title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Asset uPNP & DLNA

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ratty
    • Jan 2009

Re: Asset uPNP & DLNA

Originally posted by Mike Harris
    Not sure if you have noticed as well, if you close the software and re-start it anything in the queue refuses to play.
    Yes. For pre-existing items in the queue Sonos says it can't connect to the media server. Dragging and dropping fresh items from the Asset tree is fine.

Comment

• bsd107
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by marty
      Hi,I have also one question: I only got PCM with 48kHz out of the ps3 (optical output), why this? the wave-files are 44,1kHz
      I'm pretty sure that this is an unfortunate limitation of the PS3.

Interestingly, if you are using the PS3 to rip an AudioCD, you can choose to encode (i.e. MP3, ACC or WMA) as either 44.1kHz or 48kHz. And when playing back AudioCD's, you can choose to play back in 44.1kHz or upsampled multiples of 44.1kHz. SACDs get upsampled to PCM also at higher frequencies.

But, playing back other audio seems limited to 48kHz, however. That's all I've ever seen coming from the PS3 while playing audio files from the XMB (except for directly from CDs/SACDs), and I'm using HDMI.

Comment

• dvdr
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Sep 2008

Just found another strange thing, that I can't explain so far:
        When for example browsing genre, I get an entry " (unknown genre) ", and there, different options to display album, artist etc.
        Strangely enough, when I browse inside this " (unknown genre) " there for example, all my Abba-albums are listed, including all (properly tagged!) tracks.
        When I go back and start with genre and choose "Pop", then again, I do get Abba and all Abba albums and all Abba tracks.
        So right now, I cannot find and REAL "unknown" entries, since doublechecking with a few albums and artists, " (unknown genre) " seems to be populated with all there is in the database, no matter with or without a genre-tag ...

Same happens, when trying to browse a "composer"-tree (that I added later on, so no influence from that earlier on)

Comment

• dvdr
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Sep 2008

... same happens when choosing:

-album artist - unknown album artist - album = all albums
          - compilation - yes - album artist - unknown album artist- album = all albums

I should mention, that this happens with PlugPlayer and with Songbook - when I browse with Linn Kinsky, the application crashes at these points, so no way to verify across control points, unfortunately
          Last edited by dvdr; 01-15-2009, 12:21 AM.

Comment

• dvdr
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Sep 2008

"unknown ...." -issue & Plugplayer / Songbook support

I could ONCE get Kinsky not to crash with the above problem: also in Kinsky, there is the same "unknown..."-issue

Also, here's some further testing on Plugplayer and Songbook support (both running on an iPod Touch 2nd gen.)

Plugplayer works (known bug: when waking up from standby, wait until WLAN-Connection is back up before starting Plugplayer - but even then, sometimes it looses access to "Asset uPNP").

Songbook has problems in my setup (Linn DS): I can browse and add to the playlist, but I cannot play files - hitting play and skip commands does not result in an action.
            When I start Plugplayer, though, I can see the playlist created earlier by Songbook, and I can play these songs (I cannot access the Player with the remote control though!) The other way 'round (creating a playlist with Plugplayer, trying to start playback with Songbook, does NOT work though).

Also, I had the following issues with Songbook:
            - it seems to block something within Linn DS software, sometimes, I had to disconnect the unit from the mains, since the whole unit was unacessable and locked up
            - sometimes, when loading tracks from Songbook and later on trying to start playback with Plugplayer, all I got was 3 seconds of white noise at full level, then Linn DS locked.
            - a hint for bug-search (when this is an issue with asset-uPNP and not something only related to Songbook): when loading a playlist with Songbook (and if I remember correctly with Plugplayer as well) and later on starting Kinsky to see, what's in the playlist, I do not see titles in Kinsky's playlist, but four-digit-numbers with an extension, something like 4515.flac

So I guess, even the latest build of Songbook has an issue in communicating with Asset uPNP (haven't tested with Twonky, yet, will do so asap)

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

Re: "unknown ...." -issue & Plugplayer / Songbook support

I have as Sneaky DS latest firmware with Songbook latest release and the two work fine with asset, are you on the latest of each?

The only issue with the latest Songbook is the sorting of items, where [a to z] and [album] will appear down near the end of the listing.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• dvdr
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Sep 2008

Hi Spoon

yes, Sneaky DS with latest firmware, Asset 0.96b, Songbook just downloaded yesterday from AppStore.
                Tested it with Twonky just a minute ago - works fine, plays without problems!
                I'll try to revert Sneaky to the old firmware and do a fresh update, maybe that helps, don't know...
                BTW - try the following: load tracks with Songbook and/or Plugplayer. Close them. Start Kinsky on your computer - do you get titles there or numbers with an extension in the playlist?
                Last edited by dvdr; 01-15-2009, 09:19 PM.

Comment

• dvdr
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Sep 2008

Spoon

I did a complete reinstallation of Asset uPNP (including deleting all files, NO special configuration, everything default).
                  Also completely reset Sneaky, rebootet to fallback-firmware, then flashed with current firmware through Config-Utility

The following happens:
                  - Songbook switches on Sneaky
                  - I can browse Asset uPNP server
                  - I can add files to the playlist
                  - when I hit play, there is a loud noise (white noise) for about 2 seconds (sometimes I can guess some rhythm in it), then both Sneaky and Songbook freeze
                  - Sneaky cannot be controlled nor switched off by the handset
                  - I have to reset Sneaky by unplugging mains

Next test:
                  - Adding music to the playlist with Songbook
                  - Closing Songbook
                  - Starting Plugplayer: Songs are recognized in the playlist, but cannot be played back - plugplayer cannot access media loaded by Songbook, nor can the remote control. Plugplayer freezes, needs to be forcefully closed and Sneaky needs to be unplugged from mains.
                  - when Sneaky is restarted and I start Plugplayer, then it defaults to Ipod Touch as Media renderer. When I go into configuration, Sneaky is usually greyed out and takes some time to connect, and: I have two or more instances of Asset uPNP in the bottom! One is accessable, the others are greyed out -I can delete them, but not access them.

Next test:
                  - Adding songs with Plugplayer
                  - Closing Plugplayer, starting Songbook
                  - Songbook sees the playlist and can access it, I can pause and skip!

All of the above mentioned does not happen, when I use Twonky-Server

So: in my setup, Songbook clearly is able to access a playlist loaded by another application and also can handle this playlist. So over here, something MUST be wrong with the way, Songbook itself writes files into the playlist in conjunction with Asset uPNP - songs are visible, but not accessable and freeze both Sneaky AND all control devices.
                  Last edited by dvdr; 01-16-2009, 12:13 AM.

Comment

• bucuniu
                    • Jan 2009

Good morning
                    I am new in this thread and forum ... would need your advise ... I have bought a T+A MP1250R and want to buy a QNAP TS 109 Pro II (1TB) ... now i am wondering which media server should be be my choice ... in the AUDIO.DE forum I have learned about the beta version of ASSET UPNP ... as I already use the CD RIPPER and COVERTER from dbpower it would make sense to use the ASSET UPNP ... but apparently it is not supporting Linux ... are you going to include LINUX soon as well or can you give a recommendation on another NAS or media server?
                    Regards
                    GG

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

Asset runs under Windows, and perhaps Linux using Wine.
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Mike Harris
                        • Jan 2009

Spoon

I have finally answered you PM (sorry about that).

Wine is unlikely to ever run on any of the embedded devices as they are headless with low memory footprints (generally 128MB or 256MB).
                        Is it feasible that the software source could be ported to Linux and Mac (as it would be very close).
                        Once the source code was converted and compiled you would potentially need to keep multiple binary formats for the different devices. If you go to the Twonky download page (haven't had an account since I bought my Sonos) you used to be able to download about 10-15 packages for the various architectures.

Mike

Comment

• dvdr
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Sep 2008

UPdate to the "Songbook" Issue

Hi Spoon

I did some more testing with Songbook/iPod Touch/Asset uPNP and found out an interesting detail: when you enable the option "Force to WAV", then songbook works (I have mostly flac-files). If you disable it again, then I run into the same problem again (besides: same trouble, when choosing LPCM, that results in a short hiss, and Sneaky locks).
                          Of course, I tried what happened, when I disable "force to wav" and only load a 44.1/16 uncompresse wav-file. I run into the same trouble, even wav-files cannot be played back. That even makes the whole thing stranger, since an original wav-file is not accepted, but when I choose "force to wav" and try to load that very wav-file, then it's playing...
                          Oh, and now, when choosing "force to wav", I do get little pops and clicks between titles, like a scratch on a vinyl disc...
                          Hope, that helps in identifiying the problem.
                          Last edited by dvdr; 01-21-2009, 02:49 PM.

Comment

• kalda01
                            • Jan 2009

Re: UPdate to the "Songbook" Issue

I have just installed the Asset-UPNP software on XP and I can browse my audio library via DSM-520 media player.
                            However I can only play MP3 but not FLAC files.
                            It is not clear how to enable Flac to be played as WAV.
                            Please advise...Thanks

Comment

• dvdr
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Sep 2008

Hi
                              if you can browse your collection, then you should see the following: below navigation entries like "Artist" or "Album", there also is an entry for options (the configuration / the settings). Browse into that and you will find an entry called "force to wav". Click on is as if you wanted to play it like a song, that will enable this option - the entry now should change from

force to wav []
                              to
                              force to wav [x]

Then you can play any file format, that is supported by dBpoweramp, as long as you have installed the appropriate coded in dBpoweramp (codec downloads on the homepage in "codec central").

Comment

• kalda01
                                • Jan 2009

How do I check if a codec is installed, and also what is "force streaming to LPCM"used for?

Comment

Working...

]]>