title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

codec for .OMA files

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: codec for .OMA files

Originally posted by Unregistered
    Trust me it is the CD. It plays fine in a normal CD player but in a PC it just doesn't play, all I get is the strange skipping type noise. I have tried this CD on my two PC's and my laptop and all have the same outcome! If anyone would like me to upload a sample I will post a link and you can hear the quality for yourselves!

Oh, and the .OMA files don't play, SonicStage keeps asking me to download a license to play them. Is this normal for .OMA files?
    How can you upload a sample if it won't play? If it won't play, then it means it cannot be read by the cd-rom drive or the player software I should think, therefore you wouldn't be able to rip it either.

You are mentioning earlier
    When I use TMPGEnc to try and convert the .omg files off the CD...
    This means it is NOT an audio CD at all! Unless of course you're talking about a different CD altogether.

An audio CD has .cda files on it named Track01.cda , Track02.cda ...... . Any other file types appearing on an index listing of the files on a cd implies it is a data cd, or a mixed typ cd, but not an audio cd.

Comment

• Unregistered

I can upload a sample because it will rip the tracks but they have a strange skipping effect, therefore in my eyes, wont play because I don't call what comes out my speakers music!

As for the oma files, if you have seen the new sony cd's they have all the tracks pre-ripped on the cd (i.e. .oma files in a directory). It is a normal audio CD, has all the cda's on it, will play in a cd player, bought it from play.com, I wish you would not speak to me as if I cannot tell the difference between an audio cd and a data cd!!!

Anyway, got a resolution to my problem, sent the CD back and downloaded the tracks from iTunes! Used hymn to convert to unprotected and dbpowerAMP to convert to mp3.

The moral of the story: Don't buy sony cd's!

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

I can upload a sample because it will rip the tracks but they have a strange skipping effect, therefore in my eyes, wont play because I don't call what comes out my speakers music!

As for the oma files, if you have seen the new sony cd's they have all the tracks pre-ripped on the cd (i.e. .oma files in a directory). It is a normal audio CD, has all the cda's on it, will play in a cd player, bought it from play.com, I wish you would not speak to me as if I cannot tell the difference between an audio cd and a data cd!!!

Anyway, got a resolution to my problem, sent the CD back and downloaded the tracks from iTunes! Used hymn to convert to unprotected and dbpowerAMP to convert to mp3.

The moral of the story: Don't buy sony cd's!
        Sorry, didn't mean to imply anything, but yours is still not a pure audio cd, it is a mixed-type cd: part audio cd, part data cd. Older stand alone cd players might not play it.

And no, I haven seen such a cd sold commercially in any store in my neck of the woods. However I have one such mixed type cd bought from the old service at mp3.com (the data files on it are mp3 files). I will attempt to rip from the audio cd portion of it if I can zero in on it, and see what happens.

Comment

• Unregistered

Hi have recently bought darren hayes new album having same problem. Think may have solution though. I have combined thoughts from various forums what you need to do...

download openmg from sony (it plays the oma's and came with the disc)
          then ask it to upload the songs from the anti-rip cd. It will save them to your specified directory.
          Once copied rename all the .oma's to *.mp3.
          i reckon they must be written in mp3 codec but renamed cos they play with windows media player 10 like any other!!!!!

Comment

• Unregistered

Hi, I have found a good working converter for oma to wave.
            Directly and quickly, and good quality Igood enough for me).
            Look at http://www.marcnetsystem.co.uk/himdrenderer004.zip

Comment

• ChristinaS
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2004

Once copied rename all the .oma's to *.mp3.
              i reckon they must be written in mp3 codec but renamed cos they play with windows media player 10 like any other!!!!!
              Windows Media Player will play several types of files. Even though you renamed it to mp3 and it plays in WMP, this doesn't mean it was a disguised mp3. It can be any one of the other file types WMP can play. I think I saw mention to .oma being .wma (which is the Windows Media Player native format) with protection added.

Comment

• Unregistered

It´s so easy. No tricks at all. Just rip it with:

DB powerAMP music converter - Audio cd input

It rips right from the cd and converts it to a wav file

dBpoweramp: mp3 converter, FLAC, WAV, AAC and Apple Losslesss. CD Ripper, Album Art Fixing, Asset UPnP Server

PKL
                I did try this but it doesn't work for me, it rips the song but when I play the song I got 1 sec. music, 1 sec mute, 1 sec music, 1 sec mute, this goes on and on.
                I did try to play it in my Windows CD player and record it with DB aux. Input, that did work for 1 day, today I did try this trick again, now my computer doesn't play the track anymore, not in my Windows CD player, not in my Creative CD-player only with the player that comes with the CD, but I can;t record the track with my DB aux.input or my Creative Wave.
                So Sony thank you; what if I buy a SOny Cd and want to make a MP3 CD for my car stereo, it seems Sony doesn't want me to do that neither.
                And that because they claim loss of income, MY FOOT, look at the houses the artists are living in, the cars they drive. Better drop the price of a CD to improve CD sales.

But I still don't know what to do about this OMA files. (In Dutch OMA means ; granny)

Comment

• MarCNeT

This isnt a codec... more of a seperate program I wrote.

It takes .oma files as input and converts them into .wav via DirectShow and some fidding ... more details on the minidisc.org forum

Comment

• Unregistered

Hi, I have found a good working converter for oma to wave.
                    Directly and quickly, and good quality Igood enough for me).
                    Look at http://www.marcnetsystem.co.uk/himdrenderer004.zip
                    This works simply and easily! Give it a shot.

Comment

• Unregistered

I might be completely wrong, but the problem may have something to do with licensing. The e-mail I received from McDonald's specifically said that the songs would only be playable on one computer. I haven't read through any of the Sony stuff, but I do know that when I backed up my licenses, there were new files created on the day that I downloaded the songs. I imagine there must be files somewhere that reference the computer that you're downloading to, and the song.

To view license files, go to My Documents>My Music>License Backup.

Kinda sucks, but I'd have bought the fries anyways. :-)

Comment

• Unregistered

I was looking for a way to convert it when i found a very interesting way to convert it to WMA. Just use Windows Media Encoder.

Just play it through SoundStage and set the encoder to record through your sound card.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Apr 2004

I was looking for a way to convert it when i found a very interesting way to convert it to WMA. Just use Windows Media Encoder.

Just play it through SoundStage and set the encoder to record through your sound card.
                          So is that easier than dMC Auxiliary Input? I don't think so, I've used WME a lot and it's quite confusing and I really only use it to process video, though it can do more. Besides it's total overkill for this purpose in my opinion. But to each his own :D

Comment

• Unregistered

...this is much easier...

1. d/l a song with SonicStage
                            2. burn the songs you want as an audio cd (from sonicstage). preferably to a CD-RW.
                            3. set WMP to rip music in mp3 format.
                            4. rip the cd you just burned (in WMP)

Comment

• Unregistered

this is even easier:
                              - download sonicstage
                              - use "tools/options -> location to save recorded files" to specify any directory you want
                              - go to "music source" and open the audio cd you want to rip
                              - to the right of the "music source" frame, there is a button "record" and below, another button "format/bit rate" -> click the latter and choose "PCM (WAV)"
                              - click record
                              - all audio tracks will be copied as *.wav files to your hard disk
                              - use any tool like lame, etc. to convert them to mp3
                              ...ready
                              no burning and ripping again...
                              by the way, i do not use a sony pc ;-)

Comment

• Unregistered

none of this crap woprks, when i try to burn a f***ing audio CD or any types w/ sonioc stage it says that theres copyright prblems...

Comment

Working...

]]>