title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Error correction and reporting

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JahSun
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Nov 2003

Error correction and reporting

I love my DMC, and use it for everything... except when I have a noticeably scratched disc. In these cases, I am forced to go back to EAC because DMC doesn't have the robust error reporting and correction... yet?

:o

And while I appreciate all the work on the Accurate Rip stuff, it will never take the place of good error reporting and correction. Accurate rip requires that someone (or a number of someones) have already contributed your exact disc to the database. (Same release, edition, pressing) For most CD's there are a plethora of versions available in various markets (europe, japan, america etc.). Worse still for me, no one is going to be Accurate Ripping taper archived shows. Ripping bootlegs (jam bands allow the taping and trading of their shows) it is important to have confirmed accuracy in the ripping to lossless format.

I know many of my friends in the taper community would love to use DMC as it is clearly superior in most ways... but they can't until DMC supports thorough error correction and reporting.

My suggestions:

1 Incorporate MD5 generation into DMC
    2 Utilize an EAC style error reporting to let you know if the rip is good without having to listen to it.
    3 Include some error correction routines for minor errors. (or if you already have this, then inform the user that it has been applied at the end of a rip)

With these simple additions, I could get all my friends to abandon EAC and come aboard the Illustrate ship. I realize that some error correction has to do with the drive that is doing the reading. (My Samsung rips much cleaner than my Sony for questionable discs... it also takes longer) But you would be surprised at how much a simple error report at the end of a rip would make "anal audiophiles" happy.

*Yo. Just checked out your latest DMC12 (alpha) stuff, and this http://www.dbpoweramp.com/secure-ripper.htm and I must say that it seems you are well on your way to fulfilling this wish!
    Last edited by JahSun; October 27, 2006, 10:03 AM.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Error correction and reporting

> am forced to go back to EAC because DMC doesn't have the robust error reporting and correction... yet?

Im my opinion dBpowerAMP R12 (in the beta section) outperforms EAC by big margin. MD5 is used by R12 where the codec allows (FLAC, Monkeys, Wavpack).
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• JahSun
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Nov 2003

Re: Error correction and reporting

I sorta jumped the gun, and realized after the fact that your new beta was already on the case. (See my *) I guess I'll "go beta" and try it out when I have some time to do the re-install thing and play around.

Hope DMC 12 hits the big leagues soon...

Comment

Working...

]]>