title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Usability tweaks for CD Ripper

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ash
    • Feb 2007

Usability tweaks for CD Ripper

(Background Info: I've been using iTunes for a few years, but have installed dMC so I can rip my CD collection to FLAC.)

First, file naming and path:
    The onscreen help from within CD Ripper doesn't match the Naming.htm help file. In particular, the onscreen help is missing the IFEQUALS syntax and examples.
    Programmatically, I suggest you make the all the IF commands consistent with IFVALUE, which allows an optional ELSE clause, e.g.:
    [IFEQUALS]tag,equals,stringequals, stringnoteequals[]
    This could reduce the complexity of naming requirements like this:
    I am having a hard time with the naming setup. Hopefully someone can help. Ideally, what I would like: Single artists go to: Flac/Artist/Album/Artist - Album - ## - Title Various Artist: Flac/Various Artist/Album - ## - Artist - Title Various Artist (Soundtracks - special cases): Flac/Soundtracks/Album - ##

Auto-ripping:
    You can configure dMC to auto-eject, but not to auto-rip (or, if you can, it's not at all obvious.) I'm used to iTunes automatically ripping anything I stick in the drive, and ejecting it after it's finished. At the moment, I'm leaving my CDs for ten or fifteen minutes doing nothing before realising I have to do two things: 1) Hit 'Refresh' or 'Retry' to tell dMC the CD has changed, and THEN 2) I have to hit 'Rip' again. Having to do this for every CD is a waste of the users time.
    (If auto-ripping is posssible, please tell me how, and make it more obvious in the UI - e.g. the Options menu or dbPoweramp Configuration tool)

AccurateRip:
    The idea of AccurateRip is great. But if I configure things to auto-eject, I don't get to see if any tracks ripped inaccurately or not ('View Current Error & Information Logs' doesn't contain any information after the CD has ejected.)
    As I'm a kind and giving citizen (*cough*), I don't mind spending time ripping securely and contributing to the AccurateRip database. I don't want to waste time pointlessly though, so I'd like a way of saying:
    If the CD is in AccurateRip, rip at Burst speed, retrying if there are any errors.
    If the CD is not in AccurateRip, rip Securely, and contribute data to AccurateRip.
    Sadly, there doesn't seem to be an (obvious) way to do this...

That's all for now. Thanks to Spoon and co' for their hard work.
  • Teknojnky
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2006

Re: Usability tweaks for CD Ripper

Good suggestions, would like to see the auto-rip option included soon.. as its a standard feature on several common applications (wmp/itunes/etc).

Comment

• bhoar
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Sep 2006

Re: Usability tweaks for CD Ripper

You can use a tool such as AutoIT as a short term workaround. Have it scan for the window/dialog title/contents and push the button whenever it is encountered.

-brendan

Comment

Working...

]]>