title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Request for SPT support in Vista

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OscrDGrch
    • May 2007

Request for SPT support in Vista

Hello,

This dMC wishlist entry is in reference to the following support request:

poweramp can't see my DVD drive (Vista)

Although Windows Internal is a workaround, I'd really like to use SCSI Pass Through for full secure ripping functionality. I'm running dMC Reference 12.1 in Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit and trying to access a Lite-On LH-20A1L SATA CD/DVD burner.

Secure ripping is the single most important feature for me. I've become very dependent on CD Ripper. Thank you for looking in to this.

Cheers,
    McE

P.S. Since Windows Internal is recommended for use with limited accounts, I tried temporarily elevating permissions for CD Ripper (Run as administrator) and even disabling User Access Control (Local Security Policy) but neither resolved the issue.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Request for SPT support in Vista

You can still use secure ripping with Windows Internal, you just lose the C2 errors.

Comment

• OscrDGrch
      • May 2007

Originally posted by LtData
      You can still use secure ripping with Windows Internal, you just lose the C2 errors.
      Although I am still using secure ripping, the C2 functionality would be useful. From the CD Ripper: Secure & Advanced Options page:

"C2 Error Pointers for Error Detection (dBpoweramp Reference required) an important and useful aspect of secure ripping, detection is 100% accurate if a badly scratched CD is used for detection."

With Windows Internal you also lose the ability to detect FUA, drive speed, and other drive technical capabilities. Having the full secure ripping functionality would make me rest easy at night.

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

You lose the ability to detect FUA and cache, but can you still use these options?

As for the SPT support, I believe it is a known bug (as you linked to another post), but I'm not sure what needs to be done to fix it. I believe it might have something to do with the command set that dMC uses, as r12 only supports one, but r11.5 supported many different ones. However, r11.5 does not support Vista very well, so I hesitate to recommend for you to try it and see if it works in the default settings. However, it might help us narrow down if the command set is the problem or not, so I instead ask you to do it, please.

If you do decide to test it, see the instructions here for how to let dMC r11.5 and dMC r12 play nice with each other: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/legacy-compatibility.htm

Comment

• OscrDGrch
          • May 2007

You lose the ability to detect FUA and cache, but can you still use these options?
          I am able to detect and set the drive's read cache but the option to detect and enable FUA is not available. Thanks for looking in to this.

I don't think I'll be testing the down-rev dMC anytime soon but I'd be happy to give you as much information about what's installed on my system currently.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

The Internal access is only needed for limited accounts in XP, in Vista even limited accounts can use SCSI Pass Through. I am guessing it is a difference between 32 bit and 64 bit, do other programs, such as EAC work?
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

Spoon: the other poster that is linked to in the first post had the same problem (SPT didn't work) but Windows internal did, but he was using 32-bit Vista, albeit still Ultimate.

Comment

• OscrDGrch
                • May 2007

Originally posted by Spoon
                I am guessing it is a difference between 32 bit and 64 bit, do other programs, such as EAC work?
                I haven't tried EAC but Nero and ImgBurn seem to be working.

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

Perhaps my mistake, I am loged on as admin, but requires uac to access anything system related, which for cd drives does not need uac.
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• OscrDGrch
                    • May 2007

Perhaps my mistake, I am loged on as admin, but requires uac to access anything system related, which for cd drives does not need uac.
                    Yes, I receive the same result. Whether I am logged in as Administrator or a user that is a member of the Administrators local group, launching CD Ripper does not require the UAC confirmation.

The reason I went down the UAC route was that I hypothesized SPT might make UAC-significant system calls as local system or some other user context. It doesn't appear this was the case because disabling UAC did not resolve the problem.

Comment

• sldvd
                      • Aug 2010

Replying to a post from 2007...

Did that change in later versions of dbPa? I just tried running dbPa in a limited user account under Windows XP, and the Communication is set to "Windows Internal", but the Secure ripping option is grayed out. I can only use Burst mode.

I can use Secure ripping fine under Administrator (but of course I'm not using Windows Limited under Administrator), but I can't even select Secure mode under a limited user account (which has to be set to Windows Limited).

EDIT: I just did a little test - under Administrator, I set it to Windows Internal, and it still allowed me to select Secure ripping. But it won't let you select Secure ripping when you have it on Windows Internal under a limited user account for some reason...
                      Last edited by sldvd; October 31, 2010, 02:55 AM.

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

Secure Ripping is allowed in XP with Windows Internal, but you need a registered dBpoweramp. Only c2 pointers are disabled.
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• sldvd
                          • Aug 2010

Secure Ripping is allowed in XP with Windows Internal, but you need a registered dBpoweramp.
                          I am currently running the trial version, but under Administrator I can still choose Secure ripping. Do you mean that for limited users to be able to choose Secure ripping with Windows Internal, you need the registered version?

Only c2 pointers are disabled.
                          The message that popped up after I set it to Windows Internal under Administrator seems to suggest that some other things are disabled too:

"Windows Built-in method is unable to perform: C2 error pointers, FUA cache clear, reading & setting drive speed and reading the drives technical abilities"

Comment

• Spoon
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

The trial cannot activate under the non-admin account.
                            Spoon
                            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>