title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Ogg Vorbis R12 (using Ogg 1.1.0)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neilthecellist
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2004

Re: Ogg Vorbis R12 (using Ogg 1.1.0)

interesting.

I can't understand why the official ogg vorbis thingy doesn't support quality of -2. I mean, who would want 30 kbps?? ^_^

Actually, I can't be sarcastic. Sometimes I do want low bitrate music too.

Comment

• roytam
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by neilthecellist
      interesting.

I can't understand why the official ogg vorbis thingy doesn't support quality of -2. I mean, who would want 30 kbps?? ^_^

Actually, I can't be sarcastic. Sometimes I do want low bitrate music too.
      Internet radio needs a low bitrate for broadcasting

Comment

• neilthecellist
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2004

For internet radio, can't one live with just 45 kbps? I mean, most people these days have cable and/or DSL. I'm like LITERALLY the only one at my school who is a nerd and has dialup.

Besides, even with a dialup connection, I can handle 45 kbps EASILY. My connection allows that.

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

For internet radio, can't one live with just 45 kbps? I mean, most people these days have cable and/or DSL. I'm like LITERALLY the only one at my school who is a nerd and has dialup.

Besides, even with a dialup connection, I can handle 45 kbps EASILY. My connection allows that.
          Neil, 56kbps is the top connection speed for dial-up, and normally you'd never achieve that anyway. Mostly it may be around the 45kbps mark. This means that listening to internet radio if it were at 45kbps you'd have no bandwidth left over for anything else, and it may not even be sufficient at times for that. This would result in extensive and frequent buffering which is most annoying and ultimately useless.

At 30kbps it will be smooth for most dial-up connections, with enough bandwidth left over to surf a bit as well. You must know that those dial-up accellerators do not work for media files anyway.

There are an awful lot of people still on dial-up in the world and surprisingly lots in rural USA. For some of them even achieving 30kbps is a dream.

In addition to the listener's speed capabilities considerations, the broadcasting server's own bandwidth needs have to be taken into account. At 30kbps they can serve 33% more users than at 45kbps, or put another way, they'll reach top capacity at a higher number of server connections.
          Last edited by ChristinaS; March 05, 2005, 04:05 AM.

Comment

• neilthecellist
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Dec 2004

whoa. wait a minute. My connection speed is always between 54.4 and 55.8 kbps. I can EASILY stream 45 kbps media. EASILY.

Comment

• ChristinaS
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2004

whoa. wait a minute. My connection speed is always between 54.4 and 55.8 kbps. I can EASILY stream 45 kbps media. EASILY.
              So count your blessings LOL! Just don't think you can keep any other browser window open and surf or get email or anyhting else.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Dec 2004

welll, actually, i can surf via Firefox. just go under Tools >> Options >> Web Features and disable "Load Pictures". Then I can surf the Internet. In fact, since I am on dialup, I ALWAYS have the "Load Pictures" feature disabled so web pages load faster. Like right now!

sorry for contradicting you, Christina, but I can surf the web while listening to a 45 kbps stream.

Comment

Working...

]]>