title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Can't seem to encode two files simultaneously

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lump1
    • Aug 2006

Can't seem to encode two files simultaneously

Hi, I've done quite a bit of reading in these forums but this is my first post.

I think dMC is close to becoming my "go to" music encoder, but one missing feature makes me want to keep using Monkey's Audio to convert my APEs to lossy codecs like MP3.

The missing feature: Being able to have two encoding tasks going on at once. Monkey's Audio just lets you choose how many simultaneous jobs you want to allow. This is great for someone like me with a Core2 Duo chip!

I know Spoon mentioned on another thread that v12, due out early in 07, will support dual-core processors. This sounds like something unnecessarily fancy. Monkey's Audio can peg both of my cores at 100% use just by encoding two files at once, and the speedup is addictive!

-----

Edit: A clever reader may ask me why, when I have a lot of music to encode, I don't do half of it in one batch, and while that's still running, start encoding the second half in a second process.

Well, I tried that. Sure enough, it maxes out my CPUs at 100%, but I think it confuses either dMC or the external encoder (I've tried now with oggenc and lame). What happens is that some of the new files end up being size 0. I even tried this with both batches in different folders, so that the temp files don't trip over each other, but the 0-size thing kept happening.
    Last edited by lump1; August 21, 2006, 06:24 AM. Reason: Addendum
  • Razgo
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Can't seem to encode two files simultaneously

i was able to get it to do this about 4 years ago, but that was rip and encode from CD http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=631

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

The closest thing dMC r11.5 can do right now is encode one file to two formats simultaneously using the "Multi-Encoder" or "Multi-Processor Multi-Encoder" located in the beta section of this forum.

Comment

• lump1
        • Aug 2006

Just to be clear, I'm not looking to rip/convert to two formats at once. I want to have two parallel processes, each one encoding a different file. I checked back in the hope that maybe someone played with this more and figured out a solution to the null file size problem I described above.

Comment

Working...

]]>