title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Asset R5 Discussions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simes_pep
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Dec 2013

Re: Asset R5 Discussions

As part of the Naim Beta program - release has been available still the end of February and has been testing well.
    I hope that Naim are going to make it available soon.

Thanks,
    Simon.

Comment

• utonian
      • Dec 2013

A weird quirk has emerged for me with Beta 8 only when I stream over the internet. My remote setup (on Windows 7) is Asset + BubbleUPnP + Foobar at work. The quirk is that some of the genre selections fail to load in Foobar: click and it might flash "loading" for a millisecond and then nothing. The other genres load fine, and as far as I can tell everything else is also fine for Artist/Album etc, although I haven't gone through methodically. I tried a portable installation of Foobar and got the same results for the same genres. Rebuilding the library likewise had no effect. However, all the genres load fine when I reinstalled 4.3.

The BubbleUPnp app on my phone loads all the genres with the beta. Ditto for Foobar at home. It's only with Foobar out of the local network. I don't remember having this issue with earlier betas but I didn't keep those earlier versions to try out now. It has me flummoxed and perhaps it's unrelated to Asset. It's definitely not something that will keep me up nights since 4.3 works fine but I thought I'd post in case anyone has some ideas to try.

Comment

• nautibuoy
        • Dec 2011

Hi Spoon. Yesterday I updated my DAC so that it is now able to accept and decode DSD streams (native dsf/dff or DoP). The network renderer board in my DAC has leds that indicate whether the incoming data is pcm or dsd (and 44.1KHz or 48KHz data families when that's relevant)

I have Beta 8 of V5 on my laptop along with a small library of dsf files. On my BubbleUPnP controller I selected the V5 library and sent a dsf file to my DAC. Music played but the leds indicated that the data was pcm format at 176KHz (i.e. 44,1KHz data family). In asset V5 config I have dsf and dff set to 'as is'. I was expecting native dsd to be streamed but it appears to be transcoding it to DoP?

On the same laptop I also have JRiver Media Center installed and I know that has good DSD capability. I was able to point that to the same collection of dsf files and send music to the DAC, which indicated it was receiving native dsd format data.

I'll spend some more time on testing the different formats but any ideas?

Cheers

Ray

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

You would have to enable the debug log in asset to view what is being served (and also presented on browse).
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• nautibuoy
            • Dec 2011

OK, will check it out and report back.

Thanks

Comment

• nautibuoy
              • Dec 2011

Hi Spoon, ref my previous post about transcoding of DSD data...

This evening I've done a couple of tests with the Asset debug file turned on; attached is a zipped folder containing two debug files.

There are two debug files:

'asset to botic' - this is the debug file produced when I sent a dsf file from Asset V5 Beta 8 to my DAC renderer (named Botic) using BubbleUPnP as the control point. The debug files shows that the dsf file was trancoded to wave, which is why the DAC renderer doesn't identify the incoming stream as dsd data (i.e. the DSD led unlit). Music played.

'asset to JRMC' - this was produced when I used JRiver in UPnP/DLNA mode. It's library was mapped to the same Asset instance as the previous test and it's player output was selected as the Botic DAC renderer, which identified the incoming stream as DSD data (DSD led lit). The debug file shows no transcoding. Music played.

Clearly Asset V5 is able to stream native DSD data and my Botic DAC renderer is able to accept native DSD data, so the question is why is the dsf data transcoded to Wave DoP in the first test? Asset config has dsf format streaming set to 'as is'

Ideas?

Ray
              Attached Files

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

For the file which played in the log we present 4 urls:

The control point (Bubble) is choosing the 2nd one down, because it thinks the player cannot play .dsf natively
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• nautibuoy
                  • Dec 2011

OK, thank you Spoon. I guess the next step is to have a look at Bubble configuration?

Ray

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

Renders (players) advertise what they can play, and a control has to match what is available with what can be played. It could be the player not saying it can play dsf.
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• nautibuoy
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Spoon
                      Renders (players) advertise what they can play, and a control has to match what is available with what can be played. It could be the player not saying it can play dsf.
                      But it played dsf using upnp via JRiver? I'll do some research and experimenting, maybe try a different control point, such as PlugPlayer.

Comment

• nautibuoy
                        • Dec 2011

Hi Spoon, by setting the options for .dsf and .dff files to 'as is single' I was able to send files from Asset V5 b8 to my DSD capable renderer using BubbleUPnP as the control point.

Ray

Comment

• nautibuoy
                          • Dec 2011

Hi Spoon, using the config settings I mentioned in my previous post I'm now enjoying native DSD64 and DSD128 streamed from Asset V5 b8 on my laptop; it sounds excellent.

The only issue on this setup that I'm experiencing is that occasionally a track will truncate and playback will skip to the next track but I put that down to network errors as the laptop is only using a wireless connection (I understand streaming native DSD uses UDP network packets so no guaranteed delivery) and I use the laptop as, well, a laptop. I anticipate wired network connections to resolve the issue.

The easiest way to achieve a better network quality of service (and make everything more convenient generally) would be to run V5 on my QNAP NAS! Any idea of an ETA?

Cheers

Ray

Comment

• simes_pep
                            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                            • Dec 2013

+1 for R5 on Linux based platforms

Comment

• Spoon
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2002

No current eta, sorry.
                              Spoon
                              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• nautibuoy
                                • Dec 2011

No current eta, sorry.
                                Well at least you know of our interest if that has any sway with your work scheduling

Comment

Working...

]]>