title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Year By Track

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RoyalEF
    • Apr 2015

Year By Track

Now I know the major databases don't have this data, but the CD ripper destroys this data when I enter it.

I prefer that a Greatest Hits compilation to have accurate Release Years for each track in the primarily supported YEAR tag. A Jackson 5 Hit CD pressed in 2005 will set "I Want You" as 2005, instead of 1965 when it was actually released. If I make a smartlist of "Songs of the 1960s" these would never show up.

What's worse is dBpoweramp deletes the year data I enter.

I MUST complete my MetaData review first. Opening the Metadata review to make a change to a track will throw away all the individual years (so I suppose year should appear on the metaData review screen?)

If I've completed all my other corrections, I then correct the year of every track. Immediately RIP the CD.

Now unfortunately, once the CD is removed the Year data is lost. It isn't written to poweramp cache. If I need to re-rip, I'll have to enter all the years again. :-(
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: Year By Track

Originally posted by RoyalEF
    Now I know the major databases don't have this data, but the CD ripper destroys this data when I enter it.

I prefer that a Greatest Hits compilation to have accurate Release Years for each track in the primarily supported YEAR tag. A Jackson 5 Hit CD pressed in 2005 will set "I Want You" as 2005, instead of 1965 when it was actually released. If I make a smartlist of "Songs of the 1960s" these would never show up.

What's worse is dBpoweramp deletes the year data I enter.

I MUST complete my MetaData review first. Opening the Metadata review to make a change to a track will throw away all the individual years (so I suppose year should appear on the metaData review screen?)

If I've completed all my other corrections, I then correct the year of every track. Immediately RIP the CD.

Now unfortunately, once the CD is removed the Year data is lost. It isn't written to poweramp cache. If I need to re-rip, I'll have to enter all the years again. :-(
    I think this is because Illustrate likes to adhere as closely as it is possible, to tagging standards, which probably states that YEAR should contain the CD release year. Hence the behaviour you are seeing. (please don't quote me on this though, as I am not sure)

Don't forget, you are able to add your own tags e.g. TrackReleaseYear and populate it with what you like.
    Last edited by mville; 05-16-2015, 02:42 AM.

Comment

• RoyalEF
      • Apr 2015

I could add tags, but I try to keep the most relevant info in the most supported tags. Simply put, there was always a need of an AlbumYear vs a TrackYear. This would be helpful as my folder names include "([year])" which for a compilation now generate multiple folders (one per year). So "([album year])" would be lovely. I suppose I could create that tag for compilations. Make my life a little easier.

There is a checkbox in CD Ripper that offers to force EACH TRACK GENRE THE SAME. I simply see a need to UNFORCE for EACH TRACK YEAR THE SAME. If it stored in the the db cache so I don't have to redo the work, that would be great.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Sep 2011

I agree with mville that dBp probably does this in adherence to common use of the YEAR tag to mean the CD release year. For certain kinds of CDs ...usually just big artist retrospective collections, in my case....I populate the ORIGYEAR tag for each track in mp3tag. I prefer the actual YEAR tag to be consistent for an album, as I have occasionally run into players where different YEAR values messed up the ALBUM grouping under certain circumstances. (Probably not a common problem, but a pain when it does.)

Comment

• mville
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by RoyalEF
          There is a checkbox in CD Ripper that offers to force EACH TRACK GENRE THE SAME. I simply see a need to UNFORCE for EACH TRACK YEAR THE SAME. If it stored in the the db cache so I don't have to redo the work, that would be great.
          I understand how annoying this. There are similar annoyances in CDRipper, e.g. where CDRipper insists on automatically ticking the Compilation box when the Track Artist varies on a CD, drives me mad. I have requested enhancements to CDRipper many times in the past but they never see the light of day, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

A lot of my help/suggestions are often to get around metadata issues and I realise are not ideal for many end users.
          Last edited by mville; 05-16-2015, 12:30 PM.

Comment

• Michael Sargent
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by mville
            ... to tagging standards, which probably states that YEAR should contain the CD release year. Hence the behaviour you are seeing. (please don't quote me on this though, as I am not sure)
            I certainly hope not. For me, the most important date is the recording date, or lacking that the release date. That way I can listen to music in the correct chronological order. The date of the CD is probably the least important thing going.

Mike

Comment

• mville
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Michael Sargent
              I certainly hope not. For me, the most important date is the recording date, or lacking that the release date. That way I can listen to music in the correct chronological order. The date of the CD is probably the least important thing going.
              I agree. YEAR for my library contains original recording/release date. However, I often have to change this because the YEAR populated by the online metadata database providers, is the CD release date. I manually add a Release Date tag for the CD release date.

The problem for me is always the data provided by the online metadata database providers, it is just too inconsistent.

Comment

• schmidj
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2013

The same issue exists for Genre. If you enter different genres for tracks in the main ripper screen and then open the metadata review screen, it wipes out your genre entries and makes them all the same. I wish this action could be changed. it is mighty annoying, on otherwise excellent software.

Comment

• PepsiCan
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Apr 2014

I actually just logged the same request (sorry, missed this one until after I posted). There is a workaround as you can set the release date (and genre) per song in the main screen. But it is not logical. You want all metadata in one screen, not spread out over multiple screens.

Comment

• PepsiCan
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by BrodyBoy
                    I agree with mville that dBp probably does this in adherence to common use of the YEAR tag to mean the CD release year. For certain kinds of CDs ...usually just big artist retrospective collections, in my case....I populate the ORIGYEAR tag for each track in mp3tag. I prefer the actual YEAR tag to be consistent for an album, as I have occasionally run into players where different YEAR values messed up the ALBUM grouping under certain circumstances. (Probably not a common problem, but a pain when it does.)
                    Right. But then the problem is solvable as there are separate meta fields for both types of information.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by PepsiCan
                      Right. But then the problem is solvable as there are separate meta fields for both types of information.
                      Not sure what problem you mean. I was referring to a player issue.

Comment

• schmidj
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Nov 2013

The issue with the ripper is that if you open the "review metadata" screen after you have entered track-by-track years or genres, the dBPoweramp software replaces them all with (I think) the value for the first track, even if you don't change the settings for year or genre on the review metadata screen. I find this one of the few major annoyances in what is otherwise excellent, well thought out software.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by schmidj
                          The issue with the ripper is that if you open the "review metadata" screen after you have entered track-by-track years or genres, the dBPoweramp software replaces them all with (I think) the value for the first track, even if you don't change the settings for year or genre on the review metadata screen. I find this one of the few major annoyances in what is otherwise excellent, well thought out software.
                          Yeah, I get that....that was kind of the point of the thread. PepsiCan responded to my post, however, in which I was explaining why a completely separate issue (players that get tripped up by different YEAR tags on an album) has lead me to prefer the same YEAR on all tracks.

Comment

• schmidj
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Nov 2013

Brody,

I'm not surprised there is an issue with players. But my point to Spoon is that it should be my choice on how to store my years and genres, not an arbitrary change made by dBPoweramp because I happen to open a particular window for a totally different reason. As I'm sure most of us are aware, although many of the databases may only have one value per album, on my server all metadata is stored per track, not per album.

Unfortunately the people writing much of the player software don't think this stuff out very well. The making of a particular album should be the album title, the album artist and the compilation flag, if it is one, not anything else. Now i realize this may turn out to be an issue with artists who have more than one "greatest hits" album. Perhaps the standards people should set one tag as "recording year" and another as "release year". I'm hoping the new version of Foobar, which Spoon is supposed to be involved in, is better in this regard, but I also need a better front end for it on my computer, dragging and dropping isn't very convenient.

Comment

• PepsiCan
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by schmidj
                              Perhaps the standards people should set one tag as "recording year" and another as "release year".
                              And doing so would also resolve the issue of re-releases of old albums. Did you know that Bohemian Rhapsody was apparently recorded in 1993? It wasn't. But that is when they did a remaster of the 1975 album. :-)

Comment

Working...

]]>