title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Help Please - Installation problems with dBpoweramp in XP

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RichardWC
    • Dec 2011

Help Please - Installation problems with dBpoweramp in XP

Hi all, I am a newby to both dBpoweramp and Windows XP (with service pack 3).

I am attempting to download and install dBpoweramp in XP running in a vmware Fusion (v4) environment on a MacPro.

The downloading proceeds without incident but as soon as I attempt to run (install?) dBpoweramp, the following message pops up...

"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\dMC-R-14.2-Ref-Registered.exe is not a valid Win32 application."

I would really appreciate some help with this (probably) "dumb, due to inexperience" problem.

Thanks for some guidance as I would really like to get on with ripping my CD collection.

RichardWC
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Help Please - Installation problems with dBpoweramp in XP

You only have part of the install file, clear your internet cache, and redownload.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• RichardWC
      • Dec 2011

Hi Spoon

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried your suggestion, both from Windows using Internet Explorer after clearing the entire browsing history (delete all) a few times without success, I have tried the same thing from Safari from my Mac a few times also with no success. In both cases, the file is coming down as an 16 KB or 8 KB file, so presumably the file is being stripped or corrupted somehow.

If this is the case, could the download be stuffed into a ZIP and delivered safely that way. When I worked as a pre-press technician, we stuffed files to protect them from such problems. The ZIP acts as a 'container' like the shell on a peanut to protect the nut (the file) inside.

Is it possible to try this method? If so, in addition to "dMC-R14.2-Ref-Registered.exe", I also need two other files, "dBpoweramp-codec-aiff.exe" and "dBpoweramp-Codec-[Multi-Encoder].exe".

Thanks.

PS. I also turned off McAfee Security in addition to clearing the cache.

RichardWC
      Last edited by RichardWC; 12-15-2011, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Are you able to download?:

dBpoweramp-codec-aiff.exe

This file is just on simple http hosting, like any web page.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• RichardWC
          • Dec 2011

Hi Spoon,

Yes I am able to download both dBpoweramp-codec-aiff.exe and dBpoweramp-Codec-[Multi-Encoder].exe (both download as only 4 KB files) but neither of them will install.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

There is something on your system breaking the network link, you should be able to download any file through http and not have it interrupted. Are you able to download using a different PC, or download on the MAC OS then transfer to Windows?
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• RichardWC
              • Dec 2011

Hi Spoon,

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a PC, other than the virtual machine I am running in vmware Fusion on my Mac Pro.

I have tried downloading from my Windows XP virtual machine using Internet Explorer after clearing the entire browsing history (delete all) a few times without success. I have tried the same thing from Safari from my Mac a few times also with no success. In both cases, the file is coming down as an 16 KB or 8 KB file, so yes the file is being stripped or corrupted somehow.

I might be able to access a PC somewhere, but it is certainly not going to be convenient, but if there is no other alternative then I can see what I can do.

Is there no other way I can get the files from illustrate?

Thanks, RichardWC.

Comment

• RichardWC
                • Dec 2011

Hi Spoon, thank you very much!

The following statement in your last post, "There is something on your system breaking the network link, you should be able to download any file through http and not have it interrupted. Are you able to download using a different PC, or download on the MAC OS then transfer to Windows?" set my mind moving further along the solution path. Unfortunately, I didn't think long enough before I made my last post.

After that post, my thinking (eventually) extended into 'what if'. What if I turned off absolutely everything that could be interfering on both levels of my system? So I turned off everything I could think off--virus programs, firewalls, browser permissions, etc, etc on both the Mac OS level and on the Windows XP virtual machine level. And that worked! I have now successfully downloaded and installed pBpoweramp.

Thank you for your support. I now look forward to getting some experience with pBpoweramp which I purchased of an article written by Chris Connaker of the Computer Audiophile website.

I apologize for any inconvenience I might have caused you.

Comment

• dbfan
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Jan 2011

You might want to try reenabling each of the mentioned items, to find which was causing the issues.

Comment

Working...

]]>