title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

DBPower Amp Beta 6 and DSP Effects

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jnhvac
    • Mar 2005

DBPower Amp Beta 6 and DSP Effects

Using the 24 bit DSP Effect I notice when listening to a 44.1 16 bit file, the volume will go much lower with this effect enabled.

When listening to a 96 24 bit filte it seems to keep teh volume level consistant, and may even notice a slight change in the quality of output.

What is happening here, Is it a glitch or is this normal. What is the DSP supposed to accomplish.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: DBPower Amp Beta 6 and DSP Effects

Have a look for the settings it will be settings for the dsp it to 23 or 22 bits, the idea is if you use the Equalizer the data has room to grow in volume.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jnhvac
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Spoon
      Have a look for the settings it will be settings for the dsp it to 23 or 22 bits, the idea is if you use the Equalizer the data has room to grow in volume.
      O.K. This did not address my question about why the volume is tremendously decreased on a 44.1 16 bit file when the 24 bit DSP is enabled.

It also did not address my question as to weather there is any benefit using this DSP on a 24 bit file.

Also I have not idea what you mean by "Have a look at the Settings" there is no "Settings" menu.

Comment

• jnhvac
        • Mar 2005

I found the settings on the DSP 24 bit effect. As you decrease the bits from 24 bits to say 22 bits then I guess the volume goes down considerably. Are you supposed to just compensate by turning the gain up to compensate?

What happens if you simply leave the setting at 24 bits. It seems the volume is normal at this point. Am I still getting the benefit of added EQ range when at 24 bits?

Comment

• jnhvac
          • Mar 2005

Well played with it a little more. I dont like the DSP on 16 bit files. It seems to attentuate the volume and reduce the dynamic range making the file sound a bit flat. Can not figure why anyone would use it even with the EQ, as it sounds much better with the 24 bit DSP disabled on a 16 bit file.

Help me understand this better. Am I missing something?

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

It depends on your sound card, the data is the same so if your sound card can play with a certain accuracy the next bits down, remember that dsp just pushed down by 1, 2 bits. True 24 bit audio files are some 8 bits lower on depth!
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>