title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Discussion of dMC R12 Alpha

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill41
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Nov 2004

Re: Discussion of dMC R12 Alpha

Originally posted by LtData
    From the download thread:So no, it is not supported yet. In fact, there isn't a FLAC codec for dMC r12 yet. You would be better off going back to dMC r11.5.
    LtData - You had better check again, because I believe there is a flak codec for r12.

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

Hmm, must've overlooked that in the last update. Oh well.

The rest of my statement does stand, though: if you want to convert multiple directories, you will have to go back to dMC r11.5

Comment

• EliC
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

alpha 6 is consistently crashing for me when it goes into secure ripping mode. I wish I could give more details but its taking my whole system with it...

WinXP Pro SP1
        Athlon 2500+
        1gig DDR
        Plextor PX-W5224A

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

What settings do you have set for Secure mode?
          I.E. Did you check FUA Support, C2, etc?
          Do you have AccurateRip configured?
          What formats are you converting to?

Comment

• EliC
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

What settings do you have set for Secure mode? Standard
            I.E. Did you check FUA Support, C2, etc? Yes, Yes
            Do you have AccurateRip configured? Yes
            What formats are you converting to? FLAC

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

No user mode program (which CD Ripper is) should be able to take the entire system with it, even if I tried to write such a program I could not. The issue will lay in buggy drivers, somewhere.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• EliC
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

Originally posted by Spoon
                No user mode program (which CD Ripper is) should be able to take the entire system with it, even if I tried to write such a program I could not. The issue will lay in buggy drivers, somewhere.
                Any idea what drivers I could look into? Its clearly related to CD ripping. I have had eac bring my system down frequently. I tried the rip in the same system with my Plextor PX-712SA and secure rip was actually able to rip the track

BTW, for communication setting I have been using SPT w/ dMC.

Comment

• LtData
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • May 2004

Try this:
                  Check your DMA settings for the disc drive. Go to Control Panel --> System --> Hardware --> Device Manager. Once there, click "IDE/ATAPI Controllers" and double-click on the one named something like "Secondary Channel" or, if there is just one choice, double-click on it. Go to normally the second or third tab, and make sure your drive is set to "DMA if available" and NOT "PIO Only".

If you cannot set it to DMA, AND the secondary channel is a separate choice, close the properties window, right-click on the secondary channel, and click "uninstall". Click OK on the window, then click Action --> Scan for hardware changes. It should detect the secondary channel, if it does not restart. Make sure the drive is now set to DMA mode.

If this happened, why? Well, WinXP has a "feature" that sets drives to PIO mode if there are a lot of read errors. This results in CPU usage whenever you try to use your CD drive, and I mean HIGH CPU usage. It also makes any audio sound like absolute crap if it is played while the CD drive is in use in any form. You can still rip fine, just not rip and play audio of any sort, even speech software like Ventrilo or Skype sounds horrible.

Comment

• EliC
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • May 2004

Any chance of making the CD case arround the album art optional?

Also, there are 2 places for selecting drive and they are not consistent. There is a starting dialog and the menu in the left lower corner. I suggest getting rid of both of these and having drive tabs. These could be along the top or on the left and bring up the whole menu for each different drive in the system and allow for multiple ripping sessions at a time.

Also, it would be nice if the log was written in real-time, so if there is a crash or something the tracks dont need to be re-ripped.

Thanks. Its really coming along VERY nice. Ive been playing with one disc, 9 tracks. EAC was only able to rip 1-3 at all, had read errors on 4-9. dMC ripped 1-7 with AR verification confidence 7 without breaking a sweat. Track 8 crash my system multiple time in my PX-W5224, but was able to be accurately ripped in my PX-712SA. Track 9 is proving difficult or immpossible to rip. But it seems to be performing nicely as a test disc.

Comment

• EliC
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • May 2004

Lt. Data,
                      Thanks. I could swear that in the past I had confirmed all my drives where set to DMA. Now when I go tomy device manager I dont actually have either a primary or secondary IDE.

That being said, my 5224A is connected via a Promise ATA133 controller card and I cant find where the DMA settings would be.

Comment

• LtData
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • May 2004

It should still be under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Also, on some systems, there is not a primary and secondary IDE, just one entry that controls all 4 devices on both the primary and secondary IDE.

As it says above, XP can switch the drives to PIO if a lot of disc read errors are encountered.

Edit: See here for some more information: http://www.overclockers.com/tips839/
                        Last edited by LtData; 10-07-2006, 06:20 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

>and allow for multiple ripping sessions at a time.

We plan on eventually doing another program which sits above multiple cd rippers, like a master controller, with eventual support for automated ripping as well.
                          Spoon
                          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• EliC
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • May 2004

Originally posted by LtData
                            It should still be under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Also, on some systems, there is not a primary and secondary IDE, just one entry that controls all 4 devices on both the primary and secondary IDE.

As it says above, XP can switch the drives to PIO if a lot of disc read errors are encountered.

Edit: See here for some more information: http://www.overclockers.com/tips839/
                            I know this is really getting a bit off topic but Im trying to find out if this is a bug w/ dMC or just my setup. There are NO settings in IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers for DMA. What I do have under my resources tap of my nVidea nForce IDE controller is a change settings button that is greyed out, so I cant use it.

Comment

• LtData
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • May 2004

But it should still show what transfer method they are using, IIRC.

Comment

• gaillard
                                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                                • Aug 2006

c2 detection works wonderfully now Spoon.

As does the ripping itself, quite remarkable...

Thanks !

Jonathan

Comment

Working...

]]>