title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

new skin site discussions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Razgo
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

new skin site discussions

Not to leave anyone in the dark i am designing a new skin site/dbpoweramp fan club on my own site.

i will be withdrawing from the current skin site here: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/skins/

and promoting this new site here: main gallery and example dbpoweramp skin gallery here: dbpoweramp skin gallery

don't pay too much attention to the other topics and stuff i have there as there is some work in progress for other ventures there as well.

this is the dbpoweramp fan club forum i have here: dbpoweramp fan club

hopefully the "fan club" part will be a recognized as an enthusiast group towards dbpoweramp software in general.

of course all official support will always remain here on the dbpoweramp forums.
  • Craze
    dBpoweramp Guru

• Oct 2002

Re: new skin site discussions

I guess this brings up a few questions.

Which site will be the official Skin site?
    Will the existing Skin site continue on or be phased out?
    What about posting new skin designs?
    Will the posting process consist of the vendor login and management set up of the current site?...(which I've grown to like very much.)
    I'm sure the skinning community would like to know some of the details when you get them worked out.

Thanks and Best wishes.
    Craze

Comment

• Razgo
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Which site will be the official Skin site?
      that depends if spoon is going to maintain the existing skin site. I don't think he has time to do it. in my opinion i would rather see all the old skin sites deleted so there is no confusion.

Will the existing Skin site continue on or be phased out?
      "as above"

What about posting new skin designs?
      my site is open for new skin postings. i will not be posting any new skins on the old skin sites.

Will the posting process consist of the vendor login and management set up of the current site?...(which I've grown to like very much.)
      no. actually it will be a lot easier the way i am setting it up now. i am keeping the amount of different software/programs down to a minimum. having the vendor management was great and it was great software. however it was also time consuming and came with it's own set of problems.

so minimizing the software needed but at the same time make it all functional is the key here.

I'm sure the skinning community would like to know some of the details when you get them worked out.
      well i am continuing to maintain and build a skinning community for dbpoweramp and supply the means to upload and display your skins in a gallery (that hasn't changed). the only thing that has changed is the location of where the skin gallery is and forum for it.

i have good automated backup facilities in place on a good server to handle the gallery.

if you wish to be part of the skinning community i am continuing with then use the above links.

sorry for all the confusion :(

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

I would be happy for it to move (as you say I have no time to spare), but I couldn't seem to find away to download a skin (it mentioned having to register, which would be very off putting for most people if they have to do this to download).
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Razgo
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

yes there are pro's and con's for making people register. the way i figure it is if someone is going to take the time to download a 1-2 meg skin and install it to see it running then they have the time to register on the site as well.

how to upload skins and instructions you need to register also and be assigned to the skinner group. as here

and for those who get put off by having to register will have to get over it

check out this site with over 21 million registered users. registration is currently disabled and you can't view any posts without registering and over one thousand people onling when i last looked. http://forums.offtopic.com/
          Last edited by Spoons; August 03, 2004, 03:40 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

I really don't want a registration system, it would impeed rather than help.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Razgo
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

i don't think it would impede anything at all.

however an improved solution is to offer offsite and onsight downloads for skins.

for onsite downloads it requires registration. for offsite downloads will only require a link to the offsite skin page for download and or just a link to the actual skin itself.

live example: onsite offsite test

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

I am at a loss what to do, I think the old skin site works much better, it is established, perhaps just needs a few little tweaks to make it more user friendly.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Razgo
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

i think the old skin site is ok, but needs a lot of work to get it the way it should be reflecting the skins and the skin community.

the old skin site looks established because i created it that way. in other words i set it all up and get all the skins uploaded and in place over a few days. and not to mention the listening and participation of what the direction is here in this 3 page thread http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=4075

so i have taken on board everything said and will establish a new skin site in the next few days and it will look established also.

if you are thinking about maintaining the current skin site then please do say so now. i don't want to confuse the skinners or anyone so i am saying my new skin site is for dbpoweramp skins. if skinners want to participate in my skin site for dbpoweramp and get a great skin site going then follow the above links and join up.

in reality it will probably take me at least a week to throw all the skins up on the new site with pics and downloads in place.
                  Last edited by Spoons; August 05, 2004, 11:12 PM.

Comment

• Razgo
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

A Tutorial/instruction on how to add a skin has been updated here: upload skins

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

What would the advantages of the new site be?
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Razgo
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

basically

1. i have everything run on Plesk 7 which makes life a lot easier from a behind the scenes point of view.

2. my site is set to autobackup twice per day

3. i can use GD2 library which is on par with imagemagic image manipulation.

4. the above i could not do on your servers. so basically from a behind the scenes point of view i can run a site much better on a more up to date server .
                        5. from a technical point of view the advantages are numerous

6. also from the dbpoweramp fan club point of view i can utilise the forums much better.

in the end it's a dbpoweramp fan club skin site community which i am running. just as i have been here. it's just a change of location.

so there are endless advantages of putting together a skinning community. and that's exactly what i am doing and have already done.

bottom line is
                        1. i have made a new skin site.
                        2. the skin site is Officially open for bussiness.
                        3. those who want to participate in a dbpoweramp skinning community join up now.

cya all over there :D

Comment

• donny
                          dBpoweramp Guru

• Oct 2002

I would say that the new site has probably everything that people wanted from the old site... it is still being worked on, but it shows great potencial... easy skin uploads etc... I think it will be easy improving it if needed

Comment

• Nikesh

• Jan 2003

the site is good. But is there a link to go there from dbpoweramp.com site?

Comment

• Spoon
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2002

Things time their time Nikesh

The new skin site has my full support, Razgo has put time and effort into creating the old one, so I trust him (and owe him) for a new site, all I ask is that all skins are uploaded to dbpoweramp.com, and that ease of use for the end user is looked at and looked at again. Give me the nod when you want the links to move from old to new.
                              Spoon
                              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>