title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

dBpoweramp Music Converter R14.3

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: dBpoweramp Music Converter R14.3

Originally posted by Spoon
    Update to R14.3

FLAC defaults to non map Comment, Conductor, ...
    Just noticed the changes to the the Vorbis Comment Mappings 1, 2 and 3 to Leave as Label, Leave as Conductor and Leave as Comment respectively.

What is the reason behind these changes?

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

No one follows this standard, except dbpoweramp and we constantly have to explain it...
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mville
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2008

No one follows this standard, except dbpoweramp and we constantly have to explain it...
        So to comply with the standard as mentioned on the xiph.org website, the mappings would be set as:
        Label to Organization, Conductor to Performer, Comment to Description?

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

I'm a bit confused then. I'm using 14.2, and it currently shows as Vorbis Comment Mapping *3 - COMMENT to DESCRIPTION. So currently, my FLAC files that have text in the COMMENT field show up in COMMENT when I look at other software (for example as comment in mp3tag and as comment in foobar2000). So I guess this mapping is taking "description" and mapping it to COMMENT currently. Correct?

(I'm surprised this will change in the 14.3 default as I have lots of software that shows me "comment" but never tried DESCRIPTION anywhere). Looks like I'll be able to map it however I want, but was just curious about music software that uses DESCRIPTION rather than COMMENT in FLAC files.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

>Label to Organization, Conductor to Performer, Comment to Description?

Correct

Undoing the mapping will have no issues as if a program mapped Description to Comment for displaying, then if was stored as Comment, it would show comment also...
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mville
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2008

A new change in the handling of multiple value tags when ripping/converting MP3 files in R14.3 has impacted on what I can see in MP3Tag, so I guess this is strictly aimed at advanced MP3Tag users.

The Composer tag shows fine in both dBpoweramp Edit ID-Tag and MP3Tag when populated with multiple values.

dBpoweramp Edit ID-Tag Composer tag:
              David Freeman; Barry Gilbert; Joseph Hughes

MP3Tag Composer tag:
              David Freeman/Barry Gilbert/Joseph Hughes

However, ComposerSort tag has problems.

dBpoweramp Edit ID-Tag ComposerSort tag:
              Freeman, David; Gilbert, Barry; Hughes, Joseph

MP3Tag ComposerSort tag:
              blank (in earlier versions of R14.3 I got: Freeman, David/Gilbert, Barry/Hughes, Joseph)

So, this looks OK in Edit ID-Tag but not MP3Tag. Any ideas how I resolve this in MP3Tag? TIA
              Last edited by mville; 07-07-2012, 07:30 PM. Reason: tested on mp3 files only

Comment

• mville
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by mville
                A new change in the handling of multiple value tags when ripping/converting MP3 files in R14.3 ...
                I can confirm that the multiple value tags issues outlined in my previous post (no. 81) is related to ripping and converting mp3 files. Just tested ripping and converting flac files and all is OK in MP3Tag. (I do not use other file formats so cannot comment on them).

Comment

• PeterP
                  Super Moderator
                  • Jul 2011

Thank you for your report.
                  I've tested this exact ComposerSort value, MP3Tag appears to read it fine here, I guess there's some other factor affecting it that I'm missing. Can you please email me the exact file you've tagged that MP3Tag is having trouble with?

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

Update 10th July

We have fixed an issue with the mp3 tag writer for the above issue.
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• twit
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • Jul 2010

Thank you very, very much for the latest Vorbis Comment default mapping changes! As you pointed out, for better or worse very few applications follow the use of xiph's recommended use of Description or Performer. I especially value the adoption of the default Tracktotal and Disctotal.

You have a customer for life with the kind of decisions you made on this! If you could ever get a consensus across your programs, foobar2000 and Mp3tag on what is written to tag fields to recognize separate values in multivalue tags (for example artist, genre, composer) I would be even more eternally grateful (ummm....don't ask me what 'more eternally grateful' means).
                      Last edited by twit; 07-11-2012, 12:20 AM.

Comment

• xTobix
                        • Oct 2011

Hi Spoon,

thanks for all the updated versions. R14.3beta seems to converge nicely. As far as I can tell it works fine with me now (version JULY-10).
                        Keep going!

Comment

• twit
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Jul 2010

Regarding the latest beta of 14.3, I've noticed a new undesirable behavior: when converting from flac to mp3, DMC's internal field of YEAR is mapped to TXXX YEAR instead of the TYER frame as in all previous versions.

When ripping, CD Ripper correctly maps internal name YEAR to VorbisComment DATE per the default FLAC settings, and I've confirmed that the FLAC files correctly have a DATE tag field. But when converting from such a FLAC file to mp3, no matter what I do, I can only end up with a TXXX YEAR tag field and no TYER frame. I tried the default and every combination of tag mappings between DATE and YEAR using the ID Tag Processing DSP when converting, but no impact. Tried all of that with both v8 and v9 DSP.

Comment

• Spoon
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

If you rip 1 track to mp3, it is stored as TXXX YEAR?
                            Spoon
                            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• xTobix
                              • Oct 2011

And something else...

If I try to use my external USB-CD-ROM drive, I have switched manually at it because the internal drive has always priority (in my case anyway). It starts straight away scanning the CD, detects the gaps, and fetches the media data. Right after that, it hobs back to the default internal drive. If the ripping process is stated it fails to readout the data, since there is no CD in the drive. If I manually switch it back it starts analyzing the CD again, once done the default drive is activated... and again... and again. Hence ripping with the external drive is currently not possible for me unless I disable the internal hardware for good.

Would it be possible to set the manually chosen device automatically as default until it is changed or the hardware disappears and it automatically falls back?

Only with the external drive, detecting gaps of the same CDs takes now minutes instead of seconds. This was not the case before and it felt about equal compared to my internal drive.
                              Am I the problem or is a fix required?
                              Cheers!

Comment

• twit
                                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                                • Jul 2010

If you rip 1 track to mp3, it is stored as TXXX YEAR?
                                Yes

Comment

Working...

]]>