title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Speed Control (Time-based Compression)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeCerm
    • Feb 2005

Speed Control (Time-based Compression)

Both PowerAmp and Music Converter could benefit from time-compression/expansion. I listen to a lot of podcasts. I always download MP3s, or Ogg when available. I always convert everything to WMA-Voice, so the files are as small as possible, and then I listen in Windows Media Player, because WMP, unlike most players, has speed control. I listen at up to 2x real-time, sometimes as low as 1.5x, depending on content. The speed control only works with WMA, WMV, and MP3.

If Music Converter could time-compress during the conversion (probably as an intermediate WAV file), I could just encode everything at the quickened pace, allowing me to save storage space, and then I would have to worry about speed control on the playback side of things.

If Poweramp could vary playback speed, I wouldn't have to use WMP, and I wouldn't have to convert everything to WMA. I could use Speex, for example. Also, if playback speed is variable, you can always slow things back down to real-time, if there's something that you can't make out at high speed.

Also, I am in need of a video player that can vary playback speed. WMP works with WMV, so I record all my shows to that format, but I'd really prefer to use MP4, if I could control playback speed (up to 2x), and I haven't found a video player that can do that yet. Some claim to, but none work (except Nero Showtime, but their algorithm is so bad that everything sounds choppy at 1.5x and is completely unlistenable at 2x.)

I know you can do it, Spoon! Thanks for a great product.
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: Speed Control (Time-based Compression)

If you have mp4 video files and install 3ivx filters, then WMP can play mp4 videos and you can use WMP's speed control probably.

Comment

Working...

]]>