title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Environment Native

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trent Arms
    • Oct 2005

Environment Native

If there is one thing in the world I want more than anything for dAP, it's a linux version. I have yet to find an audio player that so perfectly suits my needs and desires that is native to linux. I chose dAP because it's <i>not</i> a winamp clone with the horribly clunky interface (XMMS). I chose dAP because it is stable and offers excellent media management options (Amarok take note). I just want a library with easily manageable metadata and a player with a decent equalizer. (Admittedly, I need the studiopro skin to make it really the way I like, but that's a small complaint). I won't ask that you Open Source the code, but I hope you at least consider a port to Linux. Please?</bambieyes>
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Environment Native

While I agree a dAP port to Linux would be awesome, you have to remember that there is one programmer and developer for all Illustrate products: Spoon. Mabye at some point, he will make Linux versions, but for the moment, its Windows only with some features working in Linux via WINE for dMC, not sure about dAP.

Comment

• Trent Arms
      • Oct 2005

Well I was thinking that, IIRC, spoon said he was pretty much rewriting the whole thing. Knowing this, if he wrote it in say...GTK, for Linux it would be pretty easy to port to Windows. To my knowlwdge the other way around is much harder and requires a lot of coding. The worst part about it (to me anyways) is that I'm not a good enough programmer to even offer my skills in any way...

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Well, the other problem is that accessing the optical drives in Windows is TOTALLY different than it is in Linux. For that matter, how you access any drive is different in Linux than in Windows.
        Also, for the audio player, how you output the audio is different.
        Also, the Linux version probably wouldn't be able to support WMA files in any capacity.

Comment

Working...

]]>