title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

CD writer eats 100% CPU

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MSP
    • Jan 2009

CD writer eats 100% CPU

CD writer uses 100% CPU time during writing of the tracks on a regular audio CD. (seen in task manager, CDwiter.exe) I use Windows XP, SP3, on a modern and fast machine. This seems not normal to me (other writers like Nero do not show this). My feeling is that CD writing eats I/O resources but not so much CPU. I think that this causes an error that I have on one out of five CD's on the average, spoiling a disc every time. Writing speed is 8x, which is not extraordinary.
    Has anyone seen this behaviour ?
    Is there a solution for this ?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: CD writer eats 100% CPU

Are you using the latest release?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• MSP
      • Jan 2009

Yes, I think so. I am using version 3.1 of CD writer.

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

What format are the files you are trying to burn to CD? If they are not already WAV, if you encode them to 16-bit, 44.1KHz WAV before starting the burn, do you still get the 100% CPU?

Comment

• MSP
          • Jan 2009

Thank you. The situation is this: the original files are .flac, on a network share (a NAS). CDWriter automatically converts to .wav first (size about double as flac, encoded as 16 bit 44kHZ.). The temporary directory is on a local harddrive (the C: system drive). There .wav's are made by CDWriter named Track01.wav, Track02.wav, etc.
          The 100% CPU has been seen on writer speeds 16x, 8x, 4x so far. Only during actual track writing, between the tracks there is a short dip in CPU usage. It is CDWriter.exe itself that shows the 99% to 100% CPU load.
          Hope someone can help ! I like dbPowerAmp very much. it is the top in audio CD ripping and conversion.
          MSP

Comment

• bhoar
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Sep 2006

Have you checked to see if your IDE/ATA (or SATA in compatible mode) interfaces have reverted to PIO mode instead of running in DMA mode?

-brendan

Comment

• MSP
              • Jan 2009

The serial ATA hard drive controller is in Ultra DMA mode 5.
              The IDE controller for the DVD writer is in Ultra DMA mode 2.
              Thanks, MSP

Comment

Working...

]]>