title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Buffering Q--xoas/LtData

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Java
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jul 2005

Buffering Q--xoas/LtData

Not particularly a dmc questions, however, your expertise prevails. I have notice that on copying a song from a site more often than not there is a constant drop-off/buffering problem. Some sites there are not much are problems some others it is difficult.

Having just looked at a ms page it talked about "MIME" settings to accommodate the streaming of music.

If you have time could you give me a laymen's term of MIMe and how to set a player if it is possible so that drop offs/buffering is kept to a minimum.
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: Buffering Q--xoas/LtData

You didn't ask me, but I can tell you will experience buffering if the bitrate of the media file is higher than the connection speed you have or higher than the buffer size (in seconds) multiplied by the conenciton speed that the media player uses for a progressive download. For Windows Media PLayer you have the option to set the buffer size in Tools > Options > Performance. You can set it to a higher value than it is by default (5 seconds).

Streaming audio/video requires a streaming server, where the addressing protocol is mms:// or rtsp:// . The latter one is for Real Media streaming servers only. If you're using Windows Media Player setting the buffer to a higher value may help. Otherwise you'll have to accept that your connecion speed is too slow and you cannot play streamed files at such a high-bitrate.

Pseudo-streaminng (i.e. progressive download) from a non-streaming server can be achieved through the use of meta-files. Instead of being linked directly to an mp3 or wma file, it will be an m3u or wax or asx file which in turn give the address of the actual media file. For real media you have .ram files, that do the same thing, or .smil files. Again for those files where you can use WMP, adjust the buffer.

You shouldn't have to play with any MIME types on your PC, unless maybe your file associations got messed up somehow. In each player you use you can specify which file extensions it can handle by default. Normally m3u, wax, asx should be in WMP. ram shoudl be Real Player.
    Last edited by ChristinaS; January 04, 2006, 01:11 AM.

Comment

• Java
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Jul 2005

Re: Buffering Q--xoas/LtData

Christina, I missed adding your name along with the other two folks as you have also helped many times. I will read your reply and may come to you for more info.

Thanks

:smile2:

Comment

Working...

]]>