title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Dreaming, I suppose...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dizwell
    • Feb 2007

Dreaming, I suppose...

I can't begin to tell you how many tracks I rip have been tagged by complete musical illiterates:

Qui Chiamata M'Avete - Bella Cosi, Madonna

..for example. As If These People Usually Go Around Speaking In InitCaps! Thus we end up with symphony movements tagged something like

In Gemdchlicher Bewegung, Ohne Hast

...with a complete disregard for the fact that in German you use capital letters for nouns, not For Every Word That Happens To Come Along In The Sentence.

I don't know what programmatically you can do to combat this sort of thing, but it would be nice to have some sort of tag editor that can universally apply a lowercase function. Then at least I'd only have to adjust the occasional word here or there.

Just a thought.
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: Dreaming, I suppose...

I am not sure if this will meet your requirements or not, but I will mention that one of our alert users has told us about a piece of tag editing freeware called The Godfather.
    This program will perform batch tag editing for a widde variety of formats and it looks to me like you could get it to create lower case only tags. You can check it ouot here:

Best wishes,
    Bill

(Thanks to Petriburg for the original tip)

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

For R12 we use AMG for meta data, it should have better spelling.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• EliC
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

I suggest you take a look at musicbrainz and help out there. It is a carefully groomed metadata set. I have been hoping spoon would add plugin support for R12 (or 13) so that a musicbrainz plugin could be added. In the mean time, it looks like helium music manager may soon have musicbrainz support when it adds musicip support. AMG is good, but certainly not perfect. But what else can you do?

The Godfather is not terribly user friendly and I dont think it will really do what you want it to.

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

The Godfather can't exactly do what he wants, but it can change the entire tag of a particular field to only be lower-case.

Comment

• JahSun
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Nov 2003

You can program Mp3Tag to do any kind of Tag or Filename editing. Once you get the hang of the strings (i.e. %artist& - %track number% - %title%) it does a good job. You can easily go all lower case. But it also has multiple database checking with artwork as well. It will do Amazon, Discog, Freedb and a couple others if you can configure it.

It may help. http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ It supports all the main codecs, and best of all, it is FREE.

Good luck...

(Might be especially useful once your AMG trial runs out :smile2

Comment

• dizwell
              • Feb 2007

Actually, though I hesitate to mention it here, Foobar 2000's Masstagger does the job -of string manipulation- quite neatly, though you need to know your substr and instr functionality! (I have a manual available explaining how to do it for anyone that's interested, though I won't link to it here in case I'm thought to be trawling for traffic).

A nice feature of that tool is where you get people tagging things like:

Symphony No. 1: Allegro
              Symphony No. 1: Lento
              Symphony No. 1: Allegretto

... since I'd rip these three tracks to their own separate 'album', no matter what else is on the CD they come on, I don't need the 'Symphony No. 1' bit in the track name. Masstagger let's you say 'find the position of the colon-space combination, drop everything up to that position, and only leave everything after it behind'.

I suppose I'm really asking for bulk string manipulation in general, not just an InitCaps remover... a la Masstagger.

(dMC rips far, far better than Foobar 2000, I have to say!)

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

> suppose I'm really asking for bulk string manipulation in general, not

dBpoweramp is possibly more 'advanced' than fb, by virtue of exposing ID Tagging to a com object. That gives you the ability to do what you want in Visual Basic, or c#, whcih is pretty much anything.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• dizwell
                  • Feb 2007

A bit beyond me, I'm afraid... but not, presumably, beyond the wit of the guy who wrote dMC in the first place. Hence the wish...

Comment

• JahSun
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Nov 2003

I'm not plugging Mp3tag, but it can do all those masstag functions. You can easily program a string to erase up to the colon or whatever. If you have no other recourse... or even if you do... it is a nice little piece of freeware to have in the pocket.

IMHO

Comment

• dizwell
                      • Feb 2007

Fair enough, but this is a wishlist forum... and I wish dMC had this capability!

Comment

Working...

]]>