. hehe) and I'm running Windows 7 on it as well with Bootcamp.

I'm not sure how much a 64-bit version of the ripper/converter software would speed things up, but I've been playing with some of the Nvidia CUDA accelerated video encoders and plugins and they make a HUGE difference when you use the GPU for acceleration.

AFAIK, you don't have to pay to use CUDA, so there shouldn't be a problem there. I would also think that a "render using GPU (for supported video cards)" checkbox would make it easy to enable/disable that feature for people that can or can't use it.

If you're interested, I'll do some more research and get some links to get you started. :-)

Thanks, and keep up the awesome work! Almost all of Illustrate's products are on my "desert island" wish list. ;-)

Aaron - aka - volvoguy
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: 64-Bit and/or GPU encoding options?

Someone recently created a flac cuda encoder, there was not a huge difference from a modern processor.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• volvoguy
      • Nov 2004

Really? That's weird. I know "stats" can be biased, but the audio/video apps that Nvidia is showcasing, show major speedups when using the GPU. Could it be that batch processing vs just one file makes a difference? My understanding is that the GPU can be handy for things like this because of it's parallel processing abilities. *shrug*

I'd really be interested in testing that build you mentioned if you think the guy would send it to me. You can have him reply here, or email me directly - volvoguy (at) gmail.com

How about the 64-bit deal? Your thoughts?

I'm going to try some of the demos Nvidia has posted and see how they work - if only for my own information (but I'll share if you're interested). I "just" have the top-of-the-line iMac right now, but the new workstation I'm researching to build was kinda based around the GPU processing things that Nvidia, Microsoft and Apple are all using. (I think MS's tech is called DirectCompute, Apple's may or may not be open CL - it's too late to think right now).

Thanks!
      Aaron

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

It is being discussed on hydrogenaudio.org

64 bit would not be a huge speed improvement, but in anycase work is to begin on R14 which will have 32bit and 64 bit native installs, we will be dropping support for Win9x.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• EliC
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

Originally posted by Spoon
          in anycase work is to begin on R14.
          :komisch12 :komisch9: :D

Comment

Working...