title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Save rip Secure Settings unique to each CD drive across sessions (different drives).

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • geogherkins
    • Sep 2020

Save rip Secure Settings unique to each CD drive across sessions (different drives).

I noticed this week that if I mark a CD drive as supporting cache, C2, or FUA and save the result, then select a different CD drive to rip, those settings over-write the values for the new drive. This comes up as a problem if I have two kinds of CD drives, one that supports cache, C2, or FUA and the other which does not. Quite obviously I need the rip secure settings to be saved for each drive according to that drive's capabilities.

This might be a bug, or perhaps it is a feature enhancement.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Windows or macOS?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• geogherkins
      • Sep 2020

Windows 10 64-bit.
      I also looked for a Help > About option within the dbPowerAmp CD Ripper application, but not finding any. Control Panel > Programs and Features says, program was installed on 11/29/2022 as Release 2022.11.25.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

The setting of C2 etc is stored on a drive basis:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\C DRipper\_DriveSettings

if you look in there, there is C2, cache etc.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• geogherkins
          • Sep 2020

After extensive CD drive device tests, closing CD Ripper, restarting computer, etc., I have narrowed down the inconsistency to only for these settings:
          HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Illustrate\dbpoweramp\C DRipper\_DriveSettings\D;[hardware id]\RipSpeedSecureBad
          HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Illustrate\dbpoweramp\C DRipper\_DriveSettings\D;[hardware id]\RipSpeedSecurePass2
          they do not agree with the program GUI.

FYI I took screenshots of literally everything but I am finding I cannot insert a .jpg into this post using the tool bar or the "Upload Attachments" button. The error message is 'Path cannot be empty.'

I did find, however, that the hardware test for C2 error recovery was inconsistent on one of my drives, this might be the damaged CD used was sometimes more reliably read (without a C2 required error correction). So that setting might be ephemeral depending on whether the CD is sufficiently damaged. After thorough testing I decided to leave the C2 feature enabled on the drive that (supposedly) supports it. This setting might be what allowed me to complete a Secure rip despite AccurateRip DB having no verification matches by others?

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Your drive letter should stay the same, though reboots
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• geogherkins
              • Sep 2020

Yes, the drive letter (D: and E: in this case) remains the same after a restart.

As I indicated, it appears that, depending on the extent of damage on the CD used during the C2 test, the result saved for the particular drive will vary. Now that I know the drive supports C2 error recovery capability, I have consistently applied that setting (and it is saved from session-to-session). This resulted in a secure rip.

Only the RipSpeedSecureBad and RipSpeedSecurePass2 HKCU settings appear to be in flux and do not agree with the GUI (which is greyed-out and unavailable).

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

Check yo have dBpoweramp Reference, those options require that reference is installed and registered.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>