title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

How do I change ID tagging in CD Ripper to this format?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: How do I change ID tagging in CD Ripper to this format?

One can have multiple ripping profiles, named and saved. Look at profile box on lower left of ripping screen. For example, one for multidisc and one for single discs. And one could have separate profiles for MP3 vs flac. (Although I wouldn't rip to MP3; I'd rip to flac then later convert to MP3 and setup dynamic naming to handle MP3 file organization.

Comment

• mville
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by b8375629
      So anything in front of the \ concerns the folder and anything in back of the \ concerns the files (and file names) contained within it. That it signifies the next level down in the file tree. Correct?
      Correct, remember, you can have folder\folder\folder\filename.

That's interesting. So that would leave it like...

01.01 trackname
      01.02 trackname
      01.03 trackname

I guess maybe I'm not understanding this. Considering I'm only ripping one CD at a time, I don't know what that would accomplish if I'm not ripping a multi disc box set and leaving it in the same folder. For a single album/CD, I would not want such a numbering scheme. That would appear on playlists (of whatever media player you are using) adding two extra spaces in front of the track. A little confusing looking when it comes to single albums.

Unless I create and save a second line for just such a situation. Will it allow me to save custom lines like that?

[artist] - [album] ([year]) [[label] [tag]catalog[]] [16-44] [extension]\[track] [title]

[artist] - [album] ([year]) [[label] [tag]catalog[]] [16-44] [extension]\[disc].[track] [title]

Also with FLAC storage, I can see where creating Disc1, Disc2, Disc3 sub folders within the main folder of a multi-disc box set would be necessary, but with mp3, I'd prefer to have everything numbered 01 through 99 within the same folder.
      I think you need to experiment with a couple of albums, including a multi-disc album, tweaking the Naming string until you are happy and tracks appear in your media player/server as you would like.

If you save all album tracks to a single directory, you have to make sure all filenames are unique, otherwise files will get overwritten. I achieve that with [disc].[track] and have no problem in my media player/servers.
      Last edited by mville; November 26, 2015, 04:09 PM.

Comment

• b8375629
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • May 2006

Originally posted by garym
        One can have multiple ripping profiles, named and saved. Look at profile box on lower left of ripping screen. For example, one for multidisc and one for single discs.
        I see. And one can have multiple FLAC profiles. Each profile is not tied to any one encoder or converter, although I could set it up that way.

Originally posted by garym
        (Although I wouldn't rip to MP3; I'd rip to flac then later convert to MP3 and setup dynamic naming to handle MP3 file organization.
        Good point.

Dynamic naming? What's that?
        Last edited by b8375629; November 26, 2015, 04:29 PM.

Comment

• b8375629
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • May 2006

Originally posted by mville
          If you save all album tracks to a single directory, you have to make sure all filenames are unique, otherwise files will get overwritten. I achieve that with [disc].[track] and have no problem in my media player/servers.
          Well the filename would be the song title and the [title] notation at the very end of the string would take care of that. Typically I haven't seen the same title in a folder unless it was an alternative take, and I believe freedb or MusicBrainz would point that out and add "(bonus)" or "(alt.take)" when it searches it's database and adds the metadata.

But I will play with it and see what I can do.
          Last edited by b8375629; November 26, 2015, 04:27 PM.

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

I see. And one can have multiple FLAC profiles. Each profile is not tied to any one converter, although I could set it up that way.

Good point.

Dynamic naming? What's that?
            Correct. One can have many profiles and they are not tied to converters. Dynamic naming is what you are talking about in this entire thread. How your files and directories are named by dbpa.

Comment

• mville
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2008

Well the filename would be the song title and the [title] notation would take care of that. Typically I haven't seen the same title in a folder unless it was an alternative take, and I believe freedb or MusicBrainz would point that out and add "(bonus)" or "(alt.take)" when it searches it's database and adds the metadata.

You assume much my friend, I have multi-disc albums, where the title is the same.

Comment

• garym
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2007

Well the filename would be the song title and the [title] notation would take care of that. Typically I haven't seen the same title in a folder unless it was an alternative take, and I believe freedb or MusicBrainz would point that out and add "(bonus)" or "(alt.take)" when it searches it's database and adds the metadata.

Unfortunately the above is not always true with the metadata databases. Best to either use disk sub folders (as I do) or disk.track number as already suggested.

Comment

• b8375629
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • May 2006

Well I appreciate you all's help here. It has given me a start. If I have any other tagging concerns, I know where to go to.

Thanks

Comment

• AusTexRocker
                    • Dec 2015

Bumping this for what I hope is a quick answer. I just ripped 6609 files as FLAC in a reference folder and am now ready to convert to MP3 in a second "converted" folder. I'm happy with my file naming so far with one exception. I want to remove the .MP3 tag off the end of the song title. To be clear, what I would like to see is this;

Crimson and Clover
                    rather than
                    Crimson and Clover.MP3

I imagine this is possible but as straight forward as Batch Converter is, this is a step I can't find an answer to.

thanks

Comment

• garym
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by AusTexRocker
                      Bumping this for what I hope is a quick answer. I just ripped 6609 files as FLAC in a reference folder and am now ready to convert to MP3 in a second "converted" folder. I'm happy with my file naming so far with one exception. I want to remove the .MP3 tag off the end of the song title. To be clear, what I would like to see is this;

Crimson and Clover
                      rather than
                      Crimson and Clover.MP3

I imagine this is possible but as straight forward as Batch Converter is, this is a step I can't find an answer to.

thanks
                      your example is showing the file name rather than the metadata tag content. It is an mp3 file, so of course the file name will show the file type (filename.mp3), just like a word file is .docx or adobe pdf file is .pdf or a powerpoint file is .pptx.

Or are you saying that the SONG TITLE metadata is showing a song name that includes mp3? I don't think that's what you are saying. Perhaps your player is displaying file name rather than song name from the tags. What player are you using?
                      Last edited by garym; December 06, 2015, 12:12 AM.

Comment

• AusTexRocker
                        • Dec 2015

Thanks for the quick reply. Pardon my lack of knowledge with this. I transfer the mp3 files to a flash drive to play in my car . But you are correct, it is the song title that has the .mp3 tag which displays on the screen in my car. I have simply edited that off (manually) in the past but with this many tracks I was hoping for a global solution at conversion time.

Comment

• AusTexRocker
                          • Dec 2015

This is pretty much default with very minor editing

[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[title]

which I thought would produce this

Madonna\Immaculate\Holiday
                          not
                          Madonna\Immaculate\Holiday.mp3

Comment

• schmidj
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Nov 2013

I suspect your car radio with flash drive is displaying filenames, not tags. Stick the drive in a computer that has the ripper/converter installed, select it in Windows Explorer, right click on a music file on the drive (file, not directory) select "edit ID tag" from the dropdown menu (only there if you have the ripper/converter installed) and look at what it shows as the title of the track. Does it end in .mp3? If not, then your radio is displaying filenames not tags. If that is the case, I'd read the detailed instructions for the radio to see if you can change what it displays when playing USB sticks. Sometimes there is a "display" button on the radio which cycles through different displays for the same audio file.

Also if you have a variety of selection indexes (like my surround receiver and internet connected blueray player do) and you choose to play by file and folder, you'll probably see filenames, not titles and artist tags, because that's how you are selecting what you are playing.

(edit) I just read closely and realized from the above post, that string is for dynamically creating file and directory names, not tags.

Filenames have to have .somethingorother at the end for the computer to know how to deal with them. .doc or .docx tells the computer (through the filetype association, default programs and autoplay settings what to do when you open the file, i.e. to open microsoft word. If it sees mp3, it starts whatever program you set the computer to play the mp3 file. If you strip the filename extension (that's what the.mp3 is called) off the file, you will have problems using the file in a windows computer, and playing it in many players. The computer/player won't know what software to use to deal with the file.

Tags are different, as described above, they are (usually) readable text, a single attribute such as title, artist, track number, composer or whatever, not file names (although you can, with operating system restrictions, make the body of the filename very readable, i.e. the title, artist, track, whatever.)

To add to the confusion, Windows has a setting (on by default) that hides the extensions of "common" filetypes in Windows Explorer. They are still there, they just don't show on your screen. They will show, however, if you look at the filename with a non-windows device, like your player, if it is displaying filenames, not tags.

This is apparently supposed to make Windows more "idiot proof" but just causes endless confusion until you turn it off, so the whole filename is displayed. (to turn off, open Windows Explorer (My computer) click on the Organize tab at the top, folder and search options in the dropdown list, the "view" tab on the folder options page, under "advanced settings" untick "hide extensions for known filetypes". (yes, I had to actually open it up to remember exactly where Microsoft buried this!) You only have to do this once, the change is global.

Failing to do this can cause endless confusion, you can have a .wav file, a .flac file and a .mp3 file all with the same name in the same folder and you can't tell which is which without actually playing it and seeing what the player tells you. This is a case where more information really helps, not confuses.
                            Last edited by schmidj; December 06, 2015, 06:56 AM.

Comment

• garym
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Nov 2007

schmidj has provided a very complete explanation. Just to emphasize, there is no way to "remove" the file extension (i.e., mp3). The only options are to change the player settings (if possible) to display the title from the tag (instead of from the file name) as schmidj pointed out.

Comment

Working...

]]>