title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Batch Converter - maintain directory structure on the output

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tom M.
    • Aug 2010

Batch Converter - maintain directory structure on the output

I think it would be very useful if the converter would maintain the exact directory structure on the output. Let's say, I have 5 folders = 5 albums on drive C and I check these 5 folders, then click on Convert and then I would set just one output folder, let's say on drive D, and the converter would automatically maintain / copy the selected folders + put converted files inside them (perhaps even subfolders...). Right now it only outputs files meaning they all end up mixed together in one output folder instead of different "albums". I don't want to use additional names creating templates, I'd like to keep directories named as they are on the source - just convert the files inside them.

Thank you very much!
    Last edited by Tom M.; 08-19-2010, 03:46 PM.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Batch Converter - maintain directory structure on the output

Switch the Dynamic naming option on and set to:

[origpath]\[origfilename]
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Tom M.
      • Aug 2010

OK, thanks. Seems to do the job, kinda. But still, it copies blindy the whole path not just the selected folder.

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Tom M.
        OK, thanks. Seems to do the job, kinda. But still, it copies blindy the whole path not just the selected folder.
        clarify what you are saying here in terms of "blindly copying the whole path". give a simple example maybe. Because I know I can do this with a very complicated directory structure and it replicates it perfectly.

Comment

• Tom M.
          • Aug 2010

If the source is c:\AAA\BBB\Album\*.flac and I want the output (let's assume the output main dir is \CCC\) to be d:\CCC\Album\*.wav, with that argument listed above I get d:\CCC\AAA\BBB\Album\*.wav. It's not a big issue of course, just that I selected ONLY \Album\ not expecting to get the whole source path on the output (\AAA\BBB\Album\).

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Tom M.
            If the source is c:\AAA\BBB\Album\*.flac and I want the output (let's assume the output main dir is \CCC\) to be d:\CCC\Album\*.wav, with that argument listed above I get d:\CCC\AAA\BBB\Album\*.wav. It's not a big issue of course, just that I selected ONLY \Album\ not expecting to get the whole source path on the output (\AAA\BBB\Album\).
            I'm still confused as I thought you wanted the exact same output directory. But it seems you want to move from c: to d:. So is this correct, you want exact same directory structure but only on a different drive. If this is the case, you need to browse in the line just above the "dynamic naming" box and select "d:\" there. In the dynamic naming box, you'll still have:
            [origpath]\[origfilename]
            This should create the same file structure on d: as you had on c:

but it also seems from your example that the source is c:\AAA\ and you want the output to be d:\CCC\. So do you want the top directory to be something different. This is what I do as I want to create the exact same directory structure for mp3 files as I have for FLAC files. So for the directory (line above the dynamic naming) I have:

d:\mp3\

and in dynamic naming I have:

[TRIMFIRSTFOLDER]\[origpath]\[origfilename]

not sure about the \ between trimfirstfolder and rest, but just experiment.

This way, it takes my d:\FLAC\ARTIST\ALBUM\tracks
            and converts it to a separate directory that looks like:

d:\mp3\ARTIST\ALBUM\tracks

EDIT: note that if you want to ignore the first two folders in directory structure, just put trimfirstfolder in twice in a row in dynamic naming.
            Last edited by garym; 08-21-2010, 01:59 PM.

Comment

• Tom M.
              • Aug 2010

Sorry, I put it not so clear in the beginning. I wanted to maintain directory structure but yes, only from "album level" down - from the folder which you select in the window, not the upper and root folders.

Apparently those arguments like [TRIMFIRSTFOLDER] only kill one folder from the upper path right? It's not very practical having to count how many times I need to use it. It's probably easier just to let it go with all the path structure and then browse inside.

Comment

• vjp
                • Aug 2010

I have the same requirement where I want to remove the "\users\<user>\music", and I achieve what I want by using [DEL]. Eg.

[DEL]1,16,[origpath]\[origfilename][]

I this example it deletes the 1st 16 characters from the original path name and puts the file in the folder specified in the conversion parameters.

Comment

Working...

]]>