title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

How do I change ID tagging in CD Ripper to this format?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • b8375629
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • May 2006

How do I change ID tagging in CD Ripper to this format?

Hello, I admit I haven't used CD Ripper that much (using EAC in the past and all) but I would like to give it more of a try.

What I want to do is to have each folder have the following format:

artist - album title (year) [label catalog number] [16-44] flac

So it would look like this...

John Doe - Just Ducky (1998) [Rhino 34885-1] [16-44] flac

I'm using small hyphens throughout all this

~

I'd then would like each track file name to look like the following format:

01 track name
    02 track name

etc... with a leading zero from 01 thru 09 in two digit form. I rarely go above 100 so I'll deal with that when it happens

~

As far as metadata goes, I would also like those leading 01 thru 09 (instead of just 1 thru 9) in the metadata itself, just like the file name numbering.

I'd also like the CD record company label and catalog number in the metadata comments box, more along the lines of what mp3tag would read.

How would I go about achieving all this? Any help here would be most appreciated, thank you.
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: How do I change ID tagging in CD Ripper to this format?

Already asked today (and answered), here:
    Dear All, First of all nice to meet you all. I'm new to this forum and my knowledge of audio is very limited. So I apologize in advance for possible mistakes or bad terminology from my part and for the fact that this topic might been discussed on this forum before. My aim is to rip my entire CD collection in Flac format to

... as for padding track (and disc) numbers, look in CDRipper options.
    Last edited by mville; November 25, 2015, 02:19 PM. Reason: added padding reference

Comment

• b8375629
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • May 2006

Originally posted by mville
      Already asked today (and answered), here:
      Dear All, First of all nice to meet you all. I'm new to this forum and my knowledge of audio is very limited. So I apologize in advance for possible mistakes or bad terminology from my part and for the fact that this topic might been discussed on this forum before. My aim is to rip my entire CD collection in Flac format to

... as for padding track (and disc) numbers, look in CDRipper options.
      I see your padding numbers option in that thread. Didn't know where it was, thanks.

~

As far as naming options for the folder, where do I change that at?

And would it be like the following?

[artist] - [album] [(year)] [[label catalognumber]] [[16-44]] flac

I'm just guessing, so I don't know...

Comment

• mville
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by b8375629
        As far as naming options for the folder, where do I change that at?

And would it be like the following?

[artist] - [album] [(year)] [[label catalognumber]] [[16-44]] flac

I'm just guessing, so I don't know...
        See the link to the thread I gave earlier, Spoon posted the answer there.

Comment

• b8375629
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • May 2006

I did. I looked at that naming page of Spoon's and that's what I came up with up above

Comment

• mville
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Dec 2008

I did. I looked at that naming page of Spoon's and that's what I came up with up above
            ... so why did you not click the Naming Set button in CDRipper?

There is also a default button, giving the default Naming string, which is:
            [IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[track] [artist] - [title]

and yes, it is LIKE your example, but not the same. You set the elements as you desire.

Comment

• b8375629
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • May 2006

Are you talking about the ID Tag button or Options button? I don't see a "Naming Set button"

Comment

• mville
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Dec 2008

Are you talking about the ID Tag button or Options button? I don't see a "Naming Set button"

Comment

• b8375629
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • May 2006

Ok, yeah I see it. - lol...

It looks like it's geared towards file (or track) naming and not folder naming. The individual tracks I got figured out (for now), but when I ripped a CD it gave me some strange folder within a folder with the artist name at the top folder and the album title (and year) as a subfolder within that folder. I have no idea how it turned out that way. I just want it simple as I listed up above.

I think I'm getting close with what I wrote above, but I am not totally familiar with this tagging coding syntax you have for this program, in spite of the page Spoon linked to.
                  Last edited by b8375629; November 25, 2015, 08:27 PM.

Comment

• mville
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Dec 2008

Ok, yeah I see it. - lol...

It looks like it's geared towards file (or track) naming and not folder naming. The individual tracks I got figured out (for now), but when I ripped a CD it gave me some strange folder within a folder with the artist name at the top folder and the album title (and year) as a subfolder within that folder. I have no idea how it turned out that way. I just want it simple as I listed up above.

I think I'm getting close with what I wrote above, but I am not totally familiar with this tagging coding syntax you have for this program, in spite of the page Spoon linked to.
                    Personally, I don't think that the folder structure is strange at all. In fact, I think it is totally logical, with Album Artist as the parent folder and albums for that artist as sub-folders. Anyhow, it is totally customizable, so we should be able to help you get what you want.

Remember, in the Naming string, the \ (backslash) character is the folder separator, so you probably need to remove the \ character before [album] to create just a single folder.

Post your current Naming string and then describe exactly what you want and we can tweak it for you.
                    Last edited by mville; November 25, 2015, 09:04 PM.

Comment

• b8375629
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • May 2006

Well let's start with the beginning syntax of the example I gave up above

[artist] - [album] ([year]) [[?]] [16-44] flac

I need the parenthesis for year.

I can just append the end with "[16-44] flac" without extra brackets it looks like, but no option for the record label or the catalog number in the elements. How do I add those?

Remember, this is just for the folder naming convention. Would I start the line with [IFVALUE]?
                      Last edited by b8375629; November 25, 2015, 09:26 PM.

Comment

• mville
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Dec 2008

Well let's start with the beginning syntax of the example I gave up above

[artist] - [album] ([year]) [[?]] [16-44] flac

I need the parenthesis for year.

I can just append the end with "[16-44] flac" without extra brackets it looks like, but no option for the record label or the catalog number in the elements. How do I add those?

Remember, this is just for the folder naming convention.
                        Try this:

[artist] - [album] ([year]) [[label] [tag]catalog[]] [16-44] [extension]

replacing catalog with the tag name for your catalog number.

Would I start the line with [IFVALUE]?
                        This is for albums where you have the Album Artist tag populated as well as Artist. It is not needed if you don't use Album Artist.

Comment

• b8375629
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • May 2006

I would not have figured that out - lol...

So, how does this look?

[artist] - [album] ([year]) [[label] [tag]catalog[]] [16-44] [extension]\[track] [title]

I assume that additional part at the end is how the tracks contained inside the folder (after the folder has been titled) would be formatted. No?

Comment

• mville
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Dec 2008

[artist] - [album] ([year]) [[label] [tag]catalog[]] [16-44] [extension]\[track] [title]

I assume that additional part at the end is how the tracks contained inside the folder (after the folder has been titled) would be formatted. No?
                            Correct, you now have folder\filename.

So, how does this look?

The only problem I can see is that this Naming string does not handle disc number for multi-disc albums. Either add the disc number to the folder OR add disc number to the filename. Personally I prefer to add disc number to the filename e.g. [disc].[track] [title].

Comment

• b8375629
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • May 2006

Correct, you now have folder\filename.
                              So anything in front of the \ concerns the folder and anything in back of the \ concerns the files (and file names) contained within it. That it signifies the next level down in the file tree. Correct?

The only problem I can see is that this Naming string does not handle disc number for multi-disc albums. Either add the disc number to the folder OR add disc number to the filename. Personally I prefer to add disc number to the filename e.g. [disc].[track] [title].
                              That's interesting. So that would leave it like...

01.01 trackname
                              01.02 trackname
                              01.03 trackname

I guess maybe I'm not understanding this. Considering I'm only ripping one CD at a time, I don't know what that would accomplish if I'm not ripping a multi disc box set and leaving it in the same folder. For a single album/CD, I would not want such a numbering scheme. That would appear on playlists (of whatever media player you are using) adding two extra spaces in front of the track. A little confusing looking when it comes to single albums.

Unless I create and save a second line for just such a situation. Will it allow me to save custom lines like that?

[artist] - [album] ([year]) [[label] [tag]catalog[]] [16-44] [extension]\[disc].[track] [title]

Also with FLAC storage, I can see where creating Disc1, Disc2, Disc3 sub folders within the main folder of a multi-disc box set would be necessary, but with mp3, I'd prefer to have everything numbered 01 through 99 within the same folder.

Comment

Working...

]]>