title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

ATRAC3 & ATRAC3Plus Support

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

Re: ATRAC3 & ATRAC3Plus Support

Hi I but woman!!!!

I have stupidly just bought a Sony CD Walkman D-NE900 Walkman (I should of known better with past experience of Sony) which plays Atrac is there a way to convert Atrac from Mp3 and save them to my hard drive rather than to a CD. I have had no success with SonicSTage. I have contacted Sony who gave me no assistance at all.

Has anyone in the big wide world out there got any bright ideas????

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated

Shiney

shiney19@hotmail.com

Comment

• Unregistered

Didn't you read anything?????!?!?!

Comment

• Unregistered

Is this a stupid idea?

Well, .WA3 files don't exist - yet. I downloaded the atrac3.acm thing from a link that I found on another thread. I installed it into my system and then converted a .WAV file at 132kbs using Goldwave. The sound quality is amazing. I know that this is a redundant format which creates ATRAC WAV files instead of true

Comment

• TRAFMAN

hi,
          i dont have a problem with Atrac 3, but i do with SonicStage (or my net md).

when i record something to minidisk with my microphone (e.g interiews etc) i cannot check them into sonicstage for editing, anyone any ideas?
          thanx

Comment

• Unregistered

sony does not allow the players to transfer to computer with the usb cable. you can use a double ended headphone cord and connect it from the headphone out on the player to the mic in on the computer

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Unregistered
              to correct an earlier post :-

Atrac3Plus is supported on HiMD and Atrac CD Walkman units.

in general :-

i use a D-NE1, wasn't too impressed with Simple Burner... more impressed with SS 2.0.

I'll have to check by first-hand importing, but i suspect that SS 2.0 might actually import VBR MP3's properly for convert to ATRAC (only notable if the bulk of collection is mP3 really).

SS 2.0 also adds burning mp3 & Audio cD's from library stored files (which can be ATRAC OMG's, WAV, WMA or mp3) but having not tested that function, i dont know what filetype restricts apply there.

i'll report back if anything goes postive on the tests, in case it helps towards any efforts to add ATRAC support to DMC, p/b support to DMP.

Part of the installation of ss 2.0 adds, as i recall, a directsound filter for OMG (OpenMG) files - so if any potential exists for utilising a Directsound filter plug-in.. that's another avenue to check..

Comment

• Unregistered

to correct an earlier post :-

Atrac3Plus is supported on HiMD and Atrac CD Walkman units.

in general :-

i use a D-NE1, wasn't too impressed with Simple Burner... more impressed with SS 2.0.

I'll have to check by first-hand importing, but i suspect that SS 2.0 might actually import VBR MP3's properly for convert to ATRAC (only notable if the bulk of collection is mP3 really).

SS 2.0 also adds burning mp3 & Audio cD's from library stored files (which can be ATRAC OMG's, WAV, WMA or mp3) but having not tested that function, i dont know what filetype restricts apply there.

NOTE MP3 Burner is available only with the version of SS pre-installed on a Sony laptop.
                i'll report back if anything goes postive on the tests, in case it helps towards any efforts to add ATRAC support to DMC, p/b support to DMP.

Part of the installation of ss 2.0 adds, as i recall, a directsound filter for OMG (OpenMG) files - so if any potential exists for utilising a Directsound filter plug-in.. that's another avenue to check..

Comment

• Unregistered

Re: ATRAC3 & ATRAC3Plus Support - coaster makers

SS 2.0 seems to be a really good tool for creating coasters. Out of 6 write attempts, only 2 have been succesfull. The problems occur when the create CD progress meter reaches 90%. The write light on my CD writer stays on solidly. I've left the system alone for 2 hours once it reaces this stage, and even overnight but it just didn't finish. Anyone with a clue to suggest how to get more consistent results? (I'm on W98 SE).
                  Also, the s/w refuses to accept CD-RW's. I've re-formattted them (with directCD) to ensure they're empty but they are not accepted - even with directCD then turned off as suggested by Sony. (I have the same problem using iTunes which I downloaded to burn MP3-CD's as SS 2.0 include this capability only on the Sony pre-installed version).

Has anyone ever received a response from Sony support re SS problems?

Comment

• zeraph

Please help me...

Hello:
                    i´m cuban, and i have a sony atrac3 plus walkman, but i don´thave the sonic simple burning, in Cuba dont sell this and i want to know where i can download the softw...
                    Please answer me to zeraph@swissinfo.org

Comment

• BMW51k
                      • Jul 2004

Just do a google search on Sonic Stage download. You'll probably end up at http://www.connect.com/

Comment

• BMW51k
                        • Jul 2004

Hi I but woman!!!!

I have stupidly just bought a Sony CD Walkman D-NE900 Walkman (I should of known better with past experience of Sony) which plays Atrac is there a way to convert Atrac from Mp3 and save them to my hard drive rather than to a CD. I have had no success with SonicSTage. I have contacted Sony who gave me no assistance at all.

Has anyone in the big wide world out there got any bright ideas????

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated

Shiney

shiney19@hotmail.com
                        Sonic Stage ver 2.0 does just that - i.e. you can load MP3 tracks into its library - either leaving them as MP3, or converting to Atrac3. Download info in a later query!
                        Last edited by BMW51k; 07-22-2004, 12:21 AM.

Comment

• BMW51k
                          • Jul 2004

SS 2.0 seems to be a really good tool for creating coasters. Out of 6 write attempts, only 2 have been succesfull. The problems occur when the create CD progress meter reaches 90%. The write light on my CD writer stays on solidly. I've left the system alone for 2 hours once it reaces this stage, and even overnight but it just didn't finish. Anyone with a clue to suggest how to get more consistent results? (I'm on W98 SE).
                          Also, the s/w refuses to accept CD-RW's. I've re-formattted them (with directCD) to ensure they're empty but they are not accepted - even with directCD then turned off as suggested by Sony. (I have the same problem using iTunes which I downloaded to burn MP3-CD's as SS 2.0 include this capability only on the Sony pre-installed version).

Has anyone ever received a response from Sony support re SS problems?
                          Having struggled with the frustration of SS ver 2.0, and produced many new CD coasters here are some pointers to less unsuccessful AtracCD making: (If only they were explicitly stated in the documentation)……
                          o If all you’re copying CD’s for is to burn them to an AtracCD, then set the import option to convert to Atrac3plus, 64kbps (or 48kbps for maximum CD capacity). Otherwise you may end up converting them again when transferring to the CD, and use lots of hard disc space.
                          o The process of transferring tracks/albums from the library to AtracCD is both CPU intensive, and very hungry for memory. So unless you have at least 1Gb of memory, I’d suggest transferring and burning no more than 120ish tracks or 6ish albums at once. i.e. build up the full Atrac CD in separate burn operations. This works fine on my 384Mb PC and I managed to get over 400 tracks on one CD in 4 burn operations. When I tried doing them all in one transfer and burn operation the process took longer – and failed by getting stuck at 90% complete for 2 or more hours, although it would have taken a few more tracks on the CD! But…..
                          o I think that the track capacity of an AtracCD is reduced by the number of albums and the number of burn operations. I suggest that to maximise the capacity you have as few albums as possible – e.g. if copying a double CD, transfer the first disc, then click on the album in the transfer section so it is highlighted. Then transfer the next disc – it will go onto the end of the first one – giving just one album with both discs in it. You might also, for example, have one album called The Beatles, then transfer all such discs into this album. You can still identify the original album on the AtracCD from the track details,
                          o Only the copy of SS ver 2.0 pre-installed on a Sony laptop will allow you to create MP3-CD’s (other versions of SS convert MP3’s to Atrac3 or Atrac3plus format when transferring) or to format correctly CD-RW’s for use. To create MP3-CD’s try downloading and using iTunes, and set the import and export options to MP3. (It works in a similar way to SS, but you need to convert to MP3 on the way in). Although MP3-CD’s have lower capacity then Atrac3plus ones, the sacrifice may be worthwhile as they can be played on other than Sony players and on computers. So you’re not stuck with Sony - like when you bought a Betamax VCR!
                          o Beware that if you have more than one computer each with SS on, you can’t add to an AtracCD created on computer A tracks held on computer B. You have to have the tracks on one computer.
                          o If you get clicks, pops etc, or if the player cannot read an AtracCD even though the burn seemed to go OK give the CD a polish with a lens cloth. That may well solve the problems. Computers have good error correction capabilities, the player doesn’t seem to match them.
                          o The recent download version of SS contains access to Connect Music Store where you can buy individual tracks in Atrac format for $0.99. But it’s a USA site which attempts to limit access to only USA based computers. There is a European based version of the store, but it has limited tracks. But again – when you download tracks to computer A, you cannot copy them to computer B and play them.
                          o I’ve no idea how to get SS (or iTunes) to accept CD-RW’s even though both are supposed to use them, and the player to accept them. Backup is OK with them, but not burning. Anyone out there got any ideas? I’m on W98 SE, with directCD – which I turn off when using SS.

Comment

• DeX
                            • Jun 2004

bmw51k

sonic stage is a lousy software!, i work in the programming business and i seldomly see something worse than this, only windows CD burner :P
                            when you try to make a cd MAKE SURE that you have 700MB free in docs and settings\username\local settings\app data\
                            or else it will end in an infinite cicle of erasing files and creating them again.
                            you also need to have 700 mb free on the drive where you keep the converted filez (it makes a image backup... but it never uses it in case the burning process is a dud).... even if you already have the files compressed it still copies them to "app data".... so it sucks....
                            And do not try to find new compression methods cause mp3 is great.
                            try compressing your normel mp3's to mp3 VBR, 48-128kbps, freq 22050 or 24000 (you don't need more cause you only hear from 20-20000hz)
                            i saved more than 10Gb with the conversion and you can fit almost 200mp3's on 1 cd's, depending on the genere and length... so Fook atrac3+, it sucks :p

Comment

• BMW51k
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by BMW51k
                              Having struggled with the frustration of SS ver 2.0, and produced many new CD coasters here are some pointers to less unsuccessful AtracCD making: (If only they were explicitly stated in the documentation)……
                              o If all you’re copying CD’s for is to burn them to an AtracCD, then set the import option to convert to Atrac3plus, 64kbps (or 48kbps for maximum CD capacity). Otherwise you may end up converting them again when transferring to the CD, and use lots of hard disc space.
                              o The process of transferring tracks/albums from the library to AtracCD is both CPU intensive, and very hungry for memory. So unless you have at least 1Gb of memory, I’d suggest transferring and burning no more than 120ish tracks or 6ish albums at once. i.e. build up the full Atrac CD in separate burn operations. This works fine on my 384Mb PC and I managed to get over 400 tracks on one CD in 4 burn operations. When I tried doing them all in one transfer and burn operation the process took longer – and failed by getting stuck at 90% complete for 2 or more hours, although it would have taken a few more tracks on the CD! But…..
                              o I think that the track capacity of an AtracCD is reduced by the number of albums and the number of burn operations. I suggest that to maximise the capacity you have as few albums as possible – e.g. if copying a double CD, transfer the first disc, then click on the album in the transfer section so it is highlighted. Then transfer the next disc – it will go onto the end of the first one – giving just one album with both discs in it. You might also, for example, have one album called The Beatles, then transfer all such discs into this album. You can still identify the original album on the AtracCD from the track details,
                              o Only the copy of SS ver 2.0 pre-installed on a Sony laptop will allow you to create MP3-CD’s (other versions of SS convert MP3’s to Atrac3 or Atrac3plus format when transferring) or to format correctly CD-RW’s for use. To create MP3-CD’s try downloading and using iTunes, and set the import and export options to MP3. (It works in a similar way to SS, but you need to convert to MP3 on the way in). Although MP3-CD’s have lower capacity then Atrac3plus ones, the sacrifice may be worthwhile as they can be played on other than Sony players and on computers. So you’re not stuck with Sony - like when you bought a Betamax VCR!
                              o Beware that if you have more than one computer each with SS on, you can’t add to an AtracCD created on computer A tracks held on computer B. You have to have the tracks on one computer.
                              o If you get clicks, pops etc, or if the player cannot read an AtracCD even though the burn seemed to go OK give the CD a polish with a lens cloth. That may well solve the problems. Computers have good error correction capabilities, the player doesn’t seem to match them.
                              o The recent download version of SS contains access to Connect Music Store where you can buy individual tracks in Atrac format for $0.99. But it’s a USA site which attempts to limit access to only USA based computers. There is a European based version of the store, but it has limited tracks. But again – when you download tracks to computer A, you cannot copy them to computer B and play them.
                              o I’ve no idea how to get SS (or iTunes) to accept CD-RW’s even though both are supposed to use them, and the player to accept them. Backup is OK with them, but not burning. Anyone out there got any ideas? I’m on W98 SE, with directCD – which I turn off when using SS.
                              All the above is rubbish. It happend to work OK once or twice - and I assumed I'd found "the way". But I've just attempetd to create the first part of a new Atrac3plus CD with just 80 tracks - and my PC has been sitting with the SS progress meter stuck at 90% for over an 90 minutes, and based on the System Monitor - doing barely anything at all, but using all the memory. I'm not far off the point where the cost of wasted CD's and my time fully justifies the extortionate cost of an iPod. DONT BUY SONY ATRAC EQUIPMENT - EVER. IF YOU HAVE TAKE IT BACK AND INSIST ON A REFUND. "THE WAY IS APPLE".

Comment

• Unregistered

Unlike the quick-win fanatics of the world, i actually got SS SB 1.0AE & SS 2.0 working 100% on all my post Win98 installs.

Like when i make audio CD's (i mostly do analogue rescues for vinyl junkies), simply make your first ATRAC CD on a cd-rw.

Like the tried/tested never-fails CD-R/CD-RW technique of making audio CD's, selecting a burn speed well within the limits of the CD media is a massive help.

1) So, select the low or medium burn option for making ATRAC CD's to CD-RW

2) When the CD-RW proves to be good, which it should do, on the CD deck in question..

3) Copy it to CD-R using a known good package with d-d copying mode.

If you have been given/loaned a ATRAC CD to listen to, and need to copy it - if your proggie (non SS) gives you some message about copy protection, no hassles....

A good cd imager like ISOBuster pro will definately make an image of the ATRAC CD, without hassles, and you can then burn the image using Nero or something good.

It dont solve the xxx --> atrac conversion problem, but it'll help people who are getting mad with bad SS burns

Sucess rate, using D-NE1 as playback tester, 100% to date..

As a closing point of interest :-

The ATRAC3 ACM codec - i had this ages back, long before i toyed with the D-NE1, and when i did have the D-NE1 i also had a big list of high & medium compression ATRAC3's with WAV ext.

Well, i imported them via SS 2.0, and converted to same spec ATRAC3, and did some fingerprinting of the decodes of each - and both decodes of each showed the same fingerprint each side, so it's pretty safe to say that SS 2.0 is recognising the ATRAC3 component of the imported WAV's and barely (if at all) doing anything more destructive than simply extracing the ATRAC3 code and rewriting it in the target internal format SS 2.0 uses for storing HDD based ATRAC3/3PLUS encodings..

Just though i'd add those notes to the ongoing list...

I, sadly, cannot do any more D-NE1/ATRAC CD testing as some poor local Sony fanatic made me an offer you canna refuse for my deck... as they aint obtainable round my locale any more (not that they were stocked in any mass amount anyway).

But if i do come up with anything more positive to help out, i'll post some more info...

'Tom Kat' << aka FlameGrilled @ MisticRiver

Comment

Working...

]]>