title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

dAPs playback is interrupted by clicks and crackles? (Windows XP)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

dAPs playback is interrupted by clicks and crackles? (Windows XP)

I recently installed a new large hard disk drive, it contained my music collection and was set to a slave drive on the primary IDE channel. I also noticed after adding the new large drive (there was a smaller one there before) that clicking and other disturbances were present on audio playback, these were not there previously.

On inspection in Device Manager (start >> settings >> control panel >> system >> hardware >> Device Manager) looking under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers >> Primary IDE Channel (right click >> proporties) 'Advanced Settings' current transfer mode was not a DMA (the fastest, it was some PIO).

To solve it select each item under 'IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers' right click >> uninstall (click no to reboot until all are removed, uninstall Master Controller last, then reboot, Windows will refind the IDE controllers and reboot again, all should be well.
    Last edited by LtData; February 27, 2007, 10:12 PM. Reason: improved readability
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com
  • Mr M

• Dec 2007

Re: dAPs playback is interrupted by clicks and crackles? (Windows XP)

Spoon,

Thank you so much for this info. I have spent the past 18 months in complete exasperation, searching every forum I could find to solve the "stuttering" problem in iTunes, to no avail. I bought dBPoweramp converter and player to have a working alternative (and a converter!) and found that it too, clicked frequently (Windows 200 pro). Your advice above has cured the problem completely in dAP and iTunes...you are a gentleman indeed. Now all I need to do is continue trawling the forums to learn how to convert my ALAC library in iTunes into other formats!

Very best regards

George

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru

• May 2004

Install the dMC m4a codec to decode the files and, if needed, the codec for the format you wish to convert to.

Comment

• Metal Monk

• Dec 2007

My dbpoweramp, iTunes library, and quicktime players have all been having playback problems were the songs suddenly start to lag and play at a slower speed for a few seconds. Very annoying! I looked through your suggestions and discovered that my PC with Vista has different control panel settings than XP. Do you know how this can be fixed on Vista? Any help would be much appreciated.

Comment

Working...

]]>