title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

ATRAC3 & ATRAC3Plus Support

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

Re: ATRAC3 & ATRAC3Plus Support

To everyone suggesting the Winamp LiquidAudio plugin as an alternative, it does NOT work. I wish Nullsoft would change that summary. OMG, OMA, and ATP files are wrapped in completely different headers, than any player can playback/decode. Only SonicStage knows how to decode these headers. SonicStage is the only program that know's where and how to find the audio stream in OMG/OMA files. Plus, the headers of the files then tell SonicStage to go look for my license the I came with, if it is found the file is played, if it doesn't find the license it is not played. LiquidAudio, licensed some of the principals found in the ATRAC3 format from Sony and Dolby, and embedded them into their own proprietary *.LQT (AAC with DRM header) DRM format that they used to sale music in, 1 1/2 years ago (which I severely miss). The reports of SonicStage crashing when burning ATRAC3 CD's are most likely because the headers/data stream are being converted from OMG/OMA into ATP in an all inclusive burn image, then transferred to CD. (It's not burning on the fly, file-by-file directly to CD. It's creating a CD image to burn, after converting the headers). ATP files cannot be transferred back to anyones' computer and be decoded, because nobody knows the headers for this format, only Sony, thus only Sony (and AIWA, a subsidary of Sony) know how to decode and they embed this decoding only into the CD players.

To ANYONE NOT understanding what HEADERS are, here's an general everyday example. You pick up a book that starts out as English, then while you begin turning the pages the language immediatly turns into Chinese. You don't know how to read Chinese, thus you go find someone that does, but you may only know 1 person that can read Chinese text. Well that 1 person is SonicStage, and that 1 book is an OMG, OMA, or OMG ATRAC3 music file. This same rule applies for DRM'ed WMA files, *.RAX RealMusic Store files, and *.M4P iTunes files. WMA DRM'ed files can be played back on just about every single software jukebox, because Microsoft allows usage of their "langauge" to all who pay, but these jukebox's must follow the usage rules of this format. All jukebox's could playback OMG, OMA files if they paid Sony royalties for the decoding (reading) of them.

Comment

• Unregistered

Hi,

Here's how I convert my mp3s to ATRAC3 using Sony sonicstage. First convert the mp3s to CD quality .wav files (dBpower amp perfect for this).

I kept trying to get S ss to "check out" mp3s and the program would either report an error - or just crash.

Converting your mp3s to CD quality wavs presumably makes them equivalent to CDa files - which is what the program is designed to convert. Anyway once your mp3s are wavs, everything works fine. You can even choose between MDLP 2 and 4 (go to options in menu, cd recording, click on netmd and then settings).

I agree with all posts about storage - always store as mp3s, not ATRAC3. I only do above to get files on my netMD

Comment

• Princess
        • Aug 2004

Hi
        I came across this message here in the forum saying that liqiud audio plugin and WinAmp does the job to convert Atrack to Mp3. Plz let me know how to go about it, as I have downloaded both. I dont see how these two go together! Iam desperately looking out a way to convert my Atrac CD's to Mp3. Thanks.

Comment

• xoas
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2002

There appears to be some disagreement as to whether this is possible or not (see, for example, the first sentence of the first post-#196-at the top of this page.

On the other hand we have this post from Dex (who has put a lot of time and effort into this quest):
          Flash news ppl: i took me sum time but I FINALLY GOT THE SOLUTION:
          you can encode AND read atrac3 files, and even turn them into mp3 or sumthing else.
          The only player i found is winamp (with a plugin found here)
          http://winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=50864 (thnz to xaos)

and the codec is about 100k and found here:
          http://www.my-minidisc.com/index.ph...ownload_en.html (thnx to Vincent)

The codec works like this:
          it's a format of *.wav, you can encode with it using:
          Goldwave, audigrabber, sound recorder and so on.
          just select wave--> atrac3-->66/105/135 kbps.

unfortunatley dMC has a bug, it makes waves of 30mb when the file should normaly be of MAX 4-5mb

DO NOT change the extension or else it will not play in winamp.

The player doesn't know how to read this file whatever the extension is (mp3,wav,atp,omg) i don't know if crappystage knows how to read this file and convert it but in any case the god thing is that you can now transform atrac3<-->mp3<-->wma and so on, and of course save a lot of disk space.
          (Post #133, page 9 of this thread).

It had been reported that with WinAmp, the WinAmp LiquidAudio plug-in, the dMC WinAmp Input Adapter (from Codec Central) and dMC that this same conversion is possible but Dex has apparently had a negative experience with this process and he's done the field work so I have no reason to disbelieve him.

Otherwise, you can always try Sonic Stage, the one program which has apparently been authorized to convert Atrac. To pursue this this line of attack you can try these links (from post #147, p10 of this thread):
          Sonic Stage:
          As of July 5, 2004 here for Win98SE, ME, 2000:

and here for WinXP:

http://sonicstage.connect.com/SonicStageInstaller.exe.

The general website is http://www.connect.com
          You would be doing a great sservice if you let us know your results.
          Best wishes,
          Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• BMW51k
            • Jul 2004

Re: ATRAC3 &amp; ATRAC3Plus Support

Originally posted by Unregistered
            Hi,

Here's how I convert my mp3s to ATRAC3 using Sony sonicstage. First convert the mp3s to CD quality .wav files (dBpower amp perfect for this).

I kept trying to get S ss to "check out" mp3s and the program would either report an error - or just crash.

Converting your mp3s to CD quality wavs presumably makes them equivalent to CDa files - which is what the program is designed to convert. Anyway once your mp3s are wavs, everything works fine. You can even choose between MDLP 2 and 4 (go to options in menu, cd recording, click on netmd and then settings).

I agree with all posts about storage - always store as mp3s, not ATRAC3. I only do above to get files on my netMD
            What a complex way to go about it!
            You can import MP3 files to the SS library, and they remain as MP3, but with only a pointer to them if already on your hard disk somewhere. You can convert them to Atrac in the library if you want to - but why bother, apart from the fact that it makes the burn process quicker? (When you do convert while importing both formats are kept in the library if the original is on your hard drive - but you have to look at a track's properties to find this out. It's under File Info. This is described in the HELP text!).
            When you burn an ATRAC format CD, SS will convert the tracks to ATRAC3 as part of the burn process, but the library copy remains untouched.
            What SS will not do is convert Atrac format to anything else. (I don't understand the complexities of any of the suggestions in this forum on how to do that - I'm not sufficiently deeply technically literate. LiquidAudio does not work - it blows my W2000 based PC. How do you link it to WinAmp?).
            If you have the Sony computer pre-installed version of SS - it will burn an MP3 format CD, although I suspect it will not convert Atrac to MP3 - though I may be wrong. Even if it does convert, that's not a good reason to buy a Sony PC, there's other free software which will burn MP3 CD's - such as iTunes!
            Last edited by BMW51k; 09-21-2004, 02:15 AM.

Comment

• HELP ME!!

Hey all i read all the posts until page 7 when i got bored lol n it seems every1 is saying the opposite of what im about to say... I lost my cd that installed Simpl Stage Sonic Burner onto my comp for use with my CD player (not mini disc) and i cant find a copy of the prgram anywhere do ne of u kno how i could get it or could u send it to me somehow? email me at rockergurl150(deletethispart)@yahoo.com plz and thank you!!!

Comment

• xoas
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2002

Check post 199 of this thread (the second post above yours, the third above this).
                Last edited by xoas; 09-25-2004, 01:10 AM.

Comment

• Help Me!!!

Where can I find Simple Burner?!

I need the simple burner not sonic stage where can i get it? thx!

p.s. - I tried the stuff in post #199 it didnt help i already had that stuff thx tho

Comment

• xoas
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2002

Re: Where can I find Simple Burner?!

Ok...try this link:

which I found here:

Best wishes,
                    Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• Help me!!!

If i get the NetMD Simple burner will that still work for burning cds?

Comment

• xoas
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2002

No. According to the Sony Website, there are 2 different versions of Simple Burner: NetMD Simple Burner for burning minidiscs in Atrac3/Atrac3plus format and SonicStage Simple Burner for burning regular cdr/rw discs in Atrac3/Atrac3plus format.
                        Sony Simple Burner 1.1 FAQ
                        Best wishes,
                        Bill Mikkelsen
                        Last edited by xoas; 09-27-2004, 03:06 AM.

Comment

• xoas
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Apr 2002

In case the link I gave for Simple Burner turns out to be for the NetMD version, try the Sonic Stage link. It should still allow you to burn Atrac3/Atrac3plus cd's.

Comment

• Unregistered

RealPlayer solves the three checkout limit and the mp3 to atrac problem (you dont need to convert the file on the hdd - it automatically does it when transferring then deletes the *.omg file). Works with all netMD and Network walkman models from Sony.

Comment

• Unregistered

Re: Where can I find Simple Burner?!

Originally posted by Help Me!!!
                              I need the simple burner not sonic stage where can i get it? thx!

p.s. - I tried the stuff in post #199 it didnt help i already had that stuff thx tho
                              As far as I know there is no free download on web for Sonic Stage Simple Burner, you ger the software when you buy the Sony Cd player.

Comment

• Unregistered

Hey,
                                i wanna make a new mix for myself but the program doesnt allow me due to a transfer count how can i fix this problem???
                                plz answer thanx a lot

Comment

Working...

]]>