title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

dts & ac3

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spice B.
    • May 2007

dts & ac3

It would be nice to have these two codecs become a part of a future version of dMC. Now that it is relatively easy to rip-off .dts files off a DVD-Video, a conversion feature to .wav or any other format would come in really handy.

Also, I'd like to pick an expert's brains with this question on dts tracks. I know dts surround is not a lossless codec. When playing dts tracks, I see, in foobar2000, a 48kHz sampling rate, 6 channels, and a bitrate of 1536 kbps. A simple calcuation tells me that the resolution must be around 6 bit per sample. Is it really that low, or am I making a mistake somewhere? If it is really that low, then what makes dts sound so much better than an audio with a redbook CD specification?

Thanks
  • daren
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Apr 2002

Re: dts & ac3

Hi,

dMC can decode DTS and AC3 files, if you install the dBpoweramp directshow decoder codec, AC3File and AC3Filter (free - search "AC3Filter download" via Google).

DTS and AC3 are compressed audio formats. With DTS, 6 channels of linear audio at 48kHz are compressed into a 1536 kbps stream (3 times smaller than linear).

It probably sounds better for you (very personal), due to the higher sample rate (48kHz as opposed to 44.1kHz for audio CDs), more emphasis/room is given to the left and right channels as they contain more information than the other channels, and the fact that there are more channels which gives a more spacial feel.

Best regards,
    Daren.

Comment

• Spice B.
      • May 2007

Thanks, Darren, for your response.

I have the AC3 filter already installed on my PC, and just now I installed the DirectShow decoder as well, per your suggestion. But I still don't see any option of converting the tracks into wav. I'd appreciate a further comment.

Sound quality of DTS and Dolby tracks also sounds better than a redbook audio CD because of the intelligent filtering of "noise" based on their psychoacoustic model of design. Human mind (not brain) tends to ignore certain sounds, which are filtered out by these encoders, which causes a direct emphasis on the remaining sounds that then appear intense. I tried comparing the sound of PCM 5.1 tracks from a DVD-A with DTS 5.1 tracks from the video zone of the same DVD-A. There's a world of difference in the depth. Difference between them was the same as the difference between DTS 5.1 and a 44.1 audio CD. So, they are lossy alright, but sound, or say, "appear to sound" better (to me) than most audio CDs.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

See the help file for the directshow decoder.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>