title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Where Can I Find the Relevant Codec?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • robwop

• Apr 2005

Where Can I Find the Relevant Codec?

Recently I bought a Siemens DCA-510 USB data transfer cable for my mc 60 mobile Phone. Its perfect for pictures and inserting sound that I create on the computer.

My only problem is that I cannot convert or listen to ring tones that I create on the phone itself. They are wav files and the specifications (properties/summary) all correspond to IMA ADPCM except for the "Bit Rate - 32kbps", which is missing.

Has anyone been able to extract and play a self recorded ring tone from their mobile?

In other words I have a wave file and it will not play, are there any wav codec experts that know which codec I will need and where to get it?

When I put it in to dbpowerAMP it says:
    [COLOR=Navy]The CODEC required to decompress 'C:\Documents and Settings\Robert\My Documents\Phone\Tones\RingTone.wav' could not be opened.
    ACM Codec Not Installed 'DVI/Intel IMA ADPCM'[/COLOR]

Thanks - Rob
    Last edited by robwop; April 28, 2005, 09:25 PM.
  • robwop

• Apr 2005

Re: Where Can I Find the Relevant Codec?

Calling all codec experts! Please download this ringtone wav file from this link

If you can get it to play please tell me how you did it

Thanks - Rob

Comment

• xoas
      dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2002

The file is sampled at 4 bits, 1 channel, 8 kbs. "Normal" ADPCM is 8 bits.
      Can you tell us any more about this file (where you found out about it, what phone(s) it will play on, etc.). The Megaupload site does not seem to have much information on this.
      There are 100's of possible codecs and, given that this file cannot be opened in dAP, WinAmp, Foobar 2000, WMA, MusicMatch, Nero Wave Editor, Audacity, dMC, I'm afraid that without more information about this file it will be difficult to locate the right codec.

Best wishes,
      Bill

Comment

• robwop

• Apr 2005

I got the file off my Siemens mc 60 mobile Phone.

(The message I posted yesterday goes with the message I posted on the 27th April (above). Its just that I found a site where I can post files for people to download and started this message up again.)

I have tried loads of things but still can't get it to play

Here is a phone tone that I created on my computer that I can send to my phone (Not one I am having trouble with)

You can see that with this file it has all the specifications of the file I am trying to play except it also has "Bit Rate - 32kbps"

Thanks - Rob
        Last edited by robwop; September 30, 2005, 12:01 PM.

Comment

• xoas
          dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2002

I'll check those leads out.
          Does your phone come with any software for up or downloading ringtones?
          There is a possibillity that your ringtone file may either have a distorted file-name
          (Henry's%20Cat.wav) that might be creating a problem (don't know about this for sure), but I also noted that track length was displayed in file information as 1400:04 (or maybe it was 1600:04, in either case the 04 in seconds may well be accurate but the 1400 or 1600 in minutes is seriously off).
          There are other sources for this ringtone which you can find if you Google henryscat.wav although I have not given up on trying to get your ringtone to play.

Best wishes,
          Bill

Comment

• robwop

• Apr 2005

Thank you for helping out Bill

The wav files properties are just how my phone creates them, its not corupt its just that its different. I have had files called "a" that just do the same.

To get the file off my phone I have a programme that opens my phone on "my computer" just like an extra hard drive and I copy and paste the file. To put files on to my phone I just copy and paste into it.

Dont worry about it being Henry's cat or anything thats just the sample I am putting on here to help with my question.

Thanks - Rob

Comment

• ChristinaS
              dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2004

I cannot play that first file either in WMP.

So it has a strange file header or something that throws the codecs off track. Notice the uncompressed size it claims to have when you hover over the file name? That's a bit odd.
              Last edited by ChristinaS; October 01, 2005, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru

• May 2004

Edit: This is for the second file that we know works.

Actually, this fine plays perfectly fine for me in WMP 9 and WMP 6.4 (start --> run --> mplayer2). dMC will also convert it to Ogg. I'm using dMC r11.5rc2, so dMC r11.5 final should work too. WMP says this about the file:
                Frequency of 8KHz, average bytes per second says 16,000 bytes per second, mono, 00:23 length, 92.3KB.
                Sound right?

Right-click and going to properties shows:
                32kbps, 4-bit, mono, 8KHz, IMA ADPCM

So now, I am thorougly confused
                Last edited by LtData; October 01, 2005, 06:13 PM.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                  dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2004

I cannot play it in mplayer2 either.

I get this error message:
                  No combination of filters could be found to render the stream. (Error=80040218)
                  Maybe I need to install something else I may have once had, but this is a new computer, so no history of previous verisons of anything.

Comment

• robwop

• Apr 2005

LtData

You were probably playing the second file I posted that can be played no problem.

I just posted that to show that a file can be 4 bit, 1 (mono), 8 kHz IMA ADPCM and still play fine on your computer (but this file is different because it also has Bit Rate 32kbps on it and the one I am trying to play doesn't).

The file I am trying to play is the first one I posted as that is a tone that I recorded with my phone. If I can play that then I can record anything with my phone like a dictaphone and e-mail people the file.

Before you say get a newer phone because they make them where it records straight to mp3, its just that I have some things on this one that I want to salvage.

Thank you for all your interest - Rob

Comment

• xoas
                      dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2002

There is a significant difference in the properties displayed for your file that plays and for the original one that does not. Both are 4 bit, 1 channel 8 kHz. And both show a remarkably similar file size. The differences appear to be that the track that plays shows a track length of 00 minutes, 23 seconds and a compression ratio of 1:1. The track that plays shows a track length of 1600 minutes, 04 seconds and a compression ratio of 15958 to 1.
                      Leaving out file name, there does seem to be something about this file that is not right, even though it plays on your phone OK.
                      Do you know the source for the ringtone that does not play correctly?
                      If you hook the phone to the computer can you play the ringtone through your computer's sound system either through your USB connection or through a line out from your phone (if it has one) to your soundcard's line in?
                      If you can play it that way you can record the sound using Auxilary Input.
                      (See the FAQ section of the Music Converter forum for more directions on this).

Best wishes,
                      Bill

Comment

• ChristinaS
                        dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2004

Ok, I got the second file as well.

From what I can see the frist file does not have the bitrate information at all.
                        The second one has a 32kbps bitrate, which makes all the difference. That's why it can be played.

If I edit the second wav file in Notepad I see this at the beginning:
                        RIFF4q WAVEfmt    @ ×   ùfact × data q
                        The first one (unplayable) has this:
                        RIFF8w WAVEfmt    @   fact î data
                        Other than the rest of the unreadable information, we see right at the start a difference: RIFF8w and RIFF4q .

A bit of googling reveals this:
                        .... all acoustic files with extension "wav" start with an ASCII value "RIFF4" ...
                        I tried to find any reference to RIFF8 and found only actual wav files with this string in the header which I cannot play, so there exists something that produces them other than for your phone. Some of the sites where I found those files are apparently dedicatde to video games of sorts, or, another, an audio technology institute from Norway. But the file had been in an archive and no mention to what created it on the site that I could find.

Maybe somebody else can follow the trace further.

These fiels seem to be somehow involvde in some games.

Comment

• robwop

• Apr 2005

I do have some software for my phone where I can insert ringtones and listen to them. But it only plays midi files on the computer. When I select it to play a wav file it actually plays through my phones speaker.

The RIFF4/RIFF8 lead is very interesting and given me a new perspective on this.

Thanks we are getting closer :smile2:

Comment

• xoas
                            dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2002

Do you still have your manual for your cell phone?
                            I've been unsuccessful in trying to download it.
                            I was hoping that it might provide some insights as to the type of codec/or program used to create these wave files and whether they can be uploaded and played on the computer or not. I have run into an item which suggests that some audio on this phone may have copy protection but I am not fully confident as to the accuracy of this report.

-Bill

Comment

• robwop

• Apr 2005

You can get a manual from:

I actually e-mailed Siemens and this is what they sent me:
                              The Siemens Data Suite Software will not convert the song into the
                              correct
                              format to play this on your PC. You will need some conversion software
                              to
                              allow you to do this.

So I wrote to ask for a recommended programme and they sent this:
                              Regarding your request, we do not have any conversion software that we
                              recommend for use with our phones as we do not test or phones in this
                              way.

Comment

Working...

]]>