title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

There Should Be Only One...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kweller
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Apr 2002

There Should Be Only One...

There may be reasons why people want more than one instance of dMC running at the same time but I can't think of one so...

My system is set up to start dMC whenever a CD is inserted. Trouble is, if there's already an instance of dMC running (because I've just finished ripping a CD for example) it starts another one. I'd like to see it switch to the already active copy.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: There Should Be Only One...

The CD Input program? rather than the converty part (dmc)?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• kweller
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Apr 2002

Originally posted by Spoon
      The CD Input program? rather than the converty part (dmc)?
      No, the 'converty part'!

Remembering another thread I tried holding down the shift key when inserting the CD and that stopped another instance being started.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Not sure I am with you, not the part where you select the tracks to be ripped? rather dMC when it says it has 'finished'?
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Razgo
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

let's see if i can add to the confusion :D

i think kweller is trying to say that at some stage you are going to make it so you can have 2 instances of dmc running at the same time doing 2 different tasks.

so basically what would happen if you are using the first instance of dmc to convert a bunch of ape file to mp3 that is going to take 30 min's to convert, and whilst they are converting you now put a music cd in your cd rom in which you have auto start dmc upon cd insertion turned on.

which dmc will start? will it try and start the dmc that is already running?

i think these are questions kweller is asking?

if so the answer would be that you would set dmc2 to start when cd inserted but dmc 1 would be set to no start when cd inserted.

or perhaps dmc could have the ability to "cue job". that would be cool :D.

you could then set up mutiple tasks to start at various times. but hey let's not carried away just yet :D

Comment

• kweller
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Apr 2002

Originally posted by Spoon
            Not sure I am with you, not the part where you select the tracks to be ripped? rather dMC when it says it has 'finished'?
            I'm obviously having trouble explaining myself lately and the introduction of technical jargon like 'converty part' seems to be confusing matters! Let's start again...

When a CD is inserted under Windows XP it pops up a box with a selection of programs which can do things with CDs. One of those is dMC. The box also has a tick box entitled something like 'Always do this as the default action'. I previously selected dMC and ticked the box.

I put in a CD, dMC automatically starts and I tell it to rip (is that your 'converty part' or CD input?). dMC displays a dialogue box showing progress. At the end of the rip the 'Finished' box is ungreyed and I click it. dMC returns to its larger view listing the CD details.

I eject the CD and insert the next one I want to rip. Another instance of dMC starts so there are now 2.

Comment

• RossRoy
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2003

Maybe you should just deactivate the dMC autostart on CD insert, because from what you explain of your situation, you don't need dMC to start automatically.

You could go in the CD-Rom properties and change the AutoPlay setting back to "prompt me each time to choose an action" for Music CD.

Then, next time you insert a music CD, it will ask what to do. That way, on the first CD you can select dMC Audio CD Input, make sure you don't tick the remember setting box, and for the others, just tell it to do nothing.

Gotta like how XP let's you set different actions for different types of CD, like start Photoshop on photo CD, start dAP on MP3-CD, etc.

But it brings an interesting point Spoon, maybe there could be an option in dMC to allow/disallow multiple instances to be run at the same time? That way, people in kweller's situation could place it on don't run multiple instances, and other people who like having multiple instances running, like if you want to rip from 2 CDs at the same time, could do it too.

Comment

• kweller
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Apr 2002

Originally posted by RossRoy
                ...Maybe you should just deactivate the dMC autostart on CD insert, because from what you explain of your situation, you don't need dMC to start automatically...
                I could but I was rather hoping not to as I think it's a useful feature.

...Gotta like how XP let's you set different actions for different types of CD, like start Photoshop on photo CD, start dAP on MP3-CD, etc.
                Well yes, that's why I have it set

...maybe there could be an option in dMC to allow/disallow multiple instances to be run at the same time?
                That's what I was asking for! <sounds of grown man sobbing>

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

Ok I get it, we will have to see if the tooth fairy makes a visit
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• RossRoy
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • May 2003

The tooth fairy has never failed before :p

Comment

Working...

]]>