title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

What is going ON?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

What is going ON?

I'm here desperately looking for help on minidisc format audio files. The reason is this: in our naivety and lack of knowledge, we bought a minidisc player/recorder MZ-NH700 having been told this would record high quality digital audio, and transfer it to my computer.

Okay, it does, BUT............

From then on it's turned into a complete fiasco and I'm boiling mad. All I wanted was to make recording of a machanical music player we have at home, and use the MP3 tracks to stream from my personal webpage. Not copyrighted music, not illegal downloads - nothing like that.

I found that there is NO WAY to achieve this simple task. Sony have locked everything down so tight that it's a struggle even to play the darn recordings, let alone use them in any other media.

I have upgraded the c**p software they enclosed in the packet to version 2.2 because I saw on forums that this would now save to CD and MP3 CD's.

NO, it does not. First, the result would not be anything you could rip or use to create ordinary WAV or MP3 files; second, the only MP3 recoding allowed is from original MP3 tracks, NOT omg format files; and third and mnost annoying, you can't record your own music to a CD anyway becuase Sony thinks it's "copyrighted" and will not allow the transfer.

Only if you bought the music from their Connect website does it recognise the tracks as legitimate to create a music CD, and even then you can't do it an unlimited number of times. Good GRIEF, what hoops do I now have to jump through. What is going ON?

Can you believe this? Can you believe anybody would actually buy this --- well, I'm not a swearing type of person but a few words come to mind.

We spent about £200 buying the player and were talking into another similar sum for a stereo mike, neither of which will do what we need to do. I wish I'd just used my old cassette recorder.

BUM

Tricia
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: What is going ON?

You are not alone. As you may or may not have noticed, our biggest thread is on this topic. However, this site offers guidance on a possible way to convert Atrac files to mp3 and it mat be of some use to you.
    Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

Tricia, I sympathize with you. In your circumstances what you'd have needed really is to have some home recording equipment. For the money you spent on this minidisc you'd have probably been able to buy any number of other items that would help you infinitely more. I know, it's too late now, but check out www.homerecording.com/recording.html for tons of belated hints and help on this.

Ok, now, given that you've already spent the money on the minidisc, perhaps the easiest solution is for you to just play the recorded file through the player that plays it and record it from the soundcard using dMC Auxiliary Input. See http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=5362 and other posts dealing with this.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

If you have an optical out on the Sony get a sound card with optical in and record without sound loss.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Granville

Or you could try the www.minidisc.org forums. There's a guy called Marcnet who's developed a small piece of software that helps you get the .oma file from SonicStage and convert it to Wav - it's still at beta but many many people have used it - sounds like everyone could team up here and solve the problem really quick....?

Try this page - it's the first item with over 22000 readers !

Granville

Comment

• Granville

By the way, I forgot to say I was in the same boat - recording voice overs and narration in full PCM for home videos and short films. I tried Marcnet's program on XP1 SP2 and it's a rough GUI but it works and it's free. Once they're in wav, you can do what you like with the file.....

Sony promised a Wav recorder but that's a likely to occur this year as a sunny bank holiday in the UK.

G.

Comment

• Unregistered

Dear Sony, I most humbly apologise for that last remark.

Better late than never.

Granville

Comment

• INSTLR
                • Nov 2004

[COLOR=Red]I own a Sony Home MD unit with a fiber optic in/out. I just purchased a Zoltrix Nightingale sound card with fiber optic in/out for the sole purpose of recording my MDs as a pure digital wave file. Then I use dbpoweramp music converter to convert them to MP3s. I found the sound card (pci btw) on ebay for less than $20 US. Good Luck & hope I helped.[/COLOR] :smile2:

Comment

• madfiddler
                  • Nov 2004

ahhh...see now this is why you all need an iRiver in your lives! www.iriver.com

I was seriously considering an MZ-NH1 and went with a hard disk DAP instead

Bye-bye, ipod! Bye-Bye mini-disc!

Comment

• iTunesIsEvil
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Dec 2004

"Boooo..." to iRiver!

I've owned 2 of their players (1 256MB Flash Player, and 1 20GB HD Player) and neither of them matches up to my iPod. I like just about everything about it better!

That said, here's what iPod's need standard (without paying friggin $500) color screens, mp4 video support, and an FM tuner... is that too much to ask?

Edit: Alas (Look Below) I am out voted, apparently the iPod is crappy! I still like it though! :smile2:
                    Last edited by iTunesIsEvil; 12-28-2004, 07:24 PM.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Dec 2004

nah, in my opinion.....the iPod sucks (insert 4 letter word here) :lol:

Comment

• LtData
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • May 2004

I give a solid "meh" to the Ipod. Why?

1. No Ogg support
                        2. No Lossless support other than Apple Lossless
                        3. Too darn expensive.

Likes?
                        1. Pretty
                        2. Umm... Firewire support?
                        3. Hmm... it doubles as a paperweight when the battery dies?

So yea, I'd rather have a player like the Rio Karma. Now I just need money to get one.
                        Last edited by LtData; 12-29-2004, 12:16 AM.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Dec 2004

Yeah.....I agree LtData. If you've played Unreal Tournament 2004, you've experienced full Ogg Vorbis surround sound. It's great.

@*$& the iPod. Rio Karma forever!

Comment

Working...

]]>