title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

m4p to mp3

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faith

Re: m4p to mp3

Hymn is awesome, easy, and user friendly for those of us who don't speak programming language. Fantastic job. Finally, someone who helps provide an incentive to actually purchase music.

THANKS!

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Unregistered
      what about just burning the mp4's to CD and then re ripping them as MP3?

That should work, no?

Brom
      THAT WASTES A LOT OF CDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Unregistered

See that one doesnt work for me because ITunes doesnt recognize my burner...so please...I need someway to turn it to mp3...please

RE download iTunes

i did it and it worked

get 4.6

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Xenoxide
          Some soundcards (I know about the Create SB Audigy and nVidia nForce 2) allow you to specify from where the input comes from...you can change it from microphone to output. Cant you then play it and record it in sound recorder, save it as a wav, then convert to MP3 or whatever?
          If you have Creative SB Audigy you can use the WAVE EDITOR program to record the song (make shure you have it recording from what you hear and not the mic) then save it as MP3 format. I hear no drop in quality doing it this way. I'm all about paying for the music but I should also be able to play it in any format I wish.

Comment

• Unregistered

Just thought you might want to check out my HOWTO on M4P to MP3 conversion on Windows, including exact instructions on using Jon Johansen's QTFairUse to extract raw un-DRMed AAC data and turn it from Raw AAC into something actually playable.

Comment

• Unregistered

Hymn is great, but it loses some of the ID Tag information. Artist is retained, as is the track name, but album, year, etc are all lost.

How can one go about converting to mp3 without losing this information?

Lastly, the m4p2m4a program that made the rounds a month or so ago is no longer working the way it once did. Was something changed by apple that made it ineffective? Any new update to it?

Comment

• Unregistered

dBpowerAMP NOT NEEDED!!!

I think someone mentioned this earlier, if they did, kudos, it must have struck my subconsious while browsing thru the pages of this forum. Now then, to convert the m4p to mp3, all you need is the hymn program. Find the link in an earlier post. Now, drag the files you want converted to mp3 onto the Hymn icon, BOOM they are now "m4a."

The tricky part for me was finding a converter to go from m4a to mp3. (I could not get dBpowerAMP, my comp sucks) Little did i know, it was right under my nose, hidden in "iTunes."

Click on preferences in iTunes, then go to "importing" tab. Select the mp3 converter and then select the bit rate at which you want your music at. Now, use itunes and add the "m4a" files to your library. Once they are all added, select the ones you want, and then click on "convert to MP3" in the advanced menu. Wait for it to finish, and Voila!! Whew, that was fun,

--Ryan

Comment

• Unregistered

Awesome advice, Ryan. Worked like a charm. Thanks!

Comment

• Unregistered

Take a look at the "hymn" project.

Hymn (short for “Hear Your Music aNywhere”) was an application for removing FairPlay DRM from music bought from the iTunes Store. Hymn isn’t available any more, but this page exists to tell its story.

I haven't tried the software yet but they claim to at least be able to remove the DRM from iTunes .m4p files.

Perfect, you're an gent and a scholar!

Comment

• Unregistered

Anybody know why after converting a song using this method from m4p -> mp4 -> mp3, the file is less then 2k? I am pretty sure I did everything right, but the conversion takes 0 seconds to complete and the output file is teeny. I appreciate any help...thanks!

-Linus

Here is simplified, step-by-step instructions of how to convert the Apple iTunes .m4p format to a usable .mp3. For this example we will use an imaginary file called: testsong.m4p

1.) download m4p2mp4.zip from here: http://pessoal.onda.com.br/rjamorim/stuff/

2.) unzip m4p2mp4.exe to C:\

3.) move testsong.m4p to C:\

3.) start -> run -> type: cmd (press enter)

4.) in the window that opens, type: cd \ (enter)

5.) type: m4p2mp4.exe testsong.m4p testsong.mp4 (enter)

6.) close the dos window now, open windows explorer, find the new testsong.mp4 file

7.) use dbPowerAmp to convert the .mp4 to .mp3.

(to do this simply right-click on the file and press "convert to". if this option is not available it means you need to install the .mp4 codec which is available here: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-mp4.htm. this also assumes you have dpPowerAmp installed which you can get here: www.dbpoweramp.com)

Enjoy! ...and stick it to the man.

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Polymorph
                        Select all the files you want to convert and drag and drop on hymn.exe and its sweet!!
                        Thats the way it is !!!!
                        Many thanks.

Comment

• Unregistered

When ever i try to run hymn.exe a comand prompt pops up for half a second and then dissapears. any ideas on whats wrong and what i can do to fix it?

thanks

Comment

• Unregistered

Beware of updating your iTunes, or perhaps the AAC protected files have added yet another element of 'protection'. I have mac and PC. Yeah, Hymn converts to .m4a, but if you try to drag n drop into itunes it completely ignores the action and won't even attempt to play the converted .m4a file. Can't play it in quicktime either. Took the converted .m4a file to my PC and tried to use dBPower Amp......NO WORKIE EITHER!!!!, "can't open file" when I tried to convert it. So, back to rippin' to CD. I'm BEGINNING TO HATE STEVE JOBS, and I'm a hardcore Apple/mac loyalist, I can safely say I've switched party lines. So, this not only means Converter is history, but also, Hymn is a no go, at least after I downloaded some AAC files from iTunes store today. Also, tried burning the AAC files with toast to a "music CD"....that didn't work either, they were blanks and I wasted a CD, ONLY the itunes burner allowed me to burn a CD that actually played back the files in aiff form (.wav). What next, no ripping to CD's via itunes. This will be the LAST time I EVER buy anything from that piece of sh _ _ t itunes music store, EVER!!! back to Limewire/Kaza? I just wasted 3 hours of my life trying to recoup the songs I paid for after finally discovering that burning a CD thru iTunes was the only way I could get usable non-protected files. I'm pissed at Apple for not making it in bold print that their little updates are actually yet one more way to decieve the public from their rights.

Comment

• Unregistered

Alright, now i can actually run hymn but i cant find the right syntax to use. the program lists 2 different ones(one in the manuel and one in the command prompt), neither of which work. i always come back with an error

couldn't open file: (null)

whats up?

thanks

Comment

• Conrad

I just managed to run hymn its quite easy heres what I did

1) Ran command prompt cmd from windows xp run box

2) Switched to the directory where hymn was unzipped "c:\hymn"

3) moved some m4p files into the hymn folder for ease of running

4) entered "hymn *.m4p" hit return

5) marvelled at the quickness of it

6) converted them to mp3's in itunes :D

Comment

Working...

]]>