title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Lost functionality

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JeremyP
    • Jul 2006

Lost functionality

I upgraded a few days ago to the latest release; realised I had a really quit old version. Much improved all round - BUT, there is one piece of functionality removed which seems to me a step backwards.

I can't tell you the version I was running, but it would have been installed a couple of years back, maybe even three. What could be done with that version select files and the use right-click/convert, batching up files from different folders (and different formats, e.g flac & shn), and then when you were ready, convert the lot.

Now if you select files from a second folder, right-click and convert, another instance of DbPower is invoked. Now even on a powerful machine, CPU is battered by even 2 running at once. Much better 100 files sequentially, than 4 of 25 concurrently.

Do you not think? Can we have that back, please?
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Lost functionality

Use Batch Converter to convert multiple folders at once. This utility used to be called "File Selector". If you go into dBpoweramp Configuration (See "need version number?" below to find it) into the "Music Converter" tab, you can add "Batch Converter" to the right-click menu.

Comment

• Tigerman
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Mar 2005

Just had to convert a few directories from flac to mp3. Was looking for the keep path on convert function.

But found this in your FAQ:

Q: Why can Batch Converter only put my files in one directory or in the original directory?
      Q: Where is the "Keep Path on Convert" option for r12?

A: As you have noticed, the "Keep Path on Convert" option has been removed in dMC r12. It has been replaced by the Reference-only "Dynamic Naming" which allows for more powerful directory creation.
      However, this means that PowerPack and free users only have two options: put the files in their original folder or put all files in one new directory.
      Although I am not using them often, I can't say I'm happy with removal of this handy functionalities :(

Personally I think the only 2 improvements of 12 above 11.5 are:
      A) the CD-ripper, but that's not complete without cue-sheet support. So for CD-ripping I still use EAC.
      B) the replay gain codec, so I don't have to use foobar for adding tags.

Every other aspect of 12 is, IMHO and for the things I use DBpoweramp for, not an improvement.

Most things are making it's way back in 12 (like default tags, and the Description/Comment issue in flac/vorbis files) so 12 is usable again.
      But overall I think it's a downgrade if you go from v11.5 powerpack to v12 powerpack.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

CLI Encoder is no reference only., download it from codec central, it is not even Power Pack.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Tigerman
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Mar 2005

Thanks for enlighten me. I was put on the wrong track by this page http://www.dbpoweramp.com/db-versions.htm
          where is stated that Command Line / Scripted Encoding is reference only.

Maybe I miss interpreted that page or is it a slip of the keyboard?

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

By "Command Line.. Encoding" he means calling dMC itself from the command-line and encoding some given files.

Comment

• Tigerman
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Mar 2005

Ah, so I miss interpreted that page, excusez moi!

Comment

• JeremyP
                • Jul 2006

Originally posted by LtData
                Use Batch Converter to convert multiple folders at once. This utility used to be called "File Selector". If you go into dBpoweramp Configuration (See "need version number?" below to find it) into the "Music Converter" tab, you can add "Batch Converter" to the right-click menu.
                Well, the batch approach is certainly a step backwards. Would be OK if I got the right-click option to batch, but despite having ticked that option in the configuration, and re-booted, there is no right-click "batch" option.

Comment

• JeremyP
                  • Jul 2006

Originally posted by LtData
                  OK, it's at the directory level. I usual work by selecting the files to convert and then righ-clicking. Not quite so intuitive, but I guess it's OK. Thanks!

JP

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

Select Files, right click >> Convert To
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Skelshy
                      • Aug 2007

Well.. I have "Dynamic" turned grey as well... which makes the program useless... welcome to trash bin! I think it's kinda stupid to take features away. There is no visual clue as to why it is disabled either. I tied to get it to work on three different machines because I used to use an older version before I reinstalled this box.

You don't think I will pay you for wasting my time, eh? Disgusting.

Comment

Working...

]]>