title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Non-functional buttons in dAP window(s)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lewis

• May 2006

Non-functional buttons in dAP window(s)

Being very satisfied with dMC, my curiosity got the better of me and I downloaded dAP. My primary needs are a music database.

Although I have long been a user of WinAmp Pro, I was pleasantly surprised by the high quality of DAP's sound, especially when playing lossless music files. I'm now considering dropping WinAmp!

Unfortunately all is not well, the Menu, MMC and Playlist buttons in DAP's window(s) do not function for me. I'm using a currently updated Windows XP Home system. (Note that I have not set the music file associations to DMC/DAP.)

Can anyone provide a solution to my problem?
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2002

Re: Non-functional buttons in dAP window(s)

If you are using the "Standard" version (Version 2), switch to the current beta version (R3.6) available from the Beta section of the forum here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=2045

This release has been out for about 18 months and is at least as solid as the current version, probably more so.

If this is the version you are using, then the question is whther these features ever worked for you and they stopped working or whether they have never worked. Have you actually added music to MMC or not? If you have not, then that could be your problem. If you have try an uninstall/reinstall or (if the program has worked earlier) download and run the routine to reset your dAP to "factory specs", available from the FAQ section for dAP (thread is labelled something like If dAP stops working" and is by Spoon).

Pleasse let us know how you make out.

Best wishes,
    Bill

Comment

• Lewis

• May 2006

Okay, I've installed the latest beta and the problem is resolved only if I allow dAP to monitor user activities on the computer, which I did not on the prior install.

When dAP is started, ZoneAlarm Security Suite reports:
      ZoneAlarm Security Alert - Suspicious behavior

Amp is attempting to monitor user activities on this computer.
      If allowed it may try to track or log keystrokes (user input),
      mouse movements/clicks, web sites visited, and other user behaviors.
      This is not good, not only because dAP is potential spyware but also because the same alert is now given when other programs are started -- something which didn't occur before. It appears that dAP has overtaken the computer, channelling user behaviour in other -- unrelated -- running programs through one of its components! Clearly this is unacceptable to the security-minded user. :thumbdown :(

I look forward to your response.

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2002

I believe this is because of dAP's keybord control component.

You might want to check this thread here:
        I just installed the player. ZoneAlarm is telling me that amp.exe is trying to monitor my mouse movements and keyboard strokes. Does it need to do this or has spyware gotten into my copy of the program?

I have been using dAP for about 4 years and have no indication that it has ever functionned as spyware, although my monitoring programs may not be as thorough as yours. But do check out the referenced thread which addresses this warning from ZoneAlert.

Best wishes,
        Bill

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Spyware would have to contact the internet to send its spying results back to base, dAP will never contact the internet.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Lewis

• May 2006

Originally posted by Spoon
            Spyware would have to contact the internet to send its spying results back to base, dAP will never contact the internet.
            Still, the potential to do so is there. If users want to conveniently access the MusicMoz site via the context menu in MMC, then Internet access must be enabled. Spying results could then secretly be sent to base.
            Last edited by Lewis; May 06, 2006, 04:55 PM.

Comment

• Lewis

• May 2006

Originally posted by xoas
              I believe this is because of dAP's keybord control component.

You might want to check this thread here:
              I just installed the player. ZoneAlarm is telling me that amp.exe is trying to monitor my mouse movements and keyboard strokes. Does it need to do this or has spyware gotten into my copy of the program?

I have been using dAP for about 4 years and have no indication that it has ever functionned as spyware, although my monitoring programs may not be as thorough as yours. But do check out the referenced thread which addresses this warning from ZoneAlert.

Best wishes,
              Bill
              Yes, that thread is relevant to the potential spyware problem. But back to the problem in hand: I still don't understand why it is necessary for me to "enable monitoring of user activities" to get the Menu, MMC and Playlist buttons to function. Would not clicking on any of these buttons simply require a shell function call (possibly with one or more parameters) in the dAP program?
              Last edited by Lewis; May 06, 2006, 05:01 PM.

Comment

• Lewis

• May 2006

Spoon wrote in thread (http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=9016):
                Delete the file dapkeycontrol.dll (reboot pc so can access the file), then no more global hotkeys in dap.
                I did this, and the buttons now work! However, I feel that it should be unnecessary for users to go to such steps, ie deletion of program files, not least because it would need to be done everytime the program is updated. If I might make a suggestion to the dAP developer, one could (should?) add a flag to dAP configuration such that global hotkeys may be disabled from the program. Also, make it known in the help documentation that enabling global hotkeys may cause problems in ZoneAlarm and other computer security programs.

Thank you both for your help!
                Last edited by Lewis; May 06, 2006, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Working...

]]>