title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

To be able to do something with files by Genre (or date, or whatever)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GSV3MiaC
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jun 2005

To be able to do something with files by Genre (or date, or whatever)

Would like a facility (in music collection) to select all the files which have a particular genre set, or which have a preference of 4 stars, or whatever, and DO something with them all (convert them to some other format, move the source files to another folder, etc.).

Note this is not as simple as sorting on genre, since there may be several genre flags set 'A' 'and 'B' on one track and 'B' + 'C' on another - getting all the files with B set isn't easy .. 'selective' has all the facilities one could want, but the only option then is to randomly play what is selected, no facility to (e.g.) convert them all to .WMA for downlaod to a player, or to move them all to a different folder where music player won't find them again.
  • Wayne
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Aug 2002

Re: To be able to do something with files by Genre (or date, or whatever)

Maybe Spoon will add this to the list of other enhancements planned for when he updates MMC.

Wayne

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Isn't there a Smart Selector that will do this?
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• donny
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Oct 2002

in mmc, try
        collection -> random selector
        it will select file using the current selective settings... it can select a number of tracks or a MB of tracks.. .check it out...

Comment

• GSV3MiaC
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Jun 2005

Originally posted by donny
          in mmc, try
          collection -> random selector
          it will select file using the current selective settings... it can select a number of tracks or a MB of tracks.. .check it out...
          Yes, I'm aware of that function, which is what I meant by 'selective has all the facilities' .. however you can't select 'all', nor can you move the underlying files for the selection. Actually while you can 'copy', there isn't even any way to 'paste' into a new music colecltion (as far as I can see).

It's be nice to either move the index entries from the collection to a new one, or else to move the underlying source files.

Comment

• GSV3MiaC
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Spoon
            Isn't there a Smart Selector that will do this?
            I give up .. you're the expert .. what's a smart selector? If you mean selective paly, then yes it will allow you to select a random sample (but not all) and convert them, or download them to a portable player, or burn a CD. It won't let you select 'all' and move them to a new music library, or move the source files.

As long as we're wishlisting, I wish the bulk of the music collection data would get loaded into tags (in formats which support it - Vorbis, WMA, for instance) so when I convert to .OGG for my portable player (and save the results) I didn't lose all the 'preferences', 'multiple genres', 'number of times played', and suchlike

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

Perhaps I was thinking of Random selector, try putting a large number of files into it.

You can save a collection as (effectively duplicating it), from there delete the selection.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• GSV3MiaC
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Spoon
                You can save a collection as (effectively duplicating it), from there delete the selection.
                OK, but then the 'copy' option (when you are in collection, with a bunch of files selected) ought be suppressed since there appears to be noplace that you can 'paste' what you have copied ?!?

(p.s. don't you just hate it when the Software Types come to town. 8>.)
                Last edited by GSV3MiaC; July 07, 2005, 09:19 PM.

Comment

• donny
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Oct 2002

the copy option can be used with any windows program, for example any file manager, such as windows explorer, and then find a folder where you would like to paste the files (for example your portable device) and then paste all the files htat were selected in mmc... this works for me well ....

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

I wouldn't paste, rather duplicate collection, select, inverse the selection and delete.
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>