title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Real Audio to MP3 conversion

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Raisby
    • Jan 2007

Real Audio to MP3 conversion

Converting Real Audio voice files (.ra) to .mp3, the MP3 files I end up with are very considerably bigger than the originals.

I suspect the problem is that I'm selecting conversion parameters which, given the quality of the .ra files, are simply over the top -- ie I'm attempting to produce high quality MP3 from relatively low quality .ra.

Does anyone have any tips as to how you can determine the quality of the original .ra files, and how you might set about translating this into appropriate conversion paramters.
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: Real Audio to MP3 conversion

Errr... not in so many words.

But I'd have to use a rule of thumb (my thimb ) which actually works quite well for me.

This assuming a single audience real media file:

Look at the duration of the audio file - in minutes.
    Then at the physical size. Figure out the physical file size per minute.

An un-compressed wav (2 channel stereo PCM 44.1KHz) occupies about 11MB/min.

Any compressed format (for 2-channel stereo) at a bitrate of about 128kbps occupies about 1.1MB/min - so it's 10 times smaller than the uncompressed wav.

The physical size is directly proportional to the bitrate and the duration.

Ok, so from that and a simple calculation you can guestimate the bitrate.

But to save you the trouble, Real Player can tell you what all that is.

Open the real audio file in Real player, click File > Clip Properties > Clip Source.

Comment

• Petwolfe
      • Feb 2007

Re: Real Audio to MP3 conversion

in my case (see in support section...might be the wrong section...lol) my )Mb's .RM turn into 2 Kb soundless files... :vmad: :teufel8:

Comment

Working...

]]>