title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

dBpoweramp Music Converter R14.3

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xTobix
    • Oct 2011

Re: dBpoweramp Music Converter R14.3

Hi peter,

Originally posted by PeterP
    Regarding inconsistent separators: we now use the slash character as a delimiter for multiple values in ID3v2.3, per conventions from the ID3v2.3 specification.
    is this only used for mp3 tags, or will vorbis/flac tags be affected too? And how do you intend to handle Multi Encoder output option (mp3 and flag)?

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Update 1st August

One more change to the mp3 tag writer:

More robust year tag handling, more robust iTunes sort tag handling, corrected some other field names to match old dB versions.
      ---

@xTobix FLAC / vorbis are handled differently (correct to that spec)
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mville
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Spoon
        One more change to the mp3 tag writer:

More robust year tag handling, more robust iTunes sort tag handling, corrected some other field names to match old dB versions.
        Grouping tag in iTunes is still showing as blank.

Year tag appears to be fixed e.g. MM appears OK. However, if I just save (without making any changes to the mp3 tags) in MP3Tag, the Year Tag reverts to YYYY only (no MM). To clarify this, I view tags in Edit-ID and Year tag shows 1975-12. I open the file in MP3Tag, save file and close. I view tags again in Edit-ID and Year tag now shows 1975.

Also, I have noticed that ID3v2 character encoding has changed from Unicode-16 to ISO-8859-1.
        Last edited by mville; 08-01-2012, 10:19 AM. Reason: finding more problems

Comment

• PeterP
          Super Moderator
          • Jul 2011

Strange, "grouping" works here (mapped to dB "style" field as in earlier dB releases).
          Regarding MP3Tag, I will report this to the MP3Tag author.

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

Strange, "grouping" works here (mapped to dB "style" field as in earlier dB releases).
            Hmmm, I have style info separately from GROUPING. My grouping field for mp3 files (which I've added in mp3tag) is %contentgroup%. And this in turn shows up a GROUPING in itunes.

Comment

• mville
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by garym
              Hmmm, I have style info separately from GROUPING. My grouping field for mp3 files (which I've added in mp3tag) is %contentgroup%. And this in turn shows up a GROUPING in itunes.
              Yes me too. %contentgroup% for mp3, %style% for flac.

When ripping to mp3, R14.2 works fine i.e. %contentgroup% is populated. With R14.3 %contentgroup% is empty. Whether this is by design or a bug I do not know. What I do know is that the changes introduced in R14.3 beta are not consistent with R14.2, when ripping to mp3 (flac is fine).
              Last edited by mville; 08-01-2012, 12:03 PM.

Comment

• PeterP
                Super Moderator
                • Jul 2011

OK, ID3v2 TIT1 "style" vs "content group description" misbehavior identified:
                Old dB writes TIT1 when told "content group description" but reads it back as "style".
                Will fix the new version to do the same; thanks for the reports.

Note about ISO 8859 vs UTF-16 encoding use:
                The new ID3v2 writer attempts not to modify the tag any more than necessary to write the requested fields to it; fields that are not being modified are usually left intact - with original text encoding preserved. If the tag was encoded in ISO 8859 before, updating it with dB will not change all the existing fields to UTF-16; only fields actually being edited should appear as UTF-16.
                Last edited by PeterP; 08-01-2012, 02:02 PM.

Comment

• mville
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Dec 2008

PeterP, I suspect dBpoweramp has the problem. In CDRipper I have Year set as:

When CD is ripped to mp3, in MP3Tag, I get Year (%year%) and Date (%date%) tags populated as follows:

This can't be right, can it?

Comment

• mville
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Dec 2008

Regarding inconsistent separators: we now use the slash character as a delimiter for multiple values in ID3v2.3, per conventions from the ID3v2.3 specification.
                    Sorry to bang on about this but there are also problems with Conductor, ConductorSort, Soloists and SoloistsSort separators in R14.3 beta.

Comment

• thexfile
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • Jul 2010

I'm having a lot of CDs not download Composer info. Everything else is there, only composer info is missing.

PerfectMeta will show no composer info in any of the services.

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

I doubt it is specific to R14.3, rather the databases do not have composer for those discs....
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• twit
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Jul 2010

I don't know if the lastest version was intended to resolve the lyrics issues or not, but the lyrics issues remain in the latest version.

Comment

• PeterP
                            Super Moderator
                            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by mville
                            PeterP, I suspect dBpoweramp has the problem. In CDRipper I have Year set as:
                            (...)
                            This can't be right, can it?
                            The new dB version manipulates ID3v2.3 TYER/TDAT fields strictly according to the specification. If it turns out that most of other software cannot handle this properly, we will loosen the standard compliance to allow better compatibility.

Comment

• mville
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Dec 2008

The new dB version manipulates ID3v2.3 TYER/TDAT fields strictly according to the specification. If it turns out that most of other software cannot handle this properly, we will loosen the standard compliance to allow better compatibility.
                              So TYER contains YYYY and TDAT contains DDMM?

Comment

• d2b
                                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                                • Aug 2010

Re: dBpoweramp Music Converter R14.3 (Vorbis Comment Requests)

Spoon, et al...

Please consider these requests for the 14.3 release, and certainly for version 15 when development commences:

1. Add Publisher as an additional option for mapping Label in the Configuration > Codecs > Advanced Options > FLAC ID Tagging > Vorbis Comment Mapping *1.

Reason: Publisher is a better description than either Label or Organization, especially since so many CDs are 'published' by independent artists rather than record companies. Furthermore, J. River Media Center uses Publisher to describe this tag. Lastly, audio books are not published by record labels.

2. It is imperative to us that all FLAC tags entered with a semicolon/space combination between multiple entries on the same line be written as individual tags. This happens for some tags such as Composer and Style,but not for tags like Producer, nor does it happen for custom tags like Performer that we created.

Reason: There are VorbisComment recommendations that the Performer tag be entered in this format: PERFORMER=John Doe (Lead vocals, acoustic guitar, banjo, mandolin). If this is done when there are four or five performers or even more on a track, each with multiple roles and instruments, the single-line tag that results is too long to be handled by dbpoweramp and other applications, including the PC's operating/file systems. According to the VorbisComment recommendations, multiple entries under a field name should each have their own FLAC tag.

3. Add an option so that the track length, if written as a FLAC tag (LENGTH=X), can be written as mm:ss rather than in milliseconds.

Reason: This seems like it ought to be a no-brainer, even if it is has to be added included as an optional choice rather than by default.

4. Add an option to permit (force) FLAC tag field names to be written in all uppercase format, even though the VorbisComment standards specify that letter case should not matter.

Reason: Upper case field names appear to be the defacto standard for FLAC files and for the other tools that read and/or tag them. It makes it much easier to identify FLAC tags with a hex file viewer. At least one application that we use requires upper case field names in order to display the track title and artist correctly.

Items 1 & 2 above are our highest priority, but because of Items 3 and 4, we have to post-process ripped albums using mp3tag in order to obtain usable files. We also cannot use dbpoweramp to enter Performer tags because they end up too long, requiring that we post-process albums using mp3tag to add/create the Performer tags. The workflow because of this is daunting, to say the least, when it could and should be possible to do this all in one fell swoop using CD Ripper.

TIA for considering these requests.

d2b

Comment

Working...

]]>