title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Cracking sound in playback of Ogg

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigfella

• Apr 2004

Cracking sound in playback of Ogg

I am a newbie and am trying out Ogg Vorbis before getting a Rio Karma. My audio playback on my computer is lame, (on-board sound) but I am experiencing a cracking noise intermittently on playback of CD's ripped at a .7 setting. :cry:
    Any thoughts? Is this likeley to happen with playback on the Karma?
  • RossRoy
    dBpoweramp Guru

• May 2003

Re: Cracking sound in playback of Ogg

I don't think the OGG file is to blame in your case, it is probably a hardware configuration on your PC. I had similar problems on my SoundBlaster Audigy card.

What happens is your soundcard probably shares IRQ with other hardware because of how Windows handles ACPI and IRQ sharing.

In the past, every different piece of hardware in a computer had to have it's own IRQ assigned to it. It caused problems because there is only 16 IRQs available in any given machine, so, a technology was developped to allow IRQ sharing. Windows handles it through ACPI, but it handles it very poorly. Namely, it assigns all Plug and Play hardware to the same IRQ, usually IRQ 9, 11 or 12.

And I am sorry, but there's not much that can be done about that, especially since you are using integrated sound of your motherboard. Sometimes, physically changing the position of your soundcard in your system (from slot 2 to 5 for example) CAN help, but obviously, you can't do it. The only other "solution" would be to make Windows NOT use ACPI, but the procedure is not an easy one.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Re: Cracking sound in playback of Ogg

Try this:

I recently installed a new large hard disk drive, it contained my music collection and was set to a slave drive on the primary IDE channel. I also noticed after adding the new large drive (there was a smaller one there before) that clicking and other disturbances were present on audio playback, these were not there previously.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>