title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

ID3v2.4

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reardon
    • Mar 2006

ID3v2.4

Hi, any plans to support (in 11.5 update, or in 12) v2.4 of the ID3 tag standard? Foobar2000 has now moved to it, curious if you might.

At a minimum, will you support reading v2.4 tags?

+R
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: ID3v2.4

It is quite funny...I have been following the recent support of id3 2.4 by fb, and his implementation only works with 1 or 2 non-main stream programs. Very odd (early versions of his programs used to remove id3v2 tags! because he didn't like them).

2.4 is far from a main stream standard, there are more problems with it right now, then not (v2.3 is supported with Unicode by practically every program).

We will probabbly add read only support.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Reardon
      • Mar 2006

Good to know you are following. Peter deserves praise for pursuing support for 2.4, but I think he jumped the gun... the standard itself just doesn't promote enough backwards compat to push implementations fw to 2.4. I do think holding at v2.3 while the Unicode stuff (UTF8 vs 16 encoding as default) gets sorted out is best.

If you support reading, that will go a long way to resolving issues.

How do you feel about the "TCMP" field hack that iTunes uses for COMPILATION flag? Are you willing to at least read and display?

+Reardon

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

R12 is not for release until a good many months, we will watch what happens with cross compatibility.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>