title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

m4p to mp3

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

Re: m4p to mp3

the winamp itunes plugin has hymn support and strips the DRM on the fly I wonder if Spoon will add on the fly Hymn support with Sveta a big ask and maybe a legal issue but it can be done .

Download iPod Winamp support plugin for free. ml_ipod is a Winamp Media Library plugin that allows you to send and get songs off your iPod from Winamp's Media Library.

Hymn (short for “Hear Your Music aNywhere”) was an application for removing FairPlay DRM from music bought from the iTunes Store. Hymn isn’t available any more, but this page exists to tell its story.

Comment

• JoeyGillis
      • Jul 2004

Re: m4p to mp3/Hymn and upgrades

First of all, I think apple did change their protected files so that m4ptomp3 doesn't work. So i swtiched to Hymn and it was wonderful.

THEN I found a catch.

I had converted some of my protected ITMS files to m4a to listen to on....eh hem...... another computer. I believe this was on iTunes 4.5. Then i upgraded to iTunes 4.6. On the other computer they stopped working because it wasn't registered to play those files. I found that very strange because I thought converting to m4a removed the encoding?? Then I realized with the upgrade itunes changed their validation process somehow. Hymn has since upgraded and now works again. However, my question is this...

I had falsely assumed that converting to m4a would remove the rights crap. Apprantly not because even on Hymn's site they say that it doesnt' remove the user coding.

What DOES? If i take that m4a into itunes now and convert it to mp3, THEN will it work no matter what apple does to itunes?? Or should I convert it to WAV then back to mp3?? That'd probably be safer, no? Unless mp3 has no capability to be encoded and thus, will remain safe even after itunes upgrades again.

Thoughts?

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Re: m4p to mp3/Hymn and upgrades

The new version of iTunes can detect a Hymn created file, it does not have any protection though.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Unregistered
          Apple I Tunes allows you to burn your ACC (M4P) files to an audio CD. Burn them off, and then rip them to mp3 off of the CD.

The only drawback is that you lose your tagging information
          Some of you are missing the point. Many of us have burners that, for one reason or another, iTunes refuses to recognize. Thus ALL BURNING OPTIONS ARE OUT and we need a way to convert our files via software.

Thanks to those of you actually contributing to this discussion.

Comment

• omgwtf

When I use hymn, I get 0 byte files. Any ideas?

Comment

• Unregistered

When I used the M4P Stream Processor and command prompt method, my MP4 file had no sound at all. What happened?

I'm having the same problem, and when I convert the MP4 to to MP3 using DBPowerAmp I get a 2kb file that doesn't play. I recently upgraded my iTunes app to the newer version... I wonder if they fixed the bug in the new version. Anybody know?

~alex

Comment

• Unregistered

I tried this and it worked well until I got to the convert to mp3 (or wav). When I did this the file size reduced dramatically creating an unreadable file. Any tips?

This way also involves installing iTunes, but you won't need a CD-RW. After installing iTunes, download and extract MP4 Stream Processor (http://www.techfreaks.org/utilities.shtml) and convert the .m4p file to an .mp4 file by going into the Command Prompt and typing in the following:

C:\m4p2mp4.exe c:\afile.m4p c:\afile.mp4

Changing:
                c:\m4p2mp4.exe to the path of the extracted m4p2mp4.exe application
                c:\afile.m4p to the path and filename of the .m4p file you wish on converting
                c:\afile.m4p to the path you want the .mp4 extracted and name of the .mp4 file

With your newly created .m4p file, you have two options:

1) Download and install the in_MP4 WinAMP Plug-in (http://audiocoding.com/download.php), which allows WinAMP to play .mp4 files.
                2) Download and install DBPowerAmp (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/), which will convert the .mp4 file to an .mp3 file.

Comment

• Unregistered

I tried this and it worked well until I got to the convert to mp3 (or wav). When I did this the file size reduced dramatically creating an unreadable file. Any tips?
                  I guess I am too impatient to wait for a response, so I used the old burn to Audio CD and rip back to hard drive as mp3. So far no problems...just a pain in the butt!

Comment

• Unregistered

Good Luck!

Comment

• Unregistered

Hey iTunes wont let u burn a mp3 cd if there are proctected files in the polaylist...the Apple Folks arent stupid

Comment

• ChristinaS
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2004

Hey iTunes wont let u burn a mp3 cd if there are protected files in the polaylist...the Apple Folks arent stupid
                        Who said anything in the post above about burning a cd of prtected files at all????

A link was posted to a web site (http://www.gates-of-hell.com/Tutoria...20to%20mp3.asp) that might just have the solution to this very long and convoluted problem you all seem to have. Of course, the main problem actually is that people simply don't read nor follow intructions posted or don't read until the end :vmad:

Comment

• ChristinaS
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Apr 2004

I think Admin should now close this thread since a good solution to this problem appears to have been made available as reported in http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...3041#post23041 .

So the definitive method for converting (protected) m4p to whatever else is outlined at http://www.gates-of-hell.com/Tutoria...20to%20mp3.asp .

Comment

• Unregistered

I found a cool way to do it! If you have an .m4a to .mp3 converter, you can do it. Go into "My Music" and search for the protected AAC file you want. Copy and paste it onto your desktop. Then, rename it, changing the .m4p to .m4a, and it will still work in iTunes. Then use the converter to convert it to mp3.

Comment

• Cory

Many thanks for the info and hymn link. Very straightfoward and easy with the hymn|i-Tunes method!
                              btw, its quite funny to see folks troubled by a CLI. wth?

Comment

• Unregistered

Just to answer the question on how to get past the iTunes encryption, here's how I do it:

1) use iTunes to burn your music to a cd as a music disk
                                B) use a ripping program (i use CDEX) and rip the tracks off as .mp3's
                                III) use your .mp3's as you like, or convert them to whatever format you wish

Unfortunately, to my knowledge there is no program to get rid of the iTunes m4p encryption. But why try to get rid of it, when you can simply bypass it? This method will enable you to do what you like with your purchased music.

Comment

Working...

]]>