title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Discussion of dMC R12 Alpha

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Teknojnky
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2006

Re: Discussion of dMC R12 Alpha

Originally posted by EliC
    Also, there are 2 places for selecting drive and they are not consistent. There is a starting dialog and the menu in the left lower corner. I suggest getting rid of both of these and having drive tabs. These could be along the top or on the left and bring up the whole menu for each different drive in the system and allow for multiple ripping sessions at a time.

Tabs for multiple simultanious ripping would completely rule.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Multi-encoder very shortly after R12 is released (hopefully in January).
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Teknojnky
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2006

As an aside, I'm ripping 3 drives (2 internal, 1 via firewire) simultaniously via 3 instances (on a dual core amd64 4800) and it seems to be functioning fine.. altho single instance multi-rip would be ideal.

Is this a non-intended/supported usage, or is it generally ok and should be problem free?
        Last edited by Teknojnky; December 31, 2006, 07:37 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

I see no problems.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• anders
            • Dec 2003

So far I'm loving R12 -- especially how it remembers destination folders by output encoding type.

A (very) minor irritant: The position of the "output folder changed" tooltip that comes up when changing output encoding type obscures the very information it's bringing to my attention.

Comment

• gerph
              • Dec 2006

Someone on the SlimDevices 'ripping' forums recommended R12 Alpha for use with SlimServer. I had a quick look because I wanted to see how well it worked and whether the general problems with taggers have been addressed. It's not much better than the others in this regard, in my opinion.

It took me a while to find the options for tagging type; once I did find them I was a little confused that the options for encoding allowed 'ANSI' text encoding for ID3v2. There is no provision for ANSI in ID3v2.3. Your choices are ISO 8859-1 and Unicode (UCS-2). If you need to encode the superset of ISO8859-1 that is ANSI you must use Unicode.

There's no option for ID3v2.4 which is a failing of just about every tagger out there and nobody stands out from the crowd by providing this to the best of my knowledge. This is a serious failing in my eyes. Others see it differently but there you go.

MORE serious than this, however, is the fact that the ID3v2.3 frames are being used incorrectly. This may cause the resulting files to play incorrectly on MP3 players. Specifically, where an ID3v2.3 APIC frame is encoded (cover art embedded within the file) it does not take steps to apply the unsynchronisation scheme (ID3v2.3 section 5, whose use is indicated by bit 7 of the ID3v2 tag flags, described in section 3.1). Without such unsynchronisation playback may result in static, blips or other undesired artifacts at the start of the track (at best), and for players which cannot cope with malformed MP3 frames may result in crashes or other undesireable behaviour.

The TCOM (composers) frame value is incorrectly formed. It is using CR (byte 13) to indicate delimited frames. The correct separator is a '/' character (section 4.2.1, frame 'TCOM').

That's what I saw from my very brief look at the program WRT its tagging of tracks with ID3v2.

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

There is an option to read ID3v2.4 but not to write it. See here for some discussion of it: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=10199 and http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...hlight=id3v2.4

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

We say ANSI because for years programs like Winamp have been writing such tags in the local code page. To follow the guidelines so exactly (and anally in my opinion) would mean less functionality for people with older mp3s.

We have decided to stay clear of ID3v2.4 (reading is not even in yet) just for now because the whole situation is a mess with it, I know 3 programs which implement it, and all differently and cause problems for each other. It will appear in R13 after careful testing.

RE Unsync: pretty 100% of modern players can detect adn skip the whole id3v2 tag, rather then trying to blunder through it.

Thanks for the heads up about TCOM.
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• EliC
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • May 2004

Request: get missing meta-data from alt sources

Currently the ripper has quite a few potential sources for meta data, the problem is it seems to be an all or none event. I have had quite a few discs where AMG is missing a few artists tags or song titles that are available in freedb. It would be nice if there was missing metadata if dMC would go to the next source and see if its available there.

Comment

• LtData
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • May 2004

FreeDB should be auto-selected as an alternate source of meta-data. If it does not automatically go there, click the down arrow beside the meta-data button (forget its name) and uncheck AMG, then click the button to retrieve the data. Just note that FreeDB doesn't have album art.

Comment

• Teknojnky
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Dec 2006

Some more random thoughts/suggestions/questions:

- option to eject on completion only if all tracks are accurate or secure with no re-reads

- optional sound triggers on completed accurate/secure/insecure rips (different sounds for each)

- option to always place log in rip folder (having to specify the log path separately is aggravating especially if your ripping to different base paths)

- option to tag or name an insecure file (ie append [INSECURE] to track title)

- album columns in the track list, since the top metadata gets replaced by the total rip progress, it can sometimes be difficult to remember which album the window is, particularly if you have multiple instances open

- app should adjust the ultra secure settings automagically based on if c2 pointers are enabled, or alternatively a mouse over pop up which explains what settings are best suited for C2 and without.

- Other than convenient album art, I am not very impressed with the accuracy of AMG. I'd personally prefer (and pay for) music brainz support.

I had more but I forgot them at the moment...

--------
                        I don't quite understand the significance of ultra secure: min passes, and finish after clean passes and how they relate to each other..

For example, I set min 4, max 10, clean 2..

For non-accurate rip discs I always get first pass + 4 ultra secure passes (or more for dirty tracks) that either end with checked secure or I secure (or error). 5 passes total.

If I reverse them, min 2, clean 4, I still get 4 ultra secure passes for a total of 5.

How are these 2 settings supposed to work?

------
                        Wondering about the significance/relationship of the gray/blue/red border around the track rip progress. Most times its gray, or Red... I'm assuming red means that there were missed c2 pointers or failed re-reads or something. Less commonly I see a blue border and I have no idea what that represents.

------

The ripper is definately very impressive, I've ripped dozens of discs this weekend with it...

I'm eagerly awaiting final release and the updated package prices.

Comment

• LtData
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • May 2004

See here for some explanation on how the CD ripper works: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/secure-ripper.htm

Comment

• Spoon
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

Some good suggestions.

Blue means a difference was noted on a new pass. Red is a frame is insecure.
                            Spoon
                            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Spoon
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2002

AMG sometimes has blanks, using freedb to fill those is a good idea.
                              Spoon
                              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• EliC
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • May 2004

Originally posted by LtData
                                FreeDB should be auto-selected as an alternate source of meta-data. If it does not automatically go there, click the down arrow beside the meta-data button (forget its name) and uncheck AMG, then click the button to retrieve the data. Just note that FreeDB doesn't have album art.
                                If you do this you dont get the AMG data. It should keep the AMG data, but fill in the blanks from freedb.

Comment

Working...

]]>