title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Asset uPNP & DLNA

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marty
    • Jan 2009

Re: Asset uPNP & DLNA

Hi,

I have tested 0.97 with PS3. There are still the menu-problems but if you have found the songs they are played well.

Greetings

Marty

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Will the GUI and Asset work with Slim duet and / or Sonos ZP90? and what kind of control is possible (eg. iPAQ 214 WM6 or PC desktop without remote)
      The GUI will be on the PC where asset runs, on WHS the GUI will be in the Console.

>Also, how far off do yuo think R2 will be?

A fair while.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• TomP
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Spoon
        The GUI will be on the PC where asset runs, on WHS the GUI will be in the Console.
        Hi Spoon,
        My question was really whether the GUI will work with Slim Duet or Sonos? and whether any kind of remote control is possible with such as the iPAQ 214?

Thanks...TomP

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

The setup GUI would not run on any of the devices you mention.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Shutterman
            • Jan 2009

Forgive what may seem to be obvious questions to those more experienced, but I'm new to the world of streaming audio.

My uPNP device is a DLNA compliant preamp (Denon AVP-A1 HDCI). I want my preamp to be the device that decodes FLAC files that I'm considering putting on a NAS drive. This would enable me to not have the a PC running when I wish to listen to music. The main shortcoming to this device (i.e., the Denon preamp) is the GUI. It is horrible to navigate with, and is incredibly slow.

What I'd like to know is, can Asset provide any benefit in my situation? That is:

1. Can Asset be configured to bitstream FLAC files from a NAS drive, such as those from ReadyNAS, Qnap, or Illustrate's RIP NAS, etc.?

2. Will Asset's GUI either replace or improve on my device's GUI?

Thanks.
            Last edited by Shutterman; 02-04-2009, 06:23 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

1. Yes, but asset would have to run on a Windows, or Windows Home Server system.
              2. If your device allows to browse as the trees defined by the upnp server, some do, some do not.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Shutterman
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Spoon
                1. Yes, but asset would have to run on a Windows, or Windows Home Server system.
                In the case of a PC running Windows XP with a NAS drive attached...I take it the PC would have to remain on when browsing and/or serving files with Asset?

2. If your device allows to browse as the trees defined by the upnp server, some do, some do not.
                Yes...I believe it does allow for browsing trees as defined by the server.

Comment

• dvdr
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Shutterman
                  In the case of a PC running Windows XP with a NAS drive attached...I take it the PC would have to remain on when browsing and/or serving files with Asset?
                  Yes.
                  I do not know about your configuration (why would you need a NAS and a Windows PC and not just a Windows PC running Asset and holding the audio files) - but consider the following: you need to configure asset to access the NAS-Drive via LAN (for example by assigning a drive-letter in Windows to your NAS drive or the audio-folder within the NAS).
                  I would assume, that access speeds (indexing files etc.) for Asset are then limited by network-speed. If that is no problem for you, then go ahead and do that.
                  BTW: as far as I know, some NAS-drives allow connection via SATA, so you could get best of both worlds...

Comment

• Shutterman
                    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by dvdr
                    Yes.
                    I do not know about your configuration (why would you need a NAS and a Windows PC and not just a Windows PC running Asset and holding the audio files) - but consider the following: you need to configure asset to access the NAS-Drive via LAN (for example by assigning a drive-letter in Windows to your NAS drive or the audio-folder within the NAS).
                    I would assume, that access speeds (indexing files etc.) for Asset are then limited by network-speed. If that is no problem for you, then go ahead and do that.
                    BTW: as far as I know, some NAS-drives allow connection via SATA, so you could get best of both worlds...
                    Thanks, dvdr. After Spoon's response, I more or less figured that would be the case.

As to the configuration I seek...the whole point of having the files served directly from an application that resides on and serves from the the NAS drive (e.g., Twonky) instead of a PC is for convenience and to conserve resources.

In most home theater setups, it's desireable to be able to listen to music whenever the mood strikes. To provide this capability, and to provide the convenience of not having to boot something up each time, one would need to leave the serving unit on for most hours of the day...if not 24/7. While you can do this with a PC, it will consume more resources to do so. Then too, some processes run on the PC simultaneous to someone listening to music may interfere as well. A NAS drive that you can leave on for most hours of the day is a nice (although not the only) altertantive.

Comment

• Mike Harris
                      • Jan 2009

Shutterman

I am with you on this but after reading some of the earlier threads the only way to make this work (as the software is Windows only) would be to buy a small Windows Home Server box and use that as your NAS. This does tempt me even though I have a good but basic 1TB NAS already. It is an expensive option though compared to most comparable systems on the market.
                      Maybe the RIPNAS option is the way to go if there is no Linux version in the pipeline.

Mike

Comment

• Shutterman
                        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Mike Harris
                        Maybe the RIPNAS option is the way to go if there is no Linux version in the pipeline.
                        Mike
                        Thanks, Mike. If, in fact, Asset is everyhing it appears to be shaping up to be...then that's just one other reason for purchaing the RIPNAS unit over other NAS drives.

I realize I could build my own WHS, but my time is limited these days. I could purchase a WHS from HP, but it too has certain drawbacks for my particular implementation. So, it's starting to look more and more like the RIPNAS unit may be hitting just the right sweet spot for me.

Comment

• Spoon
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

Updated to 0.98

PS3 - Compatibility

Passes out image/jpg for album art (needed by some programs)
                          Removed [All Artists] item from Artists (did not need)
                          Changed Title listing to list [a to z] and [all tracks] (have to remove the AssetUPnPDefinedBrowseTree.txt file)
                          Listing Track Ids so each unique (within different containers)
                          When browsing for metadata no longer return track listing
                          Bug Fix - Tracks returned had container parent ID of two above
                          Bug Fix - BrowseMetadata returns correct for containers
                          Bug Fix update ID was not updating on BrowseMetadata

The next update will feature configuration GUI and Sonos Add Albums capability.
                          Spoon
                          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• gwlevans
                            • Feb 2009

Hi,

Has the Windows Home Server version been updated? It still says version 0.97 when I try and install it in the console?

Thanks,

Gareth

Comment

• Rudolf
                              • Feb 2009

Hi Spoon, hi dvdr,

obviously I encountered the same problems as dvdr:
                              dbpoweramp 13.1, flac-codec installed, asset 0.98, LinnGui v1.4-0.1 (Bute), Linn Sneaky DS.

Thanx to Da Man and the others now the Linn-gui/Linn Sneaky DS work without having to force wave-output, so bad-bye to Twonky!

Adding an album in the Linns gui (the titles appear in the righthand window) shows all titles in black letters; starting playback they are greyed, but appear below again in black. Is that a Linn issue or yours?

And thank you Spoon for your quick answer concerning downloading - my English did not allow me to understand "download as first message" - I'll try my very best in the future, promised!

Rudolf
                              Last edited by Rudolf; 02-19-2009, 02:54 AM.

Comment

• Spoon
                                Administrator
                                • Apr 2002

> starting playback they are greyed, but appear below again in black.

I think a Linn issue, we have no control over the playback or volume buttons.

RE WHS: We forgot to update the version number, this have now been corrected so willl show 0.98.

When updating on WHS uninstall Asset first, then reinstall.
                                Spoon
                                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>